PDA

View Full Version : First sketchup and bench design question :)

Nigel Tracy
02-25-2009, 10:11 PM
Hi guys and gals,

I’m in the early stages of my first utilitarian furniture project-- building some benches for our lodge—and would love to have some design input.

I’m hoping to find a rock solid design that looks simple and rustic.

I have started to build a prototype in the design below (my first sketchup attempt) in rough 4/4 pine and am pleased with the look. The design is simply my own throw-together approach, and I thought I’d show it to the pros to see if anyone had any ideas to improve it.

Specifically, the seat top is 4/4 pine, about 100” by 12”. if the span of the top between legs is about 7’, is the 1x6 centre support (stretcher?—not sure of names here) and the two 1x3 skirts/aprons (?) enough? Is there some standard for this?

Let me know what you think!

Thanks,

Nigel

keith ouellette
02-26-2009, 12:11 AM
I am no pro ( not by a long shot).

They way it looks to me is that if the bench is 100" long and is supported along the center by a center ridge board (not sure what it is really called but its the board that runs underneath along the center) it would allow the bench top to twist over time.

as far as aesthetics go (for a rustic look) I think you would be better off with two round legs at each end and a skirt along the front (and back for extra support) Maybe natural logs for both. that is if you can find a 100" long log that is long straight and 100" without it being to thick so you can saw one side flat to fit snug against the top.

Nigel Tracy
02-26-2009, 6:56 PM
Hi Keith and thanks for the comments,

I agree with your suggestion to use logs for skirts, but I may end up making 24 of these benches, thus a need for relative simplicity. I may have to rely on the rough pine for "rustic" appeal.

Attached are photos of the prototype:

As you've warned, I'm finding myself worrying about twisting as well. How does one prevent twisting?

(Also, I humbly admit I just discovered there's a "design" forum... mods please move this thread there if you see fit)

Mike Gager
02-26-2009, 7:17 PM
might consider making it 96" (8ft) since thats a common length for lumber