PDA

View Full Version : I think I get it.....

JohnT Fitzgerald
02-25-2009, 9:10 PM
(somewhat wordy after a few IPA's....so bear with me.....or is it beer with me? haha).

I don't do a lot with hand tools - my chisels are a generic set I bought about 10 years ago, and I don't have a lot of planes and they're all nothing to write home about.

But I think I finally 'get' that the appeal, or satisfaction, is from using hand tools.

I made a point to work on learning to sharpen my chisels and planes. I thought I had done an 'ok' job a while back - they were sharp, sorta - but I recently bought a VeritasMkII guide, some fine grit sandpaper and plate glass pieces, and set out to use the "Scary Sharp" method at least to get my stuff sharp for a change - and wow, I realized just how badly I did it before.

I did the chisels - wow, what a difference! even though they're not quality chisels, they work very well. I had flattened the backs before and they were pretty good, but I spent some time putting a good bevel on them. what a difference!

Then I spent some time flattening the sole of a fairly generic Stanley block plane I bought - it's not totally flat, but MUCH better than it was. I can't believe how bad it was!

Then I spent some time sharpening the blade - had to 'fix' it from before (it was out of square, and I had a chip on one corner from where I'd dropped it - that seems to be my curse, sharpen something only to drop it). The back was OK, I had done an OK job flattening it, but then I put a good edge on it and a microbevel.

For some reason the other night - I was just tidying up some stuff from a small honey-dew project - and I saw a piece of 1x10 pine I had used for another project. it had a pretty good cup to it - and I figured I'd try out the "new plane". I clamped it down and started into it, and nice thin full-width shavings came peeling off the board - not quite effortless, but still much easier than I expected. I spent some time on it and before long it was reasonably flat (enough to run it through the thickness planer with no concerns), and I had a pile of shavings at my feet.

I produced absolutely nothing other than a pile of shavings, but it did make me feel really good. oh, and it made me realize that investing in a decent set of planes might be a good idea.

Justin Green
02-25-2009, 9:16 PM
That's exactly why I'm heading down that road, too. There's something about taking a 80 year old plane and making a board flat that's pretty satisfying.

Jim Koepke
02-25-2009, 10:51 PM
That's exactly why I'm heading down that road, too. There's something about taking a 80 year old plane and making a board flat that's pretty satisfying.

Why that is just a young wipper snapper, one of the planes I was pushing today is about 125 years old. Stanley #6 type 4.

It is fun to make shavings with old planes that some think are just old remnants from the past.

Just thinking about it, the most common type in my group of bench planes is type 9 and those have all past the century mark.

jim

Justin Green
02-25-2009, 11:03 PM
The only plane of mine that I know is pre-1900 is my #1. Still looking for a knob for it...

John Dykes
02-26-2009, 1:38 AM
Then I spent some time sharpening the blade

And there is the key that unlocks the door of hand tools......

Wish many more would try it....

Jim Koepke
02-26-2009, 2:20 AM
The only plane of mine that I know is pre-1900 is my #1. Still looking for a knob for it...

The knobs from a 98 or 99 are the same.

I have some of those that are kind of messed up and have been thinking of selling the parts on eBay.

Just haven't gotten one of those magical round tuits yet.

It shouldn't be too hard to make one on a lathe.

I do see kind of cruddy 98s and 99s for sell occasionally.

Do you have the mounting hardware?

jim

Justin Green
02-26-2009, 8:53 AM
I don't have the mounting hardware, either. I've bid on a couple of 98s and 99s and one original knob, but no success just yet. Lathe.... one day!

JohnT Fitzgerald
02-26-2009, 12:48 PM
And there is the key that unlocks the door of hand tools......

Wish many more would try it....

I should have said - sharpening it *correctly*. What a world of difference.

Richard Dooling
02-26-2009, 1:18 PM
Gee Justin, a curmmy old #1. Who would want that? I'd be happy to get that out of your way. Just to help you declutter your shop.:rolleyes:

Justin Green
02-26-2009, 1:51 PM
Well, it is a little small for my hands.... Another lucky find, and not even by me. Mom or grandma found that one in their antiquing travels and mom gave it to me recently, having no idea what it was worth. It's not mint condition, but it's neat.

David Keller NC
02-26-2009, 2:02 PM
"It's not mint condition, but it's neat."

Doesn't matter - Stanley collectors are, IMO, a bit "odd". They will pay thousands for one of these in not so great shape, regardless of the fact that they are not rare. It's because they're cute - which really gives me pause for thought when I consider that most collectors are old men....

Justin Green
02-26-2009, 2:26 PM
Could be worse. We could be discussing Hummel.

george wilson
02-26-2009, 2:32 PM
I sold 1 that I had for many years for $700.00 a few years ago. It had the original decal on the handle,so must not have been used much at all before it was dropped and broke the body right across the mouth. I must have had it 20 years before I decided to braze it,and re japan the inside of the body. The person who bought it was an EAIA collector,who knew prefectly well that it had been repaired. Perfect ones used to sell for abt. $1200.00 + . Don't know the values now

David Keller NC
02-26-2009, 2:54 PM
"Perfect ones used to sell for abt. $1200.00 + . Don't know the values now"

Hard to say with the recent crash in antique-anything values, but a sweetheart example with an orginal box sold for $4500 on e-bay last year.

Justin Green
02-26-2009, 2:55 PM
Mine has a chip in one corner of the mouth and two small chips on the lever cap. In addition, someone "sharpened" the chip breaker on the top side instead of where it meets the iron. Other than that, no rust, lots of patina, and it's sitting on my office desk. I think this one was before they put the decals on the handles, or the decal has worn off. It's an oldie.

John Schreiber
02-26-2009, 6:01 PM
I produced absolutely nothing other than a pile of shavings, but it did make me feel really good. oh, and it made me realize that investing in a decent set of planes might be a good idea.
When I first got my Lie-Nielsen 60 1/2, I was going around planing end grain just for the joy of it. The feeling of a sharp blade going through wood is sublime.