PDA

View Full Version : Curry Cherry Flower Carrier w/pics

Jason Tuinstra
07-12-2004, 8:22 PM
Had a good day in the shop today - Monday is my day off and the major shop day around here. I decided to build something that I could finish in a day. Here it is. It's copied after a Shaker carrier of a similar design. I figure these make great gifts so I built two, but only glued up and finished one for now. I had a heavily figured board that was just waiting to be used and also used the left over curly stock from the Tall Cabinet.

Anyway, nothing special, just thought I'd post a couple pics to finish off a good day.

Misc. Details: Leather bumpers for feet. Mix of poly, blo, and mineral spirits for finish.

Todd Burch
07-12-2004, 8:30 PM
It's a brave and skillful man that shows a close-up of his dovetails. GREAT JOB!! I like 1-day projects. Wish I could finish everything in a day - including the finish!

I'm going to be bold and suggest that next time, for a project of this scale, you use 1/2" or 3/8" thick material instead of 3/4".

Thanks for posting more of your insprirational work Jason!

Dick Parr
07-12-2004, 8:31 PM
Very nice Jason! I love curly cherry and made a small dinning room table from it.

Jason Tuinstra
07-12-2004, 8:44 PM
I'm going to be bold and suggest that next time, for a project of this scale, you use 1/2" or 3/8" thick material instead of 3/4".

Todd, I've always appreciated your constructive criticism. I actually went with 5/8" stock for the body so that it wouldn't be too thick and still give a fuller looking dovetail. I usually go with 1/2" stock but the dovetail is bland looking when cut on the Leigh. Maybe hand cuts dt’s would give me a better look :D Anyway, that was the trade off. But you’re right, even 5/8" is a bit thick. The Shaker original was 3/8" stock with nailed joints.

Jim Becker
07-12-2004, 11:52 PM
Very nice, Jason. Nice 'tails...and great design.

But is that some kind of Indian cherry? ("Curry Cherry"):eek: :D

Jim Ketron
07-12-2004, 11:54 PM
Great job!
Awesome wood!
Jim

Jerry Olexa
07-13-2004, 12:10 AM
Good looking wood, great dovetails and nice finish. Do you like using BLO, turp and varnish mixture? Looks good! your friends will appreciate your gifts!! Jerry

Alan Tolchinsky
07-13-2004, 12:26 AM
Jason, You really did justice to that wood. Love the construction and your dt's. Your rationale for using 5/8 wood makes sense to me. Keep up the great work. Alan in Md. ( still working on my oak stairs)

Gary Whitt
07-13-2004, 7:56 AM
Looks pretty special to me!!!
I love curly woods, especially cherry.

Jason Tuinstra
07-13-2004, 11:08 AM
Very nice, Jason. Nice 'tails...and great design.

But is that some kind of Indian cherry? ("Curry Cherry"):eek: :D

Jim, that's funny. I guess I was hungry for some Indian cuisine at the time :p

John Gregory
07-13-2004, 12:26 PM
I hope you don't tire of all the compliments. But your work looks awesome. Great dovetails. Thanks for sharing the pics.

John

Martin Shupe
07-14-2004, 2:56 AM
Jason, I miss the board for a few days, and when I come back you have produced another Shaker project that makes me green with envy!

Another outstanding example of your fine workmanship!

John Shuk
07-14-2004, 8:08 AM
Jason,
Nice work I like the rays in the wood on the top front edge as well. Pretty wood and nice work.
John

John Olson
07-14-2004, 8:58 AM
I know I will get a lot of us out of your gift.:D Really I love the work. I know some body will really enjoy getting it.

Mac McAtee
07-14-2004, 9:39 AM
Nice work Jason. What is next?

Jason Tuinstra
07-14-2004, 9:45 AM
Nice work Jason. What is next?

Mac, thanks for your words. Next up is a twin size maple bed for my cousin. I did some drawings, but it's just not looking right yet. We'll see. Thanks.