PDA

View Full Version : #2 Burled Live-Edge Mulberry Vase

Ken Glass
02-25-2009, 8:05 PM
Hey Gang,
Here is the second Vase I turned using the same piece of Burled Mulberry Stump. It is 10" Tall and 5-3/4" in Diameter. It is sanded to 400 and 2 step Beall buffed. This was a rather fragile piece, but I tried to practice making some light cuts and some patience and was able to get it finished. I really like the rustic look and feel of Mulberry, but I am undecided on the shape I chose, but was a little limited by the live edge I was working with. Whats your opinion. Thanks for viewing. Your comments and critiques are always welcome.

Richard Madison
02-25-2009, 8:28 PM
The base/foot seems a bit large, but nonetheless a very cool piece.

Steve Schlumpf
02-25-2009, 8:38 PM
Nice work Ken! Good looking wood! Really like the natural edge! Agree with Richard on the foot/base area but it is only a minor point. Really like the photos! Especially the full profile one. Nice work Ken! Thanks for sharing!

Bill Bolen
02-25-2009, 8:56 PM
That is a lovely piece. The wood movement is going to make it a "special" piece....Bill..

Bernie Weishapl
02-26-2009, 1:04 AM
Great looking NE. Good looking wood and form. I would rather see it footless myself but that is just me.

alex carey
02-26-2009, 1:52 AM
looking good, but same advice as the others.

Steve Mawson
02-26-2009, 4:29 PM
Looks nice, the foot does not bother me. I don't know where you are in W Central IL but I will be coming across 36 going to Jacksonville about Easter if you want to give it to a good home.

Nice job

Ken Glass
02-26-2009, 6:19 PM
Well Gang,
I listened to the general consensus of comments and critiques and eliminated the foot on this vase. Now I need more critiques. I am mixed on whether I like to new improved version or not. It may seem to not be a small enough footprint on the base, but remember it is almost 6" wide and a little unbalanced. How about some feedback. I do not, however, want to hear it looked better before, and I should put the foot back on. LOL

Dennis Ford
02-26-2009, 6:30 PM
I like the second version! This piece will likely be used for display and the footless version has more "artistic appeal" to me.

It is a wonderful vase, if it is too unstable consider inlaying some lead into the bottom too make it stand up.

David Christopher
02-26-2009, 7:29 PM
I think it looks great

Steve Mawson
02-26-2009, 10:03 PM
I agree, ya done good.

Don Carter
02-26-2009, 10:14 PM
Ken:
Sorry, I missed the first post. But, definitely the second version. It looks great!

All the best.

Don

Ben Gastfriend
02-27-2009, 4:40 PM
The second is definitley better. The natural edge looks great, so does the finish.

Allen Neighbors
02-27-2009, 8:20 PM
I think you need to put the foot back on.
(just kidding)
I liked the foot, but I like this one better. Dennis' suggestion about the lead is right on, too. Well done! That 'curl' at the top makes it look like a flower that has wilted just a little.

Ken Glass
02-27-2009, 8:36 PM
Thanks for all the comments and critiques. It seems unanimous that the vase is better without the foot.