PDA

View Full Version : My Introduction

Holly Mosser
07-12-2004, 7:40 PM
:cool: Good day to everyone, I am very impressed with the forum. I have been reading and admiring all the pictures of peoples project. There are no words good enough to describe the wood working abilities of the members. I would like to humblly show my very first scrolling project but don't know how. :o Maybe that is a blessing in disguise. ;) Well everyone have a good day. Bye for now.

Todd Burch
07-12-2004, 7:42 PM
Welcome Holly! Go over to the support forum to practice posting pictures. No big deal.

Todd

Dick Parr
07-12-2004, 7:46 PM
Holly Welcome to the SMC.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-12-2004, 7:54 PM
Welcome to the 'Creek, Holly! Jump in the waters fine! Take info and leave info as you deem necessary! Again, Welcome!

Jason Tuinstra
07-12-2004, 8:31 PM
Welcome Holly! Good to have your around. I look forward to seeing some of your scroll work. We don't get to see much of that around here. Posting pictures is quite easy. Take Todd's advice and if you need any help, all you have to do is ask and someone will give you a hand. This is a good group of guys and gals :D

Michael Ballent
07-12-2004, 9:06 PM
Welcome to SMC :D It's not too bad to upload your pics. Do as Todd suggested and ask any questions in there and we can help you out.

Waymon Campbell
07-12-2004, 9:18 PM
Welcome Holly. I look forward to seeing some of your scroll work. I've been trying to no avail to get my wife interested in scrolling. Maybe your pix will get her "in the shop".

Rob Russell
07-12-2004, 9:47 PM
Welcome to SMC - nice to see another lady diving in!

Wayne Johnson
07-12-2004, 9:51 PM
Welcome! I agree, the pictures are one of my favorite parts too...in addition to the wealth of knowledge freely available here!

Frank Pellow
07-12-2004, 10:20 PM
Welcome to Saw Mill Creek Holly. It is good to see some females participating -we need more! It is also good to hear from a fellow Canadian.

Please do attempt to post pictures of your scroll work -it is really very easy.

Charles McKinley
07-12-2004, 10:24 PM
Hi Holly,

Welcome to the creek. It is a great place to learn and share.

Brad Schmid
07-12-2004, 10:56 PM
Welcome Holly! Glad to have you aboard.
Brad

Don Selke
07-12-2004, 11:00 PM
I am a new member of the Forum, just wanted to jump in and say Hi to all. I have been reading and following the posts here and am very impressed with not only the vast amount of information but with the friendly attitude of all the members. Just like firefighters, you guys are ready to jump in and give a helping hand.
Thanks for allowing me to be part of the group and I hope that I can help as well.:)

Holly Mosser
07-12-2004, 11:04 PM
Thank you everyone for the encouragement, it means alot to someone that is starting a new endevour. Here we go again, lets try the picture thingy.

Frank Pellow
07-12-2004, 11:16 PM
See, I told you it was easy to post pictures. :D

And, your work looks really good!

Jason Tuinstra
07-12-2004, 11:25 PM
Good job Holly! Nice detailed work there. That's exactly why I don't scroll saw :D

Jim Ketron
07-12-2004, 11:48 PM
Welcome To the Creek Holly!:D

Jim

Jim Becker
07-12-2004, 11:54 PM
Another new member! Kewel! Welcome aboard, Holly.

Mark Singer
07-13-2004, 1:01 AM
welcome to the nicley flowing creek

Bob Reda
07-13-2004, 7:40 AM
Welcome Holly, nice work

Gary Whitt
07-13-2004, 7:50 AM
Welcome, Holly...
That's nice work you have there!!!
And you got the posting pictures thing quicker than I did!!!
Watch out for Tyler!!! :D

Bob Hovde
07-13-2004, 9:15 AM
Welcome, Holly! Nice detail in the scroll work - or is that the whole point of it?
I like the picture. ('Been afraid to try scroll work myself. Every saw smaller than my chainsaw ends up looking like I used the chainsaw! :(

Bob

Terry Hatfield
07-13-2004, 9:37 AM
Welcome Holly!!!

Excellent job on the scroll work!!

Terry

David Wilson
07-13-2004, 9:40 AM
Welcome aboard Holly

Beautiful scroll work.

Lou Morrissette
07-13-2004, 9:45 AM
Nice work Holly.:)

Dennis Peacock
07-13-2004, 12:20 PM
Hey Holly...!!!! <b>Welcome to SMC!!!</b>

Very nice scroll work there!!! My 13 year old daughter would just LOVE that in her room!!! She's a very big horse and animal fan!!!!!

Thank you for sharing your very skilled work.!!! Very nice indeed!!! :)

Holly Mosser
07-13-2004, 1:01 PM
Thank you everyone for the compliments, it makes you want to get back out there and saw saw saw:).
I have a confession to make the scroll saw portrait was not my first attempt of wood working this was ;).
It is a Hidden Trash Bin from The Winfield Collection (very easy patterns for beginners to follow):o .
Thanks again for the encourgement.

Dale Thompson
07-13-2004, 1:43 PM
Golly Holly,
That first picture is one nice example of thoughtful and skilled scroll saw work. I'm an animal person - need I say more? :)

If you would make me a trash bin about ten times the size of your second picture, I would only have to empty it every OTHER day instead of every day like I do now. :o

On the down side, we have another new member who is far more talented than I am. AW - HECK! I'm used to it. Just keep posting pictures of your stuff that is much better than mine. Everyone else does! ;)

Dale T.

Michael Ballent
07-13-2004, 6:09 PM
Ye haw another AZ WW on SMC... Welcome to the Creek :D

Tony Falotico
07-13-2004, 8:20 PM
Welcome Holly, Good to have you at the creek, come often and hang around. Nice looking projects.

BUT, ... now that you have pic's down pat, we need DETAILS :confused: ... what kind of scroll saw did you use, species of wood, background materials ??? Inquiring minds need to know !! :D

Carole Valentine
07-14-2004, 10:07 AM
Welcome Holly! Good to have another Lady Woodworker around! My first woodworking experiences were scrolling, but the next thing I knew I ended up with a shop full of tools.:D I still like to do it. I find it relaxing and a great way to use scraps from other projects, but I haven't done anything since my last scroll project which was a paid commission. A lady was building a new house and wanted me to design and make 10 custom porch brackets and they had to be a hummingbird theme. That was a fun project, although the design work took longer than the actual cutting. She provided the wood...Spanish Cedar...which was a delight to cut. Since these folks are always yelling that they like pics, I will see if I can do that.

http://www.esva.net/~pchousecalls/tenbrackets_opt.jpg

http://www.esva.net/~pchousecalls/porchbracket_opt.jpg

Holly Mosser
07-14-2004, 10:48 AM
Thanks everyone for the kind comments. My scroll saw is a Delta 16" Variable Speed. The portrait pattern is from the Creative Woodworks & Crafts Magazine, June addition. I used 3/8" Baltic Birch, and only cut 1. I did'nt know I could stack cut using 4 to 6 layers of 1/4". It also would have been easier making the wood more stable, not so much vibration. Live and learn. Now all my horse friends want one;) . The back ground is black felt, but any color you like can be used. Because of the lack of tools I was going to try and make my own frame but opted to a Walmart special. Carole those brackets are really nice. How did you join the scroll work to the base.

So many projects and so little time.

Carole Valentine
07-14-2004, 2:21 PM
Holly, the brackets are stopped dados. Since they are mitered and the brackets will be screwed to the porch, effectively "trapping" the scrollwork, I only used Titebond III in the dados. I have a saw like yours...16" Delta VS. I am no good at portraits though! :(

Bruce Page
07-14-2004, 6:02 PM
Beautiful work ladies & welcome to the Creek!

Come back often