PDA

View Full Version : Looking for staircase design software

Chris Krysinski
02-25-2009, 6:12 PM
Somewhat relates to CNC so I'll try here:

Does anyone use software for stair design and milling via cnc?

I've checked out Compass stair design software, it looked very nice and does a material list and quoting as well.

If anyone's used any software for stairs or know someone who does, I'd really like to get in contact with the person/company.

Thanks,
Chris

Guy Mathews
02-25-2009, 6:52 PM
Chris,

I have never used any stair design software but I have cut 14 foot long stringers (approximately 14 foot) on an 8 foot ShopBot. The stringers were the type where the riser and tread are interlocked and inserted starting from the bottom step up. Wedges hold them tight and keep them from squeaking. Not sure of the correct terminology for this type stair stringer. Saw them made on The Router Workshop and said to myself, "Hell, I can do that!" I am not a pro at it, but I have made four sets so far with great results for 3 different homes.

http://www.wincnc.net/ has a stringer program that you can download a demo of. Not sure if it is good, bad or indifferent, but a free download is a free chance to learn something new. Just got my copy and will play around with it in the evenings.

If you need help laying out stringers for a CNC machine, you can PM me.

Good luck.