PDA

View Full Version : posca paint markers to colorize granite??

Jackie McGowan
02-25-2009, 6:00 PM
Hi All,

I've never used these or even heard of them before, but my son just ordered some to use along with his airbrushing. After reading about them and seeing the pictures that can be made with them (they look like they blend and mix well) I thought they may work for colorizing granite and marble photos. I'm going to try them when they get here but.... I was just wondering if anyone else has tried them?? and if yes do they work?

Below copy is a description of them from one of the sites selling them:

Uni Posca Paint Markers

Contains Non Toxic Water Base Paint. Mark on metal, wood, glass, plastic, plaster, canvas and more. Excellent for signs exposed to the weather. Great for temporarily marking up glass windows.

Popular with surfboard painters.

Used extensively by Auto Dealers to mark windows with advertisements. Also used by auto body shop estimators to map out repairs on vehicles.

Markers are removable from non porous, sealed surfaces like glass, car bodies, chalkboards.

Opaque, water based acrylic paint is non toxic and acid free. Odorless, lightfast, Xylene free, lead free and waterproof when dry. Will bond permanently to wood, clay pots, poster board, plaster and other porous materials.

Attached is an illustration by a surf board designer Drew Brophy who uses them (so you can see the colors and blending properties)

Once I try them I will let you all know. They don't sell them at Michaels :( so I need to wait till they are delivered.

Dee Gallo
02-25-2009, 6:21 PM
Hi Jackie,

I've got some, I've done pedestrian work with them (hand lettered signs, labeling glass, wood, plastic and metal, etc.). They are what they seem, markers. They are easy to use, similar to any other paint markers but they are opaque and the colors are excellent (clean and bright). I did not find them to be permanent when subjected to repeated (daily) cleaning with plain water, but they are waterproof if you don't rub.

Read the description carefully, it says they work best on porous materials...which granite is not. Maybe it will act porous when lasered since there will be some tooth, and it will clean off the smooth sections easily.

If you plan to use them for blending, you should have 2 of every color or plan to clean the tips a lot. Blending works best when you start with the darker color and immediately apply the lighter color over it while it's still movable.

I've also emptied some of the paint onto a palette and used a brush with it, which kind of defeats the whole marker thing. But I've only used bullet tips and they were not fine enough for me all the time.

Let us know how it works for you!

cheers, dee

Jackie McGowan
02-25-2009, 7:40 PM
Thanks Dee for the input. I was thinking that they would stain the lasered areas but wipe off the non lasered areas. They do look nice and vibrant though. I'll let you know once I test them. I've finally purchased the stone sealer too so I guess I'll need to try that on top of it as well.:)

Belinda Barfield
02-26-2009, 9:29 AM
Ladies,

Actually, granite is pretty porous. One of the reasons we in the industry don't recommend placing uncooked meat on stone countertops, or on a stone cutting board. Contamination is a big issue because of porosity. We use paint markers and wax markers in the shop and I have had occasions when the paint marker was almost impossible to remove completely. So, you might want to try to "color inside the lines". ;)

We use Super Met-Al Markers, but the color range is limited. If you need to do start white lettering, they work great. Opaque, quick dry, and water resistant (not water proof). I don't think they would work very well for the lovely detailed work you ladies are doing, just thought I throw the info out there in case anyone ever needs to mark on some rocks. :)

Dee Gallo
02-26-2009, 9:32 AM
Ladies,

Actually, granite is pretty porous. One of the reasons we in the industry don't recommend placing uncooked meat on stone countertops, or on a stone cutting board. Contamination is a big issue because of porosity. We use paint markers and wax markers in the shop and I have had occasions when the paint marker was almost impossible to remove completely. So, you might want to try to "color inside the lines". ;)

We use Super Met-Al Markers, but the color range is limited. If you need to do start white lettering, they work great. Opaque, quick dry, and water resistant (not water proof). I don't think they would work very well for the lovely detailed work you ladies are doing, just thought I throw the info out there in case anyone ever needs to mark on some rocks. :)

INTERESTING! Since I always see polished granite with that super smooth surface, I never thought it would be porous... see how much we learn every day at the Creek?

thanks, dee