PDA

View Full Version : Wet Wood & Gum on Bandsaw?

Steve H Graham
02-25-2009, 5:23 PM
Okay, I stole mahogany logs from my neighbor's garbage. I've been cutting them into usable slabs. Because it's tiring work and I am fabulously lazy, I let a log sit around and start to dry before I finished cutting it up.

Two things. First, is it normal to get gummy stuff on your saw blade when you cut fresh lumber, and is there a good way to get rid of it? I'm planning to try mineral spirits.

Second, is it normal for wood to get way harder after a couple of days of drying? When I cut the first big log in half, the saw went through it like butter. The wood was really wet. Now the saw seems to have a hard time with it. Even though there is no way the wood could be called dry, it seems much harder now.

I finally experienced blade drift. I started taking the saw apart to tune it up, and then I realized I had somehow gotten the blade on the wrong side of a guide bearing in the lower part of the cabinet. So while the front of the blade was sawing wood, the back was sawing through the shaft that holds the bearing. I got the saw back in shape, but it still likes to drift on really hard pieces that are also tall.

I still have a big fat log in my yard, but I plan to roll it to my own trash heap. This is exhausting, and I figure there will be other trash in the future.

Dennis Ford
02-25-2009, 8:12 PM
Wood does get harder when its dry but it sounds to me like your blade was getting dull even before it tried to cut some metal.