PDA

View Full Version : Would this be an upgrade or a lateral move?

Mike Hess
02-25-2009, 2:10 PM
For my jointing and planing tasks I'm currently using a 4" Shopsmith jointer on a SS power station and a Grizzley 12" lunchbox. Now, before you scoff at me - let me tell you that I'm a weekend woodworker at best, and that space is a real concern. However, even for my modest needs, this is a sub-optimal setup. The 4" jointer width is woefully inadequate, and the planer snipes 2-3" on anything I feed it, even with infeed/outfeed roller stands and light passes. I'm considering selling off this gear and picking up a Jet 707410. This would probably be a break-even proposition cost-wise (or I might even end up a few bucks in the black), I'd lose 2" of planing capacity but pick up 6" of jointing capacity.

http://www.toolking.com/jet_707410_10_inch_jointer_planer_combo_with_stand .aspx

Would this be an upgrade, or a lateral move?

Paul Johnstone
02-25-2009, 4:11 PM
For my jointing and planing tasks I'm currently using a 4" Shopsmith jointer on a SS power station and a Grizzley 12" lunchbox. Now, before you scoff at me - let me tell you that I'm a weekend woodworker at best, and that space is a real concern. However, even for my modest needs, this is a sub-optimal setup. The 4" jointer width is woefully inadequate, and the planer snipes 2-3" on anything I feed it, even with infeed/outfeed roller stands and light passes. I'm considering selling off this gear and picking up a Jet 707410. This would probably be a break-even proposition cost-wise (or I might even end up a few bucks in the black), I'd lose 2" of planing capacity but pick up 6" of jointing capacity.

http://www.toolking.com/jet_707410_10_inch_jointer_planer_combo_with_stand .aspx

Would this be an upgrade, or a lateral move?

If it were me, I'd try to get a regular 6" jointer (it won't take up that much more space than the combo machine if on a mobile base) and stay with the lunchbox planer, but I think this is a step in the right direction.
A regular 6" jointer is going to be of better quality, IMO.

Fred Hargis
02-25-2009, 4:22 PM
If it were me, I'd try to get a regular 6" jointer (it won't take up that much more space than the combo machine if on a mobile base) and stay with the lunchbox planer, but I think this is a step in the right direction.
A regular 6" jointer is going to be of better quality, IMO.
That would be my take on it as well. The Jet is a fairly recent introduction (I think), and to me it's always best to wait a year or so and see what the general opinion is.

Tony Bilello
02-25-2009, 4:24 PM
Get a joiner and keep the "lunchbox".

glenn bradley
02-25-2009, 6:42 PM
+1 on get a jointer and keep the planer. You snipe problem is directly related to material control. Snipe occurs when the material deviates from the feed path and rises into the cutter. This is generally fixable.

John Shuk
02-25-2009, 8:08 PM
Grizzly lunchbox planers have been given fairly poor marks as far as snipe in most of the mag reviews I've seen.
I don't know much about that machine but it looks like it has potential to me.
I think it could be a nice move. In my opinion I'd rather have jointer width and sacrifice a bit on the planer.

Delta was able to nearly eliminate snipe on their lunchbox planers with a cutterhead lock. So I would say that it is strictly a handling issue.

Dave Lehnert
02-25-2009, 9:31 PM
I have a Shopsmith 4" jointer and still use it from time to time (I own a 6" JET) I love the Shopsmith feather board/blade guard. I wish all jointers would come with them.

I own a Shopsmith Planer and it's the best. Must be 20 years old now and only have replaced the belt once (And of course the blades) Snipe is almost nonexistent. Cast iron table. But it is expensive.

I saw the new JET at my woodworking dealer. Looked like just the thing for a small shop.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/faq/images/FSProPlaner.jpghttp://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/faq/images/Jointer.jpg

Mike Hess
02-26-2009, 7:45 AM
Grizzly lunchbox planers have been given fairly poor marks as far as snipe in most of the mag reviews I've seen.
I think it could be a nice move. In my opinion I'd rather have jointer width and sacrifice a bit on the planer.

Delta was able to nearly eliminate snipe on their lunchbox planers with a cutterhead lock. So I would say that it is strictly a handling issue.

The Grizzley doesn't have a cutterhead lock. I've read a few reviews suggesting that this is largely responsible for the snipe problem

I have a Shopsmith 4" jointer and still use it from time to time (I own a 6" JET) I love the Shopsmith feather board/blade guard. I wish all jointers would come with them.

I own a Shopsmith Planer and it's the best. Must be 20 years old now and only have replaced the belt once (And of course the blades) Snipe is almost nonexistent. Cast iron table. But it is expensive.

I saw the new JET at my woodworking dealer. Looked like just the thing for a small shop.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/faq/images/FSProPlaner.jpghttp://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/faq/images/Jointer.jpg

I'd love to get a Shopsmith Planer. I've missed a few good CL deals on them, but am always on the lookout.

I appreciate everybody's suggestions about getting a separate 6" stand alone jointer, but shop space is pretty tight. Being able to take care of my jointing and planing needs on a single stand has a lot of appeal for me - hence my interest in the Jet unit. Maybe I'll see if I can't check one out somewhere in person, and then go from there.

Wilbur Pan
02-26-2009, 11:29 AM
I'll vote for getting the Jet machine.

I have a Rikon 10" combo jointer/planer, which looks to be nearly identical. Unless you are routinely jointing boards that are over 6 feet long, the jointer beds are going to be long enough. You can also build auxiliary infeed and outfeed support should you need to joint a very long board. Having the capacity to joint a 10" wide board is going to be great, I promise you. And with my small basement workshop, I appreciate the space savings.

John Shuk
02-26-2009, 8:18 PM

Meant to say that it is NOT strictly a handling issue:o