PDA

View Full Version : Update:Cash Gift for a Colleague

David Walser
02-25-2009, 12:13 PM
On the 21st I posted pictures of a pen I had made for a colleague using the shredded cash blanks from Woodturningz.com. I commented that the finished blanks, while they looked very nice and had a nice gloss, had a "bumpy" feel. (If I'd chosen my words with greater care, I would have said the blanks had a "rippled surface".) At the time, I speculated that this was the result of the differing densities of the acrylic plastic and the shredded paper in the blank. Several of you offered suggestions on how to get a smoother surface and I promised to report back. Here's a link to that thread:http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=105177

Here's the promised report:

First, the ripples are NOT the fault of the blank. Instead, they are (gulp!) my fault. Last night I turned another pen and paid close attention to this issue. After I filled any tear-out of the paper with thin CA glue and had sanded with 240 grit paper, the blanks were smooth to the touch. So, too, after sanding with 320, 400, and the early grits of Micro Mesh. The blank was still smooth after buffing with Tripoli. The ripples appeared, as if by magic, after buffing with white diamond.

Lesson: A few days before, I had dropped my white diamond wheel while taking it off the lathe. Despite the pristine cleanliness of my shop (Right!), the wheel was covered with chips and other gunk. I thought I had cleaned all the gunk off. Evidently, I was wrong. Some of that gunk cut small little ripples in the blank.

Now, does anyone know where I can buy a wheel rake?

Steve Schlumpf
02-25-2009, 12:20 PM
David - glad you found the problem! To clean my buffing wheels I just use a sanding block - works for me.

Don Carter
02-25-2009, 12:29 PM
David:
Harbor Freight Tools has them. Not very expensive, I can't remember exactly how much. I use the rake and sometimes sandpaper too.

All the best.

Don

Brian Brown
02-25-2009, 12:33 PM
David,

Glad you found the problem. That is a really good looking pen.

Your post is a good example of where the real learning and true value of this forum is. These are the kind of situations we all run into from time to time, and the answer is rarely if ever found in books, or DVD's. Thanks for posting.

David Walser
02-26-2009, 12:16 AM
I appreciate the kind words and helpful suggestions. I hope I didn't mislead anyone with my original post. The shredded cash blanks are a lot of fun and, if you're into that kind of thing, make a great pen.