PDA

View Full Version : Ghosting on Red Alder Plaques

John Frazee
02-25-2009, 11:16 AM
I did a search on this topic and have not found the answer I'm looking for. When I laser red alder plaques, I spray with Windex or quickly rinse with water to clean them up. I have noticed the ones I have on display has like a ghosting around all the engraving. There seems to be a lighter shade just beyond the perimeters of the engraving. Has anyone else had this happen? I have a large order to do and don't have time to experiment. Thanks for any help.

Martin Boekers
02-25-2009, 11:40 AM
I believe this is residue from burn.

What I use is endust (Pledge seems it be a bit more waxy)

I spray it on and with a couple wipes with a Scotch Magic Sponge it takes care of it!

Marty

Deane Shepard
02-25-2009, 11:45 AM
I have observed that lighter colored ghosting and in my case, it seemed to be directly related to the quantity of liquid applied in cleanup. Wiping with a moist cloth did not produce it but actually spraying or wiping it with a lot of liquid caused it to appear within a few hours. My conclusion was that it was cause by the liquid soaking into the grain of the wood beneath the finish.

I applied a light coat of Danish Oil and it disappeared.

Deane

Martin Boekers
02-25-2009, 11:57 AM
Deane,

Your right with a light coat of oil when finished, wood always shine better with a bit of polish!

Marty

Bill Parker
02-25-2009, 8:27 PM
My conclusion was that it was cause by the liquid soaking into the grain of the wood beneath the finish.

I agree with Deane, over doing the liquid is when I see those type of results.

Anthony Welch
02-25-2009, 8:53 PM
Glad you guys posted this. I had this happen to a Pic frame and have been afraid of displaying these for selling.

Thanks
Anthony