PDA

View Full Version : McNaughton Jumbo set

tom martin
02-25-2009, 10:36 AM
Hi,
I've gotten the itch to core some larger bowls. I have the standard McNaughton set and was wondering if the gate will work on the largest two curved chisels from the jumbo set. If they do, I could save $160 by buying the two blades as opposed to the entire jumbo set. I think I could make an extension for my handle fairly easily and I have already made a longer post for the standard gate to fit my 20" lathe.
Thanks for any help
Tom

Benjamin Dahl
02-25-2009, 12:01 PM
if he does not respond, send a PM to reed gray, he has produced a dvd on the mcnaughton system and is a great resource.
Ben

Reed Gray
02-25-2009, 1:15 PM
Tom,
The tool rest is designed for all 3 blade systems, the large, the standard, and the mini. The micro blades (new from Kel) are designed for mini lathes (12 inches and less), won't work on the standard tool rest. They will handle the mini set of blades though. A handle extension is great, and theoretically not needed, but I like the extra length, while Mike Mahoney cuts his handles in half for the standard set of blades. The standard set will core up to about 14 inch max. Coring is pretty much the same thing when using the large set of blades, but there is more force applied to the cutter, tool rest and handle. Since you have some experience with the standard set, you should be fine, but I don't recomend starting out with them. Also, the larger you core, the more drifting the blade wants to do.

As far as which blades you want, I would recomend the 2 curved blades. I never use the straight parting blade, but have it just in case.

robo hippy

tom martin
02-25-2009, 6:19 PM
Thanks Reed,
I will follow your advise. I already have the straight blade from the standard set. It looks like Craft supplies is out of stock on the largest curved blade . Does anyone else carry them????
Tom

Reed Gray
02-26-2009, 2:45 PM
Tom,
You could try Woodcraft, Lee Valley, and Woodworkers Emporium in Las Vegas. They all carry the McNaughton stuff. Don't know why Packard doesn't carry any though. I am not sure, but think that Craft Supplies is the only one that carrys individual pieces, and the others carry more 'sets'.
robo hippy

Wyatt Holm
02-26-2009, 5:56 PM
Craft Supplies, Lee Valley, and Woodcraft are the only places I know of that sell them. You could have it back ordered and have it arrive in time for Christmas. And thanks Reed I had never heard of cutting handles in half. I have seen Mahoney make nested bowl sets, and he didn't even use the handles. I am also wanting to buy a McN set, I am thinking about buying one that is the standard and the large, but it might be cheaper to buy just the standard, and the large curved blades only. What do you think?

Reed Gray
02-26-2009, 6:17 PM
The meduim set includes 4 blades. A small curve, meduim curve, flat curve, and straight parting blade. The large set has a medium curve, flat curve, and straight. The only time you need the straight blade is for a deep parting cut, like turning a cylinder, then parting off plate blanks. It does an exceptionally good job of deep straight parting cuts, but is my least used blade. The flat curved blades are for 2 things, one is cutting out a shallow core from a shallow blank that is some where between platter and shallow bowl. The other use for it is for coring deeper vase/vessel forms. The medium and small curves will take care of most bowls. So, for just bowls, the small and medium curves in the standard set, and meduim curve in the large set. These are the ones you will use the most.
robo hippy