PDA

View Full Version : Used Book

George Sanders
02-25-2009, 9:33 AM
I was in a flea market Saturday and found a book for $5. It is a very comprehensive and thorough volume on the identification of trees in the midwest. Titled: Trees of the Central Hardwood Forests of North America. It retailed new for $50 and the $5 price fits with my usual bottom feeder pricing.:rolleyes: It was a timely find as my boss is removing about 1/8 of a mile of trees along a field. I plan to identify any useful hardwoods and see if the local sawyer is interested in a deal. There is one good locust, a large poplar, and I have yet to identify the rest
Just out of curiosity I looked up this volume on out of print booksellers and was astounded at what they had this volume listed for. $200 to $250.:eek: Are they loopy for asking this or am I for not selling the book.

keith ouellette
02-25-2009, 9:38 AM
Sounds like you got a great deal. I don't know how you feel about the book but that seems to be a couple of 1000% profit if you can get $200.

Ken Higginbotham
02-25-2009, 9:44 AM
If you were not looking for the book and bought it cause it looked interesting I say sell it. If you think it could increase in value over time then thats a different topic...

George Sanders
02-25-2009, 10:22 AM
I actually need this book to identify the trees when there are no leaves. It shows samples of bark in both old and young trees as well as twigs with bud placement and bud shape. It really is very useful and I have no intention of selling it.

Glenn Clabo
02-25-2009, 10:24 AM
Sometimes people list out of print books high just to see if there is a market. Kind of like other collectables.
To look at from another perspective. If the "listed" price was what people actually wanted to pay for it...it wouldn't be listed anymore.
You have a great out of print book that you got for a even greater price.

Brian Kent
02-25-2009, 10:25 AM
I would try to sell it now. If it is re-published, the value is reduced a lot.

Ken Higginbotham
02-25-2009, 10:27 AM
I actually need this book to identify the trees when there are no leaves. It shows samples of bark in both old and young trees as well as twigs with bud placement and bud shape. It really is very useful and I have no intention of selling it.

Is there and ISBN on it? Sounds like a neat book and it'd be cool to google it and see what you have...