PDA

View Full Version : Modern Sofa Table

Steven McLeavin
02-25-2009, 9:20 AM
I saw a design similar to this in the Fine WoodWorking gallery. The legs are solid white oak and the apron is ash...top is walnut. The square pegs are ebony. I'm going to add slats on the bottom rail to make a shelf and to help stabilize it. I'm thinking of joining the slats to the bottom rails with some kind of decorative screw. Does anyone know where to get brass pan head slotted screws with a large head (1/2"- 3/4") and a relatively narrow thread shaft?

http://woodninja.com/download/file.php?id=36

http://woodninja.com/download/file.php?id=37

about to add slats..
http://woodninja.com/download/file.php?id=38

Prashun Patel
02-25-2009, 9:51 AM
Beautiful. Love the use of sapwood in the top. I'm a fan. Can't wait to see it finished.

If you want decorative screws, check McFeely's or VanDykes.

That being said, are you sure you don't want to fasten from underneath? You could screw through the bottom of the lower rails into the slats.
You could also dado the rails and just glue the slats in.
Any way, I'm sure it'll look beautiful!!!

GERALD HARGROVE
02-25-2009, 10:52 AM
Very nice table. The contrasting woods will look great once you have it finished. Not sure where to get the decorative screws, but will keep watch on the thread to find out for myself. Please post finished pics.

scott spencer
02-25-2009, 11:33 AM
That's a nice looking design Steven. I'm not typically much of a fan of ultra mod furniture, but that one's got some classic lines. Very nice!

John Thompson
02-25-2009, 12:00 PM
Very nice.. I will share Scott's sentiments on modern but this one looks good.

Sarge..

Ted Calver
02-25-2009, 12:14 PM
Very nice!! I really like this style and your combination of woods.

Jason Tuinstra
02-25-2009, 12:26 PM
Very creative. I look forward to seeing it with some finish on it.

Jim Becker
02-25-2009, 8:44 PM
I really like this design. Very interesting modern + oriental feel to it with a hint of mission, too!

John Michaels
02-26-2009, 1:27 AM
Love the design, well done!!

Steven McLeavin
02-27-2009, 5:18 PM
thanks for the compliments! I'll post pics of it finished, hopefully that'll be tomorrow night.

Dave Tinley
03-12-2009, 10:47 AM
Steven-
Love the design of the top and the apron. Very well executed.
Not to be critical, but I think the legs lack a flare to them. When I look at the legs, I cant help but think of a work bench, they seem too blocky for this piece. Now that is just my opinion, and yours is what really matters.

Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Danny Thompson
03-12-2009, 1:31 PM
Nice work, Steven! It turned out well.

gary south
03-12-2009, 1:39 PM
Nicely done! Most deffinetly an asian design thus the curves with the straight legs.

Great Job.

Gary

Mark Valsi
03-14-2009, 10:23 AM
i agree with Dave:

Not to be critical, but I think the legs lack a flare to them. When I look at the legs, I cant help but think of a work bench, they seem too blocky for this piece. Now that is just my opinion, and yours is what really matters.

I love this table, but the legs seem to be a bit "off" for some reason.

but the rest of the design is great, I love those floating tops !