PDA

View Full Version : bike rack

mike johnston
02-25-2009, 9:07 AM
Has anyone ever made a bike rack, or seen pics of one. I made one awhile back, but it was just out of pine and not very pretty.I'd like to make this one out of hardwood with turned spindels, and a little more design flair. It needs to hold at least 6 bikes. So I think it needs to be a floor stand. Any ideas or pics would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Mike
PS: If there are any bike riders out here, my felt z25 should be here friday.

Andrew Gibson
02-25-2009, 10:00 AM
I have not built a bike rack as of yet... 6 bikes is a lot to hold for 1 rack, unless you have a good amount of floor space.

Nice choice on the bike, I ride an 06 F80... Felt makes great bikes.

Zahid Naqvi
02-25-2009, 10:34 AM
Mike, I don't think you will be able to stack 6 bikes vertically on a rack, unless you live in a warehouse. Three is about the max a typical garage will handle. You may want to consider two racks for three bikes each. My bike rests on a ceiling mounted rack, the one with two pulleys and a long rope to pull the bike up. Most economical use of space in my opinion. I have also seen other bikers, with multiple bikes, to take off the wheels and mount the frames and wheels separately on a series of ceiling mounted hooks and rods.

Congrats on the Felt, I have a Lemond (Reynolds 853 steel frame)

glenn bradley
02-25-2009, 11:04 AM
Maybe a two sided version of this? http://www.sportssolutions.net/inc/sdetail/382

mike johnston
02-25-2009, 11:46 AM
The rack I built earlier is posted in this forum, under the title (not fine woodworking) I wish I knew how to bring it to this thread, but my computer skills are somewhat limited. ( I can't read or write but I can trace.) Anyway that is the type of rack I would like to make but nicer.

thanks Mike

Lee Schierer
02-25-2009, 11:52 AM
I've made a self supporting bike rack like the one shown below. It holds two bikes, you might be able to redesign it to hold four our more. I'm pretty sure I still have the drawing some where.
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~us71na/bikerack.jpg

Steve Griffin
02-25-2009, 10:42 PM
Hi Mike,
I've built a rack which is a floor stand for our 6 bikes and it works very well.

It's made entirely with hand tools out of Brazilion tulipwood and has Bubinga veneers, penambuco inlays and carvings representing the greek god of pedaling. :D

Actually, it took me an hour to design and an hour to build and it's a little embarrassing to post on a woodworking site.

But, I will say it works perfectly. We put in 3- 4 bikes on each side. Especially if you ride from home, nothing is easier than just sliding the bike out and riding away.

Perhaps you would find the basic dimensions handy your much nicer project: it's 43" wide, 3.5" openings 12" apart for the rear tires. 28.5" total height.

have fun, Steve

Jake Goodson
02-25-2009, 11:28 PM
Not a very pretty solution, but a very pratical way to store 6 bikes:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=1240616#1240616

Congrats on the new Felt, keep the rubber side down,

Jake