PDA

View Full Version : Next boat

Glen Dion
02-25-2009, 5:10 AM
Well, I've got my next build down to two choices.
Pretty much decided on either the whitehaul or a wherry.
I don't sail (but should learn) but I enjoy rowing.
Would like some stability to fish from.
Enough capacity to carry both wife and I. I weigh in at 240lbs and the wife 128 (though I havn't seen the scale).
And of course we all like those sleek lines.
Havn't decided on ltrying my hand at lapstraking or if I'll strip it.
I'll likely strip build it. Because if I lapstrake it'd have to be the ply\glue up method and the transom just looks to unfinished to me with this technique.
Decisions, Decision

Glen

John Messinger
02-25-2009, 12:29 PM
I am just finishing up this 20' rowing shell. Pictures Webshots (http://entertainment.webshots.com/album/563921818dHWPvW)

Glen Dion
02-26-2009, 5:13 AM
Wow John!

Looks sweet and fast!
Would think balance is critical. How do plan on going about that?
I could just see me and all my grace in that - I'm thinking it can't be righted like a kayak - LOL
I prefer to row or pull on something no qite so tempermental. Then again perhaps it's length gives it some stability?
Did you glass the outside or just the platinmum epoxy? You've got my "squirrel cage" spinning.

Nice, thanks for sharing
Glen

Jim Creech
02-26-2009, 12:29 PM
I would say definitely go the Whitehall! Sounds like you will be doing more rowing than fishing and the Whitehall is an easier boat to row than a Wherry and in my humble opinion is much prettier.

John Messinger
02-27-2009, 8:38 PM
Wow John!

Looks sweet and fast!
Would think balance is critical. How do plan on going about that?
I could just see me and all my grace in that - I'm thinking it can't be righted like a kayak - LOL
I prefer to row or pull on something no qite so tempermental. Then again perhaps it's length gives it some stability?
Did you glass the outside or just the platinmum epoxy? You've got my "squirrel cage" spinning.

Nice, thanks for sharing
Glen

Thank you. Well for-aft balance is something I did think about. The drop in rowing rig can be moved fore to aft about 18" which should give me enough adjustability. Large water tight bulk heads fore and aft should give it enough buoancy for the cockpit to be bailed with a sectioned gallon laundry bleach container. Typical racing shells are only about 12" wide and this puppy is 30" so I think with a little practice in shallow water I'll be able to keep it upright.

No I did not glass the outside, which may be a major mistake. I may end up taking off the paint and glassing it next winter. We will see how it goes.

Paul Downes
02-27-2009, 8:56 PM
Glen, I couldn't resist. :D Did you hear about the farmer who worked hard his whole life and decided to get a brand new pickup. His wife complained that she was tired of driving old trucks and said she wanted something that would go from zero to 2 hundred real fast.......He bought the truck and got his wife a bathroom scale.:D

Dave Ray
02-27-2009, 11:38 PM
Glenn, she is pretty. really nice job. You will have many hours, days, weeks, months, years enjoying her. She looks fast just sitting there.

Dave Ray
02-27-2009, 11:52 PM
Correcting above to read John, in place of Glenn. But Glenn I vote for the Whitehall. I've seen few boats that look as nice as one of these.

Glen Dion
03-01-2009, 10:39 AM
Glen, I couldn't resist. :D Did you hear about the farmer who worked hard his whole life and decided to get a brand new pickup. His wife complained that she was tired of driving old trucks and said she wanted something that would go from zero to 2 hundred real fast.......He bought the truck and got his wife a bathroom scale.:D

Appreciate the humorous point. Thing is; at 6'2" and admittedly pushing out a 36" waste I'm not carrying round a whole lot of lard. Not a weight lifter or nothing, just play hard and perhaps a litlle predispositioned genetics. Though, I must say, stock is getting heavier these days, LOL. Sure I can work "smarter" but working a little harder keeps me younger.
Did enjoy the ribbing though.
Glen