PDA

View Full Version : Record Weekend

Chris Hanson
02-25-2009, 1:25 AM
I just wanted to share a project I helped a friend with this weekend. Our local public radio station is having a fundraising auction. They asked artists from the community to take an old LP record and turn it into a clock . The clocks are going to be auctioned off at an Alice in Wonderland themed evening event.

My clock wasn't nearly as interesting as Bill's so I thought I'd share his project.

Bill is a local chiropractor and a Tlingit artist. The Tlingits are one of the three main groups of Native peoples that live in SE Alaska. His design is a Tlingit style "Mad Hatters".

The design was hand drawn, scanned and then traced it into vectors. We then had to tweak it to get the results we wanted on the laser.

Initially we cut it out of acrylic but decided to go with natural materials instead.

We made two clocks both using unusually large promotional records from the 1950s that the radio station provided.

The first we used spruce plywood for the figures' bodies, mahoghany (?) for the hats, black walnut for the hair, and cherry for the center circle.

The other we used white leather for the figures' bodies and, since it is on an Army Reserve record, we added a copy of the patch the Army issues to those serving in Alaska that features a polar bear and the North Star.

It took us some time to clean up the drawing and decide on materials but we were both satisfied with the results. Now we hope they bring a good price at the auction.

Belinda Barfield
02-25-2009, 9:19 AM
Cool project and nice work! Thanks for sharing, both the pics and the info!:)

Scott Challoner
02-25-2009, 10:08 AM
Very cool. It's nice to see a use for the old LPs. Now if you can find a use for 8 tracks...