PDA

View Full Version : Pens!! New lathe!! Happy dancing!!!

Steff Pace
02-25-2009, 12:53 AM
My sweet LOML gave me a Jet 1014i for Christmas, and I have taken my own sweet time getting up and running- had to make a stand for the lathe, get the basement shop painted, some cracks fixed, make a step cause the stand was too tall for me (I'm 5'1"), get some tools, get the tools sharpened, take a class, and now, finally, MY FIRST PENS!!! What fun! I am addicted, and now everyone wants me to make them a pen. hahaha. LOML of course got the first one, Dad got the second, and I kept the third. Here are some pics: from left to right, birdseye maple, walnut, plain maple, olive wood, bocote, and chinaberry. My first pens were the plain maple, my dad's, and the bocote, my husband's I made in the class. They look better in person. The olive wood is the first thing I turned on my own new lathe, my husband has a friend who lives in Italy and brought me some wood a couple years ago, along with some olive oil from a friend who owns an olive grove there. The second picture is an oak dibble I made, the dark one is an old German one my sister had, I actually planted my daffodils with it. Now I can give hers back. Turning is so fun!

Dewey Torres
02-25-2009, 1:01 AM
"Turning is so fun"

I agree Steff! I have not done Pens yet but turning is an easily acquired passion. Especially while you are still young enough to have a steady hand.

Love em!

Don Carter
02-25-2009, 1:26 AM
Steff:
They look great! Congratulations, I think. This turning thing is addictive but it sure is fun. Keep 'em coming!

All the best.

Don

Ken Fitzgerald
02-25-2009, 1:32 AM
Very nice first pens and dibble Steff! Keep at it!

Leigh Costello
02-25-2009, 1:48 AM
Very nice, Steff. I have made and sold hundreds and judging by my pen blank stash, I am going to very busy for a very long time. Happy Turning!

Billy Tallant
02-25-2009, 2:26 AM
Pens look great Steff! They are addicting for sure...

alex carey
02-25-2009, 4:46 AM
congratulations on the lathe and those are some nice looking pens.

Jeff Nicol
02-25-2009, 6:20 AM
Steff, Way to go on the pens! They all look very well done! The planting dibble is a great thing, I have been going to make some for my wife, as she just loves to plant flowers!

Jeff

Paul Douglass
02-25-2009, 10:30 AM
Nice looking pens and congrats on the new lathe. I made several dibbles that I use in my garden planting.

Steve Schlumpf
02-25-2009, 10:43 AM
Very nice work on everything Steff! Beautiful pens! Made a couple of dibbles when I first started turning - still use them!

Have fun turning! Looking forward to seeing more of your work real soon!

Bill Bulloch
02-25-2009, 11:23 AM
Nice looking pens Steff. Keep that good work up and you'll soon be calling that basement shop "THE STUDIO".

Bernie Weishapl
02-25-2009, 11:25 AM
Great looking pens and dibbles Steff. Have fun and enjoy.

Jim Kountz
02-25-2009, 11:58 AM
Nice looking pens Steff, isnt it great to be able to go in the shop and in a little time come out with a completed project? Thats what I liked about pen turning.

Kirk Miller
02-25-2009, 12:39 PM
Nice work Stef. I had never heard of a Dibble before. I can see where it would be handy though. I will have to make one for the GF. She is the gardner of house.

michael gallagher
02-25-2009, 1:54 PM
Welcome to the vortex and the bottomless pit called pen turning. My wife thinks I am nuts with all of the pens I make, but it is rewarding, and I'm glad to hear you like it, too (you can always see how one addict can relate to another).

Your pens look a lot better than my first batch, and I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work!