PDA

View Full Version : Martin's idea and wood....my first winged bowl...

Ken Fitzgerald
02-24-2009, 11:16 PM
Many moons ago..another Creeker generously sent me some wood. Martin Shupe gifted me with some various turning blanks. On one he wrote a note "Winged Bowl"?....I had that and various other pieces of wood sitting just inside the door of the shop and every day I would walk by it and think to myself....can I get a winged bowl out of that? Just the thought made my fingers flinch.....

Well Martin.....thanks for the wood and the note and it's idea.

My first winged bowl....mesquite..wormy mesquite crotch......longest distance 13 1/2"......walls and wings...3/8" thick....finish.......1 coat of Min-Wax Antique Oil.....and Beal buffed.....

Comments and critiques welcome.

Barry Stratton
02-24-2009, 11:17 PM
You done good Ken, CONGRATS!!!!

That mesquite sure is nice to turn.

Bernie Weishapl
02-24-2009, 11:18 PM
Ken that is a beautiful piece. Very well done. I made a couple just to say I could and did but the pucker factor is pretty high.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-24-2009, 11:20 PM
Barry..Thanks. Yes it was a pleasure to turn and it finishes as good or better than any other wood I've turned and finished....smooth as silk!

Robert McGowen
02-24-2009, 11:22 PM
Very nice job Ken!

Dewey Torres
02-24-2009, 11:23 PM
Ken,
That is certainly a beauty. Any bloody knuckles?

Great photo work as well.

Don Carter
02-24-2009, 11:24 PM
Wow! Ken that is beautiful! That big ole lathe can do some great stuff.;)
Finish looks good too. Great job.

All the best.

Don

alex carey
02-24-2009, 11:27 PM
cool winged bowl. that is definititely a nice piece of wood.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-24-2009, 11:27 PM
Ken,
That is certainly a beauty. Any bloody knuckles?

Great photo work as well.

It never touched my hands. It surprised me ...I figured I'd lose my concentration and end up with some skin missing but the old guy got by this time.

Allen Neighbors
02-24-2009, 11:29 PM
Awesome!! Thanks for posting the pics of this beautiful bowl.

David Christopher
02-24-2009, 11:29 PM
Ken, thats a great looking bowl....good job

Jack Giovo
02-24-2009, 11:30 PM
Me too I like it - nice workmanship, design, and finish.

Great job!!
Jack

Steve Schlumpf
02-24-2009, 11:30 PM
Beautiful winged bowl Ken! Love the wood! Really nice form. I like how you positioned the bowl off to one side. Great job on lining up the top and bottom of the bowl! Really like how you slightly undercut the outside edge of the rim! Gives it definition and highlights the bowl within the piece!

Very nice work! Thanks for sharing!

Brian Effinger
02-25-2009, 12:38 AM
Excellent work Ken! I'm sure you're proud of this one - I know I'd be. :)

Martin Shupe
02-25-2009, 12:53 AM
Great job, Ken!

I knew you would find a beautiful bowl inside that piece of mesquite crotch.

I've got one more in my stash, waiting for a bigger lathe. It is a little big for my mini.

Well done, my friend.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-25-2009, 6:17 AM
Great job, Ken!

I knew you would find a beautiful bowl inside that piece of mesquite crotch.

I've got one more in my stash, waiting for a bigger lathe. It is a little big for my mini.

Well done, my friend.

Stick it in a Fedex box.....I'm sure you can have more than one carry-on.:rolleyes: Fly to LWS. I'll meet you at the Fedex office (It's about 4 blocks from my house). You can use my PM3520B....my new Ellsworth bowl gouge....I've got a couple of extra-heavy duty scrapers....Are you qualified in those single-engine turbo-props they bring into here from GEG?

Steve Busey
02-25-2009, 7:53 AM

Sweet looking bowl - been wanting to try one of those myself.

And now you can claim your work was featured on the cover of a Tage Frid book!

ROY DICK
02-25-2009, 8:11 AM
Ken,
Great skills for sure. Not to mention guts.

Steve this is funny as heck, but oh so true.
And now you can claim your work was featured on the cover of a Tage Frid book![/quote]

Mark Patoka
02-25-2009, 8:16 AM
Wow, that looks great. Good job on your first Winged. I've got to find a crotch piece in my firewood pile and give it a try. I'd love to get hold of some mesquite, nice looking wood.

Bob Hallowell
02-25-2009, 8:17 AM
Ken, Great job! I have yet to try one of those. Maybe someday.

Bob

Alan Trout
02-25-2009, 9:14 AM
Very nice bowl Ken. One day I will try one of these. Your execution of the piece was excellent.

Alan

Martin Shupe
02-25-2009, 10:23 AM
Stick it in a Fedex box.....I'm sure you can have more than one carry-on.:rolleyes: Fly to LWS. I'll meet you at the Fedex office (It's about 4 blocks from my house). You can use my PM3520B....my new Ellsworth bowl gouge....I've got a couple of extra-heavy duty scrapers....Are you qualified in those single-engine turbo-props they bring into here from GEG?

If I can get a weekend in GEG, I'll bring it up and you can show me how it's done.

I'd love to fly a C-208, but I never have had the chance.

Someday I'll take you up on your offer for a visit, I promise.

I heard that GEG got record snowfall this year.

Bill Bolen
02-25-2009, 10:52 AM
Those fingers must not have been flinching too much! Outstanding job Sir! Love the centering of the bowl shape in the crotch. May not have been a finger catcher but it certainly is an eye catcher...Bill...

Thomas Canfield
02-25-2009, 12:04 PM
Ken,

That is really getting the best out of the piece. The single coat of antique oil and Beale buff finish did surprisingly well. I have never tried to finish with only one coat of oil and usually would do at least 2 or more. The Mesquite is very dense wood and does finish well. I hope you had a good dusk mask working with the fine dust sanding as the dust can be a major problem.

Steve Mawson
02-25-2009, 12:10 PM
That is a bute. Would look great on my coffee table.