PDA

View Full Version : Bosch router?

Laurie Brown
02-24-2009, 9:14 PM
I bought one of those Bosch 1617 combo kits a couple years ago, and since I mounted my router in a table, which is where I use it most of the time, I have the two bases sitting around gathering dust. Is there anywhere I can buy just the motor, so I can have one to use with the bases? I've seen some listed for $150+, and seeing that the entire combo kit was only about $220, that seems kind of high to me for just a motor. Any ideas? Anybody have one they don't use?

george wilson
02-25-2009, 12:30 PM
I could be wrong,but I think the Bosch is the same diameter as other routers. Actually,now i remember we just swapped a Bosch for a Porter Cable on our carving machine before I retired. Both routers fit the machine. there may be some difference in other parts that fit the elevating mechanism,but if you can take them off,the body from another router might work in your base. hope this isn't confusing. You would just have to manually adjust the depth of cut to save money.

Paul Greathouse
02-25-2009, 7:17 PM
Laurie, if you think about it, most of the cost of manufacturing the kit you bought is in the motor. With that said, $150 is a little on the high side but not extremely. The last "motor only" I purchased was about 4 years ago, it was a Porter Cable 690 with the variable speed and cost $100 if I recall correctly.

I got it on Ebay, from a regular seller that went by the name of "Big Leroys Tool Shed". I haven't seen him sell on Ebay in a while but he did have a brick and mortar store somewhere in Florida. Real nice guy to deal with, I bought several things from him over a period of time before he quit selling on Ebay. He used to sell alot of seperate pieces of router combo sets. If you have the time to watch Ebay for a while, you should be able to find something.

Matt Day
02-26-2009, 8:14 AM
i think the craftsman routers are the exact same too - might want to check those out.