PDA

View Full Version : Osborne EB3 vs. Incra 1000SE miter guages

Alan Tolchinsky
07-12-2004, 1:47 PM
I've checked the archives first. Can anybody compare these two from first hand experience? What experience do you have with either one or any other good ones? I''ve heard the EB3 has some flex and rocks in the miter slot. True? I've wanted one of these for a long time and I've made several sleds. But I'd like one of these since they are smaller and handier than an sled. Thanks Alan

Dick Parr
07-12-2004, 2:06 PM
Alan,

I have the 1000SE and am a little disappointed in it. :( It takes a bit to get it square before you use it. Not just the first set up. After watching Norm I wish I had gotten the EB3 like I planned to but found a good deal on the SE and got it instead.

I have had it for about 1-1/2 and don’t use it like I thought I would since I’m not that satisfied with it. I find I was using the sleds more and more or the CMS instead.

If you have a Wood craft in the area, they have both and you can try each one before you buy. They didn’t have the EB3 when I was looking for one.

Good luck

Greg Heppeard
07-12-2004, 3:22 PM
I sell both in my store and would recommend the EB3. Both are onsale @ Woodcraft on the 22nd of this month...10% off.

JayStPeter
07-12-2004, 3:59 PM
I have a 1000SE that I like. I find it very accurate. It isn't super heavy duty, meaning, if I try I can get it to deflect. But, if I don't try to make it fail, it works flawlessly. I give it my top rating of - if it was stolen I would get another.
I think the Osbourne is probably a good tool, maybe even better than the Incra (dunno, havent used one). But, I like the (relatively) compact size of the Incra. I hung it right on the front of my saw. The Osbourne looks like a bigger device, which isn't what I wanted in a miter gauge. When I want to cut bigger pieces, I get out a sled.

Jay

Jack Hogoboom
07-12-2004, 4:25 PM
I have the 1000SE and, frankly, can't figure out how to use it. The measuring tape on the top bears no resemblance to where the stop is in relation to the saw blade. I've looked at it several times and can't solve that mystery. I use it to crosscut, but I measure everything by hand. I'm sure it's operator error, but I'm disappointed. I thought I'd be able to dial-in the stop and have it cut to length every time.

If someone knows what I'm missing (other than 50 IQ points), please let me know.

Jack

Ed Hardin
07-12-2004, 4:35 PM
Well, I bought the EB-2 and ain't unhappy. Thing was dead on out of the box. To be honest I use the Dubby cutoff sled more than anything but am not uncomfortable picking up the EB.

Gene Collison
07-13-2004, 8:41 PM
I have the 1000SE and, frankly, can't figure out how to use it. The measuring tape on the top bears no resemblance to where the stop is in relation to the saw blade. I've looked at it several times and can't solve that mystery. I use it to crosscut, but I measure everything by hand. I'm sure it's operator error, but I'm disappointed. I thought I'd be able to dial-in the stop and have it cut to length every time.

If someone knows what I'm missing (other than 50 IQ points), please let me know.

Jack

Adjust the rail on the miter guage close to the blade say with a 1/4" clearance. Raise the sawblade until the top of the fence rail and the top of the blade are at the same height. Slide the measuring tape in the slot until it touches the blade and leave it there. Now lower the blade and set the stop to whatever dimension that you want to cut. Hope this helps you out of your dilemna.

gene

Dick Parr
07-13-2004, 8:49 PM
Thanks Jack for asking the questions and Gene for answering it. :D That was one of the other things I didn't like about it and keep forgetting to ask. :confused:

Thanks again.

Alan Tolchinsky
07-13-2004, 8:54 PM
I appreciate all the good comments. I'll have to go see both but at this point the Incra seems to fit the bill: something small and handy when I don't need a sled. I have several sleds but not 100% happy with any of them. Two are double runners and one single runner. I either get them too tight or too loose and it's very frustrating at times. I wonder how anything, miter guage or sled can be that accurate with only one runner? At least my SCMS is dead on for x-cuts. :) Thanks again all. Alan in Md.

Jack Hogoboom
07-13-2004, 9:14 PM
Gene,

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to try it. But isn't the tape measure on the top? How can you tell the distance of the stop when it's on the side and the tape is on top?

Jack

Gene Collison
07-13-2004, 9:21 PM
I wonder how anything, miter guage or sled can be that accurate with only one runner? At least my SCMS is dead on for x-cuts. :) Thanks again all. Alan in Md.[/QUOTE]

Alan, your assumption is correct, I've owned both the EB 3 and the Incra 1000. IMHO both designs are flawed and if you carefully check the cuts made with either with a Starrett square, neither are perfect or repeatable. If you clamp a dial indicator on the rail and put it against the sawblade both will move. There is another one on the market designed by Mark Duginski the bandsaw expert, it may be better than both. I believe the design was purchased by Jet and they are selling it. You might also try a metal rail for your sled as sold by Incra to stop the binding.

Gene

Gene Collison
07-13-2004, 9:31 PM
Gene,

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to try it. But isn't the tape measure on the top? How can you tell the distance of the stop when it's on the side and the tape is on top?

Jack

Jack, yes, the tape is on the top and the stop is in front, you really need a saddle square to set it accurately. Not much of an engineering job was it? Actually, when I use mine, I gon't even use the flimsy stop. I clamp a block of wood to the rail with a quik clamp, much easier and more positive.

Gene

Michael Ballent
07-13-2004, 10:16 PM
I have the 2000 and my instructions say that you are supposed to:
1) unplug the saw :D
2) raise the blade
3) move the stop until it touches a tooth on the blade
4) lock it into place
5) turn the screws to micro adjust the stop if needed
6) slide the tape to the left until the 0 is even with the left side of the body

That should be all you need to do. Now for what ever cut you need just unlock the stop and slide it into position referencing the left side of the body of the stop. HTH :D

JayStPeter
07-13-2004, 10:23 PM
It's even easier if you have a 1-2-3 setup block. Set the block 3" touching a tooth and the stop. Then move the tape so it shows 3" on one side.

Jay

Michael Ballent
07-13-2004, 10:26 PM
Oh I like that even better. Thanks for the tip :D