PDA

View Full Version : not wood working but...

Doug Sewell
02-24-2009, 6:27 PM
I need to install a bath vanity and sink. The corner that its going into is about one inch out of square. The tile on the floor and walls was put on after the old vanity was installed so there is a big hole that needs to be covered up on the floor and two walls. Need to do it as cheep as possible because the owner is on a fixed income.The vanity is not a promblem for me but I need to trim the end of a cultured marble sink so it will butt up to the wall. Anyone out there ever cut this stuff? I was thinking maybe a router or grinder. How bout some input from you all.
Thanks

Doug

Stephen Edwards
02-24-2009, 6:49 PM
Can you add some trim to cover the gap where the vanity top meets the wall to hide the "out of square problem"? Just a thought. Sorry, I don't know anything about cutting the cultured marble top.

Russ Boyd
02-24-2009, 6:51 PM
Sorry, I don't know either, but try this tile forum. Tile guys work with marble and might be able to help. http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?forumid=1 Russ

Doug Sewell
02-24-2009, 6:54 PM
I thought that but its going up against tile so there is no way to attach it to the wall or the sink. Thanks for the thought.

Doug

Doug Sewell
02-24-2009, 6:56 PM
Thanks Russ, I'll try over there.

Doug

Loren Hedahl
02-24-2009, 6:59 PM
I have no experience with cultured marble, but I have quite a bit of experience with ceramic tile.

I would purchase a diamond blade from HD for my circular saw to make the cut. It would be best to do this outside and run a small stream of water over the cut line.

You can mark the cut with a piece of tape on either side of the cut line separated by the width of the blade. Then with the counter lifted slightly in the direction of the cut, the water can be made to run down the space between the two pieces of tape to cool the cutting edge of the blade.

The diamond surface runs up the side of the blade slightly and can be used to trim a small amount, if needed.

For safety the saw should be double-insulated, i.e., having a plastic handle. You should also use a ground-fault protected outlet or extension cord and keep yourself dry.

Michael O'Sullivan
02-24-2009, 7:35 PM
I have not done this myself, but I believe you can cut cultured marble the way you would Corian. Ingredient-wise, I think they are pretty similar: pulverized stone and polyester resin.

keith ouellette
02-24-2009, 7:57 PM
I need to install a bath vanity and sink. The corner that its going into is about one inch out of square. The tile on the floor and walls was put on after the old vanity was installed so there is a big hole that needs to be covered up on the floor and two walls. Need to do it as cheep as possible because the owner is on a fixed income.The vanity is not a promblem for me but I need to trim the end of a cultured marble sink so it will butt up to the wall. Anyone out there ever cut this stuff? I was thinking maybe a router or grinder. How bout some input from you all.
Thanks

Doug

I have not done marble but I have done a little granite. the last piece I installed was for someone who wanted a hearth for their gas fire place.

I was using a left over piece of granite from a counter top. I cut it with a masonary blade on a circular saw. the front edge was finished but the sides weren't. I polished them and it looked great. many kudos from the owner.

I would do similar in your instance but you would not have to polish. I can't say if the marble will cut like the granite but the granite didn't chip much. the few chips there were on the top I was able to polish out.