PDA

View Full Version : DNA question

David Dobbs
02-24-2009, 6:20 PM
How much does it speed up the drying?

I have some small 4" and 5" bowls that I soaked a month ago are they close?

thanks
Dave

Steve Schlumpf
02-24-2009, 9:20 PM
David - your answer depends on a lot of different variables, such as temp stored at, humidity, size of bowl blank, thickness of that same blank, how the blank was wrapped, stored, etc. I would think under most circumstances that your bowl 'may' be ready to finish turn. Only you can tell if it feels lightweight and dry enough to the touch to be considered dry.

Best of luck with it! Remember - it is only wood. If it turns out the wood is still a little green, it may warp on you or possibly crack. Either way - it adds character to the turning!

Looking forward to seeing the finished product real soon!

David Christopher
02-24-2009, 9:44 PM
I think Steve has just about summed it up. but some times I can put a rough bowl on the lathe ( make sure it is really tight ) and turn up the RPMs let it run for a few minutes and see if you get moisture on the outside of the bowl. if you do its too wet

Bernie Weishapl
02-24-2009, 10:21 PM
I agree with Steve and David. What I have found when using DNA (by the way I used it now for 2 1/2 yrs) is that most of my bowls have been 5/8" to 1" thick walls. Most have been dry and ready to finishing turning in about 3 to 4 weeks. Haven't had a problem. Sometimes I will weigh them at the time I get them out of the DNA and wrap them. Then again in a week, then a week later and then in the 4th week. Generally there is no difference in the weight between the 3rd and 4th week.

David Dobbs
02-25-2009, 6:00 AM
thanks guys

I guess should have told a bit more.

the walls are 1/2" to 3/4"

4" to 5" bowls.

all types of wood Gum, maple, cherry & ash

I have put them in paper bags.

in the house with wood heat which most of the time has very dry air

most soaked for 24 hours

Dave

Bernie Weishapl
02-25-2009, 11:33 AM
That could be a problem with your heating and being bone dry. You could see a lot more cracking due to the wood drying to quickly in that enviroment. I keep mine in a cool place maybe 65 to 70 degrees with little air flow.

Cyril Griesbach
02-25-2009, 12:38 PM
David, I use a kitchen scale and weigh them in grams. Write down the date and weight each time you check them (2 or 3 days) and when they quit loosing weight they're done.