PDA

View Full Version : MDO and Busterboard

jack Halley
02-24-2009, 3:35 PM
I'm making a 2 sided MDO (w/15year latex) sign with busterboard ? (3/16ths mdf-like with a plastic type coating both sides) laser cut letters and graphic shapes glued to the face.
Has anyone used this combo for an outside sign? What did you seal the edges of the busterboard with? What would you use to adhere the busterboard to the MDO?
I am going to wrap the MDO with an oak trim and using fusion type paint on the letters/graphics.

Thanks for any advice you can give to make sure it lasts as long as possible.

I hope this is clearer than it seems to be to me.

Doug Bergstrom
02-25-2009, 12:52 PM
I would use either PVC or Sign foam. Both are weatherproof and can be painted and finished easily. Then just apply the letters and your are done.

Joe Pelonio
02-25-2009, 1:46 PM
I too would use a different material, acrylic or sign foam, or CNC cut PVC unless that sign will be mounted under an overhang where it's not going to be hit with the elements. Regardless of how well you seal the edges there will eventually be some warping and delaminating from moisture if rain gets on it.
If you do go with it, just use a good primer and paint on the edges. For mounting the letters.shapes onto the painted MDO a good 100% silicone adhesive (clear) will work fine.

jack Halley
02-25-2009, 4:32 PM
Thanks Doug and Joe. I appreciate your knowledgeable response.
Now I have to ponder the plan of action.

jack Halley
05-23-2009, 6:53 PM
I too would use a different material, acrylic or sign foam, or CNC cut PVC unless that sign will be mounted under an overhang where it's not going to be hit with the elements. Regardless of how well you seal the edges there will eventually be some warping and delaminating from moisture if rain gets on it.
If you do go with it, just use a good primer and paint on the edges. For mounting the letters.shapes onto the painted MDO a good 100% silicone adhesive (clear) will work fine.

Well I decided to scrap the scooterboard(had it all cut) way too much time involved.
I ran 8 colors of vinyl instead. one 4x8 MDO/2-side, one 5x10 Dibond_type_face only.

If you want to see something funny you should see a one-armed man apply a 10ft. piece of vinyl.

These were my first signs.

Thanks again for the help!

Scott Shepherd
05-23-2009, 7:35 PM
Nice looking job Jack. You want to see something funny, you should see these 2 arms trying to apply 10' of vinyl :)

Have you got a "Big Squeegee" yet? It makes laying down big pieces much much easier.

Joe Pelonio
05-23-2009, 7:35 PM
I'm glad you figured it out, and that's a very nice job!

jack Halley
05-23-2009, 7:50 PM
Thanks guys it was a lot more involved than I thought.
Scott I don't have the big squeegee yet but I will look into it.

Thanks again

Scott Shepherd
05-24-2009, 2:45 PM
Jack, this is what I'm talking about in case you haven't seen it -

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2935020210886593967

The main part I wanted to show you is about the 1:50 mark when he's applying the vinyl to the coroplast. Could easily be done with 1 arm.

jack Halley
05-25-2009, 12:04 PM
Thanks Scott I am looking into it.
Looks like a great tool.