Brian Runau
02-24-2009, 11:20 AM
WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK OF THIS DEAL?

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/tls/1032757189.html

THANKS

BRIAN

Rod Sheridan
02-24-2009, 11:23 AM
Hi Brian, it's the ubiquitous 4 post planer in the 15" size.

They're an average machine, and it meets my 50% price for used equipment in good condition.

If you want it, buy it.

I don't know what a new Delta or Steel city planer would cost, they're the same machine.

If you like Powermatic, I don't see how you could go wrong.

Regards, Rod.

John Thompson
02-24-2009, 12:13 PM
My personal opinion is it's too much.. about half of retail but.. that is an old style with roller table. After going over 15" & 20" planers I think the Power-matics are over-priced when compared to other planers the same size. I did not find them any better than Grizzly.. Steel City.. etc. etc. and I go over machinery pretty throughly.

You can get a new planer in 15" for about the same price.. with warranty.. that is just as good if not better and has cast iron tables. And of course this is just my opionion. There was a time that Powermatic on the side spoke for itself but.. IMO those times have gone but PM seems to ignore that in their pricing as many still believe yellowish gold with PM on the side means better.

Sarge..

Greg Almeida
02-24-2009, 12:50 PM
Hi,
I just purchased brand new15" spiralhead with digital readout for $1650.00.You should be able to find a new one for the same price or close.

Brian Runau
02-24-2009, 1:26 PM
Greg:

Which flavor did you go with?

Thanks

Brian

Matt Benton
02-24-2009, 2:04 PM
You might be hard-pressed to beat a deal like this, at least for a new machine:

http://www.grizzly.com/outlet/Extreme-Series-15-Planer-w-Spiral-Cutterhead/G1021X2

Rob Diz
02-24-2009, 3:58 PM
Seems high to me in this market.

Brian Runau
02-24-2009, 5:58 PM
The grizzly stuff is fairly priced, but I have read about rust problems, shipping problems, failure of metal components problems, that I have started to shy away from the brand. I almost feel I would rather spend more money and try and get a higher quality product.

Doesn't seem like there is much between $1200 and $2500 steel city for a planer?

Thanks

Brian

Todd Solomon
02-24-2009, 6:06 PM
The grizzly stuff is fairly priced, but I have read about rust problems, shipping problems, failure of metal components problems, that I have started to shy away from the brand. I almost feel I would rather spend more money and try and get a higher quality product.

Doesn't seem like there is much between $1200 and $2500 steel city for a planer?

Thanks

Brian

Hi Brian,

Just because there've been a couple of recent posts about Grizzlys with rust or shipping problems doesn't mean that's the norm. My Grizzly jointer came in a flawless crate and with no rust or defects. I think Grizzly does pretty good, for the most part. I wouldn't let that scare you off. I would not hesitate to buy from them again, unless a pattern of quality problems emerges. If you buy their low-end stuff, you get what you pay for. Their higher end products are pretty decent, from my experience.

CPeter James
02-24-2009, 6:54 PM
That planer is way over priced! No one ever paid $2719 for that machine.About the most it was street priced at would have been $1600 or $1700. I have the same machine in Jet white paint and I paid $1,195 for it NEW. All the brands come out of the same factory, so go down to your local Woodcraft or whatever and look them over. Do get a machine with the motor in the base. There are a couple of reasons for this and gravity is one. With the motor on the top there is more potential for snipe. I have run 14' long boards through mine and the moving table is not a problem. Not having the motor on the top makes it easier to change the knives when you sharpen them.

CPeter

Bruce Page
02-24-2009, 7:22 PM
Another CL charlatan. He paid $2719.00 for it and will take $1399.:rolleyes::rolleyes::eek:
I have the same planer bought new for $1100.

Brian Runau
02-25-2009, 8:27 AM
Thanks to all for your input.

Brian
indianapolis