PDA

View Full Version : Tips and Tricks from a magazine

Anthony Whitesell
02-24-2009, 9:36 AM
and other things I never knew ;)

1. Renew wood with mineral spirits - instead of try to wax the furniture to a shine, use mineral spirits. It will remove years of grime and residue and you get the same shine as waxing

2. Use laundry detergent containers with the spigot to store, decant, and supply paint thinner. (I'm not so sure about the decanting in the container and then turning it on its side and letting sit. Seems like the purpose would be quickly defeated)

3. Restore a saw blade by spray on oven cleaner and letting sit ofr 10 minutes.

4. Stop lumber from warping - 'If you store lumber in a pile long enough, it's bound to twist and bow. That's one reason lumber is shipped using steel bands. At home stack you lumber and then wrap the ends with rope and use a narrow board to twist it tight. Screw the board down to a board on the top of the pile until you're ready for the lumber in your project. Or even easier, use the ratcheting-type cargo tiedown straps. Setting your lumber on blocks rather than the floor will help too.'

5. Paint six sides of a door at once - Suspend the door by the hinges tied to the rafters to get access to all sides of the door

6. Filter your finish for a dust free application

I got a kick out of some of these.

Bill White
02-24-2009, 9:56 AM
Yep. and you're not gonna find me puttin' oven cleaner on my saw blades either. Make ya wonder about the writers.
Bill

Jose Kilpatrick
02-24-2009, 11:00 AM
7. Spray Pam on your reciprocating saw blades to avoid tearout.

Grant Morris
02-24-2009, 11:26 AM
Hanging a door from rafters is a silly suggestion. Firstly, when doors are hung by their hinges in a door jamb, you have access to all 6 sides of the door anyway and painting them is simple and quick. Just put some masking tape over the hinges so you don't get paint on them.

Secondly, and more importantly, unless you are working in a place that has no ceilings, you would have to make holes in the ceiling to get to the rafters. That is just plumb crazy.

Jose Kilpatrick
02-24-2009, 11:30 AM
That is just plumb crazy.

Pun intended?

Westley Rosenbaum
02-24-2009, 11:44 AM
7. Spray Pam on your reciprocating saw blades to avoid tearout.

Haha now that was funny