PDA

View Full Version : Woodmaster mobile base question?

Robert Parrish
02-24-2009, 8:04 AM
Woodmaster offers 3 mobility options, which do you recommend for a small shop? They offer 4 casters for $61, a small mobile base that looks like it is a Shopfox for $75 and a large US made mobile base that is $199. Or should I shop around for a 3rd party base? Thanks

Bob Wingard
02-24-2009, 10:29 AM
I copied their 4 caster version. Cut two pieces of 1/4" mild steel to span the legs .. drilled holes .. mounted some cheap casters from Northern Tool.

Pretty easy overall .. no drilling/tapping or anything special. Since then, I have built several bases for other equipment, and they are all based on the HTC unit. If I were doing the Woodmaster again that's the one I would choose .. bigger footprint, a bit more stable, and a few inches lower. They are all made of simple 1" X2" 8ga or 11 ga mild steel, with corner braces cut from 1/8" or 1/4" flat stock, welded at a 45 deg angle across the corners. It's hard to explain how the casters are mounted, but if you look at an HTC unit, it is pretty evident.

Rob Diz
02-24-2009, 11:54 AM
I ordered four 2 way locking casters from Great Lakes Casters - much less expensive and higher quality. Also with four moving casters instead of two, I am able to move my 718 around in my single car garagemahal much easier.

If you call Great Lakes caster and tell them what type of floor you have they will get you to a good caster at much lesss than $61.

Joe Von Kaenel
02-24-2009, 12:30 PM
Robert,

I ordered the 4 casters from Woodmaster and they work well on my 712. I agree with Rob, the 4 casters make the machine much more mobile. I have for storage issues in my shop.

Joe

Ed Labadie
02-24-2009, 2:01 PM
My drum sander came with the "free" shopfox base. I wasn't impressed. The casters were way to small, they had NO bearings & the leveler pads kept falling off when it was being moved.
After welding the frame up solid and putting 4" casters (with locks) under it, I'm pretty happy with it now.

Ed

Bruce Page
02-24-2009, 2:27 PM
My WM drum sander also came with the shopfox base.
The base itself is ok but the wheels were junk. I went to a local castor company and bought some quality red wheel replacements.

Robert Parrish
02-24-2009, 2:37 PM
I noticed that Shop Fox base in their catalog and did a little research and it is not rated very well, so I think I'm going to keep looking for a good base. I got burned with a Woodcraft base for my bandsaw. They offered to take it back but getting it out from under my Rikon bandsaw was not worth it.

Robert LaPlaca
02-24-2009, 8:50 PM
My Woodmaster drum sander has the Shopfox super heavy duty mobile base, as others have stated the castors are really junky and really need to be replaced with castors of a much better quality.

Rob Cunningham
02-25-2009, 8:40 AM
I got the Shopfox base with my drum sander too. As others have said, the casters are poor quality.

Bob Falk
02-25-2009, 8:10 PM
Woodmaster offers 3 mobility options, which do you recommend for a small shop? They offer 4 casters for $61, a small mobile base that looks like it is a Shopfox for $75 and a large US made mobile base that is $199. Or should I shop around for a 3rd party base? Thanks

If you are getting the 718 don't buy the dust chute. I have a like new one (never installed, but a couple of paint scratches) I'll sell you for half price or less. bob

Robert Parrish
02-25-2009, 9:11 PM
Thanks Bob but after calling to place my order and they told me the shipping was $389 I am rethinking my decision. I'm looking at the Jet 13" planer/molder. I really didn't need the sander and rip saw options so this may work out.