PDA

View Full Version : WIA - a little early, but - anyone planning to attend?

John Keeton
02-24-2009, 7:41 AM
Just checking to see if anyone is making early plans to attend the WIA in St. Charles, Ill August 14-16. I missed last years in Berea, even though it is just a few miles away. But, I did get to meet some fellow creekers.

I plan to attend this one if I can get my schedule worked out. Would love to hear from others.

Loren Blount
02-24-2009, 7:47 AM
What is WIA?

Loren

Ben Davis
02-24-2009, 7:55 AM
I am going to press hard to make it. The write ups from the KY show last year are just too good to miss. The videos posted are pretty telling as well.

John Keeton
02-24-2009, 8:08 AM
What is WIA?

LorenLoren, it is the Woodworking In America conference. Check this http://www.woodworkinginamerica.com/GeneralMenu/

Gary Herrmann
02-24-2009, 9:43 AM
Argh, it's full already. Won't be going to this one either, I guess...

Bob Lang
02-24-2009, 11:00 AM
The web site isn't up to date for this year's shows. The "sold out" banner as well as the schedule and list of presenters is all left over from last fall's conference in Berea. Your best bet to stay informed is to sign up for the newsletter, and you'll be among the first to know.

Bob Lang
senior editor, Popular Woodworking and Woodworking magazines

Steve Kohn
02-24-2009, 12:45 PM
Thanks I didn't know about this show. The expo is going to be held about 10 miles from my house. I am definitely going to sign up.

I also signed up for the newsletter. Thanks for the link.

David Gilbert
03-13-2009, 12:43 PM
John,

I missed linking up with you at the last WIA conference in Berea.

Have you heard anything about the program in St. Charles? I think the last conference was called "Hand Tools & Techniques Conference" and this one is "Furniture Construction and Design Conference".

I'm signed up for the newsletters but haven't received any yet. Last November I was still working so I could go. Now I'm retired and worry more about the money so I'm not sure if I will. I'm interested in the new topics but want more information before I sign up.

One piece of advice for any of you that do sign up is don't wait or you will be closed out. Also don't delay in signing up for the hands-on workshops since they were filled up before everything else. I suggested to the organizers that they should limit how many hands-on classes you could sign up for to only one or two. I signed up on the second day and there was only one workshop still open. I wondered (I'm making this up since I have no way to know for sure) if the first registrants signed up for multiple hands-on workshops so there weren't enough for everyone.

I am hoping that Popular Woodworking posts the speakers and sessions before the registration opens because when you register you have to sign up for all the classes that you want. Since you can't attend everything you have to prioritize and doing it on the fly can be a problem.

If you get a chance to go you will really enjoy it.

Cheers,
David

Narayan Nayar
03-13-2009, 1:23 PM
I'll be there. Just a stone's throw from my childhood home, and where my parents still live. I'm sure they won't mind me coming home and doing my laundry :).

Scott Brihn
03-13-2009, 2:15 PM
I attended in 2008 and enjoyed the experience but will likely not attend in 2009.

Steve Kohn
03-13-2009, 5:03 PM
Thanks I didn't know about this show. The expo is going to be held about 10 miles from my house. I am definitely going to sign up.

I also signed up for the newsletter. Thanks for the link.

For anyone who plans on attending with their wife who is not interested in the show, please note there are a significant amount of shops of interest in St. Charles and the neighboring Geneva.

There is easily a couple of days browsing around for the wives. I would suggest you Google St. Charles, IL and Geneva IL.

John Keeton
03-13-2009, 7:36 PM
David, I have signed up for the newsletter, but haven't heard yet either, but as Bob Lang said - we should get first notice. The website is under revision for the new information.

I will be taking my wife and have booked my room, but now have decided to stay with Narayan and his folks - just haven't told him yet:D

I am looking forward to going - just hope we get a good bit of participation from other creekers. I really enjoyed meeting several at the last WIA, even though I didn't attend the actual conference.

Narayan Nayar
03-13-2009, 9:13 PM
I will be taking my wife and have booked my room, but now have decided to stay with Narayan and his folks - just haven't told him yet:D.

:D

No problem. There's plenty of room in the backyard :)

Looking forward to meeting you and others at the conference.

John Keeton
03-13-2009, 9:19 PM
Let's see - tent and sleeping bags vs. room at the resort??:rolleyes: Tough call Narayan, but I think I am going to go with the resort this time:D See you there!

John Keeton
07-27-2009, 12:11 PM
Thought I would revive this thread to see if there are any other creekers that plan to attend!

Doug Shepard
07-27-2009, 12:17 PM
I'm waiting for the WIA - Waterford, MI show (next year aint it?:confused:).
Less money for gas, airfare, hotels, etc., means more money for planes.:D

John Keeton
07-27-2009, 12:31 PM
Oh, come on Doug! Fellowship with other creekers has to be nearly as good as more planes....doesn't it:confused: And, think of all that knowledge you will come home with!! Do it - you know you want to!

Myk Rian
07-27-2009, 2:02 PM
I'm waiting for the WIA - Waterford, MI show (next year aint it?:confused:).
Less money for gas, airfare, hotels, etc., means more money for planes.:D
Perhaps I'll meet you there.

Eric Gustafson
07-27-2009, 2:10 PM
I and Bill Wyko, my BIL and a fellow creeker, will be there! :D

Wilbur Pan
07-28-2009, 11:05 PM
I'll be there, but just on Friday. Hope to see you all there! I'm really looking forward to it.

Ben Martin
07-28-2009, 11:09 PM
Wish I could go, but I will be at the Iowa State Fair! :D

whit richardson
07-28-2009, 11:51 PM
I went to the inaugural WIA session last year, while good in many ways it was also frustrating in many ways. Roy Underhill as a wrap up speaker was "once-in-a-lifetime" experience no video can capture. That said I'm getting almost nonstop emails about how it's not too late to get in this summer one and one day specials so I have to believe it hasn't sold out like the first one.

Then the one in October has all the hand tool "hands on" plus based on my experiences last year I'd be okay paying to learn from Adam Cherubini or Mike Wenzloff again. Then again it's been a hard year for me on the $'s (I still have a job, this week) so justifying the total cost of these conferences vs. buying tools or even lumber is what it comes down to for me.

John Keeton
07-29-2009, 8:03 AM
Whit, I didn't attend last year, but I did attempt to get in about 3 weeks (as I recall) prior to the event and it was sold out. However, about a week prior, I received a call and they had several cancellations. My guess is that both attendees and PWW have a more firm idea of actual attendance this year - and, like you, I am sure the economy has taken its toll.

This conference is, of course, a different theme, and I suspect may attract a somewhat more diverse group than the later handtool conference scheduled in Valley Forge. But, for me, this will be my first, so I hope to see a lot, meet a bunch of creekers, and come away with new knowledge and inspiration for future projects.

I am trying to keep an ongoing list of creekers that are attending. Here are the names I have to date -

Al Navas
Mike Heidrick
Russ Massery
Steve Kohn
Narayan Nayar
Eric Gustafson
Bill Wyko
Wilbur Pan
John Keeton

For whatever reason, this thread was moved to off topic, and I doubt it gets the same coverage here. But, hopefully, we will get more acknowledgements.

whit richardson
07-29-2009, 10:18 AM
After attending last years WIA I found that I'd be better off taking a Marc Adams class on hand tools or sweating away in my shop with some pratice boards and a DVD than doing a 2 hrs session on hand planes. That said the conference was a lot of fun because it was smaller you got to meet other MIF (men in flannel, a rif on MIB). Lot's of fence post style jawing on shops, tools, fabled wood finds, etc. I had a chance to visit with some of these really great craftsmen. Plus I appreciated being able for visit with folks like Bob Lang and Glenn Huey who were helping out a bunch. Those guys have a lot to offer and teach too.

I'd love to go to the one your'e doing as I find those subjects, design, wood selection, construction technique etc. from the experts would be more instructive than the brief hands on sessions. Just to get to hear Jeffrey P. Greene would be incredible to me. I've read and reread his American Furniture of the 18th Century.

Again though I just can't afford that plus tools and supplies right now.

Heather Thompson
07-29-2009, 10:58 AM
I will be there!!!!

Just finished the registration, this is going to be just down the block from me, I could actually walk to Pheasant Run. Hope to meet other Creekers at this event.

Heather :D

whit richardson
07-29-2009, 11:10 AM
I will be there!!!!

Just finished the registration, this is going to be just down the block from me, I could actually walk to Pheasant Run. Hope to meet other Creekers at this event.

Heather :D

No fair! x

Narayan Nayar
07-29-2009, 11:32 AM
As mentioned above, I'll be there.

It'd be good if we arranged a SMC meetup. Or at least some way to identify other SMC folk.

John Keeton
07-29-2009, 12:04 PM

It'd be good if we arranged a SMC meetup. Or at least some way to identify other SMC folk.Agreed! Maybe we can look at the schedule, and pick a time and place to meet up for coffee. Perhaps let this thread run for a few more days first. I will look at the schedule this evening and maybe post a couple of suggestions. Heather, you may know more about Pheasant Run, and whether there is a small coffee shop there in the facility?

Heather Thompson
07-29-2009, 12:14 PM

It'd be good if we arranged a SMC meetup. Or at least some way to identify other SMC folk.

Narayan,

I agree that it would be good to arrange a SMC meetup, any ideas on how to do this. Last year I went to a Lie-Nielson event in Chicago (Jeff Millers Studio), other Creekers were there and I am sure that our shoulders probably touched, never met one of them. I do hope to meet you and other Creekers, this is my home.

Heather

John Keeton
07-29-2009, 7:49 PM
Just as a thought, Thursday evening may be a good chance to meet. Not sure how many will arrive that evening, but locals like Heather that are close could make it.

Narayan Nayar
08-04-2009, 11:02 AM
Sorry, lost track of this thread.

Thursday night I won't be able to make it. Friday or Saturday night might be a possibility. But schedule for the majority, of course.

Irrespective of the structured get-together, should one materialize, I was thinking that putting a conspicuous "SMC" on the top right of your badge would make it relatively easy to just "bump into" other creekers while walking around. I've done this at other conferences--usually with a brightly colored sticker or a ribbon, and it's worked out pretty well.

I just had an idea--I'll be manning the Sketchup Lab from time to time (don't know the exact times now). If WIA St. Charles is anything like the other woodworking conferences I've attended, I'm pretty easy to spot. And to make it easier, I'm told I look exactly like my avatar (funny it's not the other way around).

So this is what I'll do--I'll go buy a pack of colored stickers before the conference and have them with me at the Sketchup Lab. If you're a Creeker and want to be identified as such, stop by and say hi and I'll give you a sticker.

John Keeton
08-05-2009, 4:13 PM
Excellent!! And, a great way for Narayan to drum up business for the SU lab, too! Thanks for taking the initiative on this, Narayan.

On the idea of meeting for coffee, perhaps a mid morning time, or lunch, might be better. Any other thoughts out there - time is getting close!!:D

Russ Massery
08-06-2009, 11:02 PM
I'm up for anytime on Friday. Dinner, Breakfast perhaps? Except for when I'll be attending the sessions. I plan on being up there well before 8:00am.

whit richardson
08-09-2009, 4:01 PM
If anyone goes the Jeffrey P. Greene's session let me know how good it is. FYI I'm getting emails now very often on how I can now just pay for one session, discounts, etc. Attendance must be down. Still I think the folks and PWW have a good thing that will get better.

ltr

Narayan Nayar
08-11-2009, 2:10 PM
Update: I'll be in the Sketchup Lab on Friday from 9 to 12 am and on Saturday from 1 to 4pm.

Narayan Nayar
08-19-2009, 2:05 AM
Well, WIA has come and gone. I met 2 creekers: Heather and John, and was only quick enough on the draw to hand out a sticker to John. Heather, sorry I didn't think to give you a sticker when I saw you!

I wish this thread hadn't been moved to off-topic. This is the second "real world gathering" thread in which I've been involved that was moved to off-topic to die an untimely death.

For what it's worth, another woodworking forum which doesn't designate real-world get-togethers of its online community "off topic" apparently had a nice and well-attended breakfast near the resort.

John Keeton
08-19-2009, 7:18 AM
Agreed Narayan!! It was good to meet you, even if briefly. I made a total of three (as I recall) attempts to get broad coverage on this topic and got moved every time. I posted a link to the WIA conference, and got edited. Not sure of the problem, but it became very difficult to assemble any type of cohesive spirit for the conference. I had made a list of creekers that I thought would be attending from the responses, but I had several that were not on my list approach me and introduce themselves. It would have been nice to have a gathering and get to know each other a bit better.

Fortunately, Al Navas and wife Sandy shared dinner with us at the banquet, Russ Massery and I shared coffee on Friday morning, and spent some time together on Friday.

Wilbur Pan shared lunch with me (actually he bought my lunch! Thanks, Wilbur!) on Friday, and dinner with my wife and I that evening (again, he bought!! We nearly rolled outside in a brawl over it, but he is very insistent!) We met his wife, Mary, and their two adorable sons - great family. We have an agreement that I pay next time!

There is a lot of community here - some great folks. Hopefully, for future such events, there can be more of an effort to permit some pre-planning.

Narayan Nayar
08-19-2009, 12:43 PM
Maybe one of the moderators would be kind enough to explain why these threads get moved. I agree they're difficult to classify (furniture design isn't strictly a power or "neander" topic, and this was definitely echoed in the conference content), but no more so than many topics that appear in either of those two forums. I would definitely object to the notion that these threads are off-topic and would really like some clarification on why they're considered verboten in the main forums.

There are regularly threads which have to do with so-called "Creeker visits", and I know I've seen threads in the Turner's forum for AAW meetups. The fact that a simple link to the WIA conference got edited (as you tell it) is particularly disappointing.

It seems odd to me that an otherwise excellent internet community such as SMC would be seemingly so hellbent on restricting both the internet and attempts to materialize that community.

Mods, any insight?