PDA

View Full Version : Question on Stanley trademark on iron

Mike Henderson
02-24-2009, 12:52 AM
I have a Stanley 78 plane iron (and plane). The logo on the iron is "Stanley Rule and Level Co" in a semicircle (a bit more than a semicircle, actually). Inside the circle is the following: "

Pat'd
Jan 30, 83
Nov 18, 84
Reisd (or Peisd, or Relsd or Pelsd)
Oct 23, 88

It's hard to see the word that I have several options on. Could it be RELSD to mean "released"? And if so, why would they put that on the iron? What would "released" mean? I can read the rest of the trademark clearly but that word is faint.

[Added note: No patent dates on the body of the plane, and I can't find any casting marks on the body or the cap.]

Mike

Jim Koepke
02-24-2009, 3:31 AM
I have a Stanley 78 plane iron (and plane). The logo on the iron is "Stanley Rule and Level Co" in a semicircle (a bit more than a semicircle, actually). Inside the circle is the following: "

Pat'd
Jan 30, 83
Nov 18, 84
Reisd (or Peisd, or Relsd or Pelsd)
Oct 23, 88

It's hard to see the word that I have several options on. Could it be RELSD to mean "released"? And if so, why would they put that on the iron? What would "released" mean? I can read the rest of the trademark clearly but that word is faint.

[Added note: No patent dates on the body of the plane, and I can't find any casting marks on the body or the cap.]

Mike

It is for Reissued. For some reason, some patents back in those days were reissued. The type 1 on that plane has just the two earliest patent dates. I think the last date you have listed might actually be Oct 23, 83 as that is when the patent was reissued.

I don't know this stuff. Just recently found an affordable copy of the John Walter book. The price seems to have come down a bit recently.

jim

Mike Henderson
02-24-2009, 9:29 AM
Thanks for the information, Jim. You're right about that date - it is '83. I went back and examined it with a magnifying glass and that's what it is.

What is that John Walter book? Is it "Antique & Collectable Stanley Tools - Guide to Identity & Value?" Not a cheap book, but big - 885 pages.

Mike