PDA

View Full Version : Bleaching Cherry?

George Morris
02-23-2009, 10:00 PM
Did a search found out I need a 2 part wood bleach. My question is has anyone bleached cherry? This weekend I did a carving class with Mike Kehs great instructor,Carved leaves on small cherry plater.and want to mout it on a large cherry platter I turned, want to try bleaching the large platter to contrast the carving. Any thoughts? George

John Beaver
02-23-2009, 10:34 PM
Haven't bleached cherry, but have done other woods. If the cherry is pretty dark to start with it should work o:k. Redish color woods tend to work well.
Be prepared for the bleach to pull the grain which will require more sanding. Also sand lightly as it's easy to sand back through the bleached wood. I would definitely try a sample piece before working on a finished turning. Lastly I recommend using a non-oil based finish, as the oil will tend to add yellow back in.

Jim Becker
02-24-2009, 8:34 PM
It should bleach fine. I'm envious of the time you spent with Mike...he's been doing some absolutely OUTSTANDING work these days! I have no doubt you learned a lot.

George Morris
02-24-2009, 11:04 PM
John thanks for the info. Jim yes Mike is very very talanted. I learned a lot and look forward to putting it to use. I would recommend his classes to anyone he is a great teacher and a gentleman. George