PDA

View Full Version : Can someone import dwg file into CorelDraw?

Richard Rumancik
02-23-2009, 9:35 PM
I have an AutoCad dwg file from a customer, not sure of the version but I can't open it or import it. (I asked for it in R14 format but I am not really sure what I've got.) I would appreciate it if someone could open it in CorelDraw for me.

George Brown
02-23-2009, 9:44 PM
I have an AutoCad dwg file from a customer, not sure of the version but I can't open it or import it. (I asked for it in R14 format but I am not really sure what I've got.) I would appreciate it if someone could open it in CorelDraw for me.
Post it or PM me and I can try.

Mike Null
02-23-2009, 10:12 PM
I have had no luck importing dwg's in X3.

Duane Parcells
02-23-2009, 10:45 PM
Hi Richard
I import them into Turbocad and save in another format that is Corel friendly.
Post the file or pm me and I'll give it a shot.
Duane

Scott Challoner
02-23-2009, 11:06 PM
You can import dxf files into CorelDraw. Your customer can save the AutoCAD file as a dxf. Before they do it, they should select everything and convert it to a line width of 0 pts. Otherwise, every vector cuts 21 times. Your customer may also be able to print it to a pdf which you can import into Corel. Since it was created in a vector program, it remains vector after it's imported. If it's saved as a pdf, you don't have to do the conversion to 0 width lines. If you like, PM me and I can do either conversion.

HTH

Dave Johnson29
02-24-2009, 10:04 AM
I have an AutoCad dwg file from a customer, not sure of the version but I can't open it or import it.

Richard,

IMHO the safest way for you is to get the customer to save it as a DXF rather than having someone here import and export to a different format.

I would be happy to do it for you, but in my experience of 15 years of CNC machining, I now never mess with supplied drawings. If the drawing will not cut then it goes back and is changed by the customer until it does cut.

Keep getting back to the customer for another copy until you can suck the file in and cut a sample.

Just my 10,950 cents worth of experience. :) 15 years x 365 days x $0.02.

George Brown
02-24-2009, 10:33 AM
Just my 10,950 cents worth of experience. :) 15 years x 365 days x $0.02.

You forgot the leap years! :D

Richard Rumancik
02-24-2009, 2:15 PM
Actually, I got both a dxf and a dwg and could not open either. George Brown offered to help and was able to supply a conversion. Thanks, George.

I realize that all conversions have some risk. I suppose it would help if I got a later version of AutoCad LT and CorelDraw as well. But in this case I got the information that I needed.

In some cases you can be tough with customers but it can have consequences too. I asked twice for a suitable file and was reluctant to go back a third time. The more customers you have the tougher you can be . . .

Doug Griffith
02-24-2009, 2:47 PM
I'm curious if CorelDraw imports DXF as arcs or segments?

Dave Johnson29
02-24-2009, 3:26 PM
I'm curious if CorelDraw imports DXF as arcs or segments?

Doug,

That would first be dependent on the version they were saved with.

I just created a half-circle shape in FastCAD and exported it at R2000 and another one at R2.5.

I then imported both into Corel V10 and under magnification they both show as curves and closed objects.

I selected then exported the R2000 object from Corel in R2000 format and loaded it back into FastCAD and there was no curve!

I selected then exported the R2.5 object from Corel in R2.5 format and loaded it back into FastCAD and the curve was there but it did not close to the end of the line. Attached pic is after Corel and loading back into FastCAD. I tried another CAD program and same thing, Corel had left the object open.

As an aside, this sounds like the problem Phyllis has...
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=105059

Doug Griffith
02-24-2009, 3:47 PM
That would first be dependent on the version they were saved with.

Thanks Dave,
I'll have to experiment with different versions to see which works best because segmented curves can make some rough looking cuts.

I've been contemplating Bezarc for a few years now because of issues with translating bezier curves into DXF files. It's pricey though.

http://www.kandusoftware.com/products/windows/bezarc.php?product=Bezarc

Cheers,
Doug

mark lowe
02-24-2009, 11:53 PM
Interesting problems. I open DWG files created in SolidWorks all the time. I don't use the import function though. I simply select the file and open it, no problems ever. I have done this with Corel 10, X3 and X4. Maybe the AutoCad file act different, I'll have to give it a try. SolidWorks is my main CAD application, maybe I just got lucky with my choice.