PDA

View Full Version : Everybody Has An Opinion, What's Yours?

George Summers
07-12-2004, 10:06 AM
Between Father's Day and Birthday monies, I have about $130-$150 to spend. I am looking at four expenditures. Which do you use most?

1- A Incra 1000SE miter gauge. I have sleds for 90° and 45° and for random angles and a CMS I sorta trust for correct angles.

2- A scraper which I don't have one of, a new saw blade (better rip blade than I now have), and a couple of magnetic Grip-Tite featherboards (I currently use a variety of purchased and home made featherboards).

3- A Delta or Woodtek (WWS house brand) horizontal wheel sharpening center (I currently use scary sharp)

4- A benchtop combo belt/disc sander in this price range. I currently have nothing except handheld ROS and beltsander and finish sander and a bench grinder.

George

David Hayes
07-12-2004, 10:14 AM
I vote for #2. A good rip blade is a joy to use. The featherboards can make your work safer. With the scraper, be sure to get a burnisher.

Have fun.

Dave

Brad Schmid
07-12-2004, 10:36 AM
I'd have to vote for #2 as well.

Joseph N. Myers
07-12-2004, 11:20 AM
George,

Obviously you've done your homework and have it narrowed down to the ones you've listed. Even at that, any recommendations would depend on what equipment you currently have, the type of work you have been doing and what you plan to do (or would like to do), the wood you use, the size shop, etc.

For instance, if you're into clamping a lot of wood, there is a group on SMC that is thinking about a group buy of some clamps. If your into ripping/edge gluing, a 2) rip blade is a great buy (I use one of the Freud 24 teeth anti-vibe blades). If you have to sharpen a lot of things, a 3) horizontal wheel sharpner will save you lots of money. If you need to do a lot of edge sanding, a 4) benchtop combo belt/disc sander is a good addition. (As an alternate, an oscillating Spindle Sander is a a good piece of equipment and close to your price range).

At different times in the past when I had some extra money, I bought something to promote safety (depending on the last time I screwed up a part of my body). Other times, I've bought something that would help me in some future work like the Kreg Jig (pocket hole jig, great tool and quite a time saver).

Regards, Joe

John Gregory
07-12-2004, 11:30 AM
I have two grip tites and love them. The are easy to use and protects me from injury. I use them on my table saw as well as my jointer.

You must be like me. You get a few dollars to spend, and have a million places you would like to spend them :)

Hal Flynt
07-12-2004, 12:18 PM
#2 AS Well.

Scrapers are in the $5 range and get more use than sandpaper in my shop.

The Grip Tites especially with the wheels are really handy items to have.

I don't use my rip blade as much as I use the Forrest II blade (actually, I haven't used my rip blade since the WWII).

Scary sharp still does it for me and a slow speed grinder for the rough shape. (I'm not convinced the 2 horizontal wheels will do what I want done whereas a Makita or Tormek might.)

Ed Hardin
07-12-2004, 12:35 PM
I'd get a Forrest WWII. When I put mine on it was a shock to me just how much better it really was. Then, I'd get the grip tights. I have the basic model and find that I am grabbing that thing more often than not. ESPECIALLY when cutting thin stock. It is kind of scary at first moving your hand over the blade but the control of the stock is extraordinary.

Ed Hardin
07-12-2004, 12:37 PM
Sorry, I said grip tights, what I ment was the gripper system.

Andy London
07-12-2004, 12:50 PM
My Vote of your list would be #3, I would be lost without my combo sander although I have the floor model, the benchtop served me well for years.

I use scrapers however the ones at Lee Valley are fairly cheap in price so you can probably get both.

Andy

Greg Heppeard
07-12-2004, 12:52 PM
If you decide on the Incra SE, Woodcraft is having a 10% off everything on the 22nd of the month...might save a few bucks for other stuff.