PDA

View Full Version : Tracing 101

Dee Gallo
02-23-2009, 8:23 PM
Hi Everyone-

I just threw together a simple small tutorial for anyone who wants to try my tracing technique. It's zipped and saved in CorelDraw version 10, so hopefully everyone can open it. It's a 2 page document you might want to print out and refer to as you do the exact exercise. If you do, click on the image and copy it, then just paste it into your new document before trying the trace yourself.

I used the Chinese character for LOVE since it is made up of random shapes (to most people) and was handy. It is a nice jagged jpeg, typical of the kind of thing you might need to trace. I only did two small pieces, but you will get the idea. As you gain experience, it will get easier! It's really quite simple.

Hope this helps someone, since I doubt I'll be able to get to everyone's house any time soon!

cheers, dee

James Jaragosky
02-23-2009, 8:41 PM
Hi Everyone-

I just threw together a simple small tutorial for anyone who wants to try my tracing technique. It's zipped and saved in CorelDraw version 10, so hopefully everyone can open it. It's a 2 page document you might want to print out and refer to as you do the exact exercise. If you do, click on the image and copy it, then just paste it into your new document before trying the trace yourself.

I used the Chinese character for LOVE since it is made up of random shapes (to most people) and was handy. It is a nice jagged jpeg, typical of the kind of thing you might need to trace. I only did two small pieces, but you will get the idea. As you gain experience, it will get easier! It's really quite simple.

Hope this helps someone, since I doubt I'll be able to get to everyone's house any time soon!

cheers, dee
Thanks Dee. I can not wait to try it.
and i get to show up that brown nose teachers pet Steve by posting first!!!!!
Jim J.

Richard Rumancik
02-23-2009, 8:58 PM
Thanks for taking the time to prepare this, Dee.

A few questions - the nodes will always be cusp nodes at the beginning, correct? If I was doing a shape where I wanted all the corners to be rounded, is there an easy way to change the node type of several nodes, or do you need to change them one at a time?

Dee Gallo
02-23-2009, 10:25 PM
The nodes will always be straight line nodes after clicking corner to corner. The only thing you can do with them is to move the node itself.

I find it easiest and fastest when you change all of them to the same kind of node. I chose this one because each side of the node acts independently. You have more control. Some of the other ones interact with both sides at the same time and it is unpredictable sometimes. (ie: you pull one line and the next line moves where you don't want it to.)

BTW- sometimes when I want a curve to be smoother, I will eliminate the "hump" node after making the initial shape. This is especially helpful when you have a leaf shape (2 pointy ends and curves on each side). It starts out as a diamond (4 nodes) and ends up with only 2.

To select a few or more nodes at the same time, just surround them with the shape tool selected. You can also select a few at a time to change them without doing the whole thing. You can also change them to another type - I find that handy when I want a line segment to be perfectly straight and not play with the arrows at all. You can also keystroke control-A to get all of them selected quickly.

As you use them, you will get more familiar with what you like. But as I said, the fastest work is done when you use just one kind, since it will do what you want every time and not surprise you with crazy unexpected changes. I hate having to go back a rework something. When that happens, I'd just delete the node and make a new one where I want it.

Have fun, dee

Steve Clarkson
02-23-2009, 10:57 PM
Dee,

I just credited your paypal account with a huge amount of money.

Thank you soooo much for taking the time to do this. You have no idea what I was doing before......but it involved PhotoPaint, the paint brush and the eraser.......

Clearly, I haven't mastered the whole node thing yet.....and I was thought...."a node is a node is a node".....I had no idea there were different kinds!

Next, you'll have to teach me how you made that really cool tutorial!!!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!!!!

PS.....make sure you tell Jim that I'm still your favorite!

James Jaragosky
02-23-2009, 11:59 PM
Dee,

I just credited your paypal account with a huge amount of money.

Thank you soooo much for taking the time to do this. You have no idea what I was doing before......but it involved PhotoPaint, the paint brush and the eraser.......

Clearly, I haven't mastered the whole node thing yet.....and I was thought...."a node is a node is a node".....I had no idea there were different kinds!

Next, you'll have to teach me how you made that really cool tutorial!!!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!!!!

PS.....make sure you tell Jim that I'm still your favorite!

Large sums of money; well articulated flattery; I just can't compete on so many levels. I need a Prozac and some rest.

Carrol Fleming
02-24-2009, 1:38 AM
Thanks Dee - a wonderful birthday present from you to us :) - hope you had a special day.
Carrol

Carrol Fleming
02-24-2009, 1:40 AM
Confused with time zones - is your birthday today? Or rather once I have had my day and retired for the night?:confused:
Carrol

Dee Gallo
02-24-2009, 6:41 AM
Large sums of money; well articulated flattery; I just can't compete on so many levels. I need a Prozac and some rest.

James and Steve - you guys are just too smooth for words!

Carol - I don't know what it is in Africa, but my day was the 22nd, thanks!

Rangarajan Saravana kumar
02-24-2009, 6:44 AM
Hi,

Good Tutorial to start with... I remember trying to do with corel trace first and then match the output, draw to simplify my work.

Even another idea, try photo grav to clear noise in picture, then corel trace or adobe illustrator to proceed

Regards,

Saravanakumar

Tim Bateson
02-24-2009, 7:39 AM
Dee, Thank you. Have you thought about making it a YouTube video?

Dee Gallo
02-24-2009, 8:25 AM
Dee, Thank you. Have you thought about making it a YouTube video?

Haha - very funny - I gave up my video making days long ago!

So in the light of a new day, I proofed the document and made a few changes and additions. Here's the newest version. Not much different, just more instructions for finishing the job.

Kumar - BTW I had a student named Kumar and I always liked that name... my goal is always to streamline the process, so I remove the noise "in my eyes" as I go, rather than refine the image first in some other program. After you've done a bunch, you will be able to see what you want even through a really crummy image.

Steve, making the tutorial was just a matter of drawing, copy/paste, layout and typing...same as any other job.

cheers, dee

Steve Clarkson
02-24-2009, 8:32 AM
Steve, making the tutorial was just a matter of drawing, copy/paste, layout and typing...same as any other job.

cheers, dee

Did you do it in Corel? Or did you make it in Word? How do you copy a picture of the cursor?

Belinda Barfield
02-24-2009, 9:20 AM
Dee,

You are truly an asset to this forum. I truly appreciate your willingness to help anyone with a problem, share your knowledge and talent, and your overall positive attitude. I always look forward to your posts and I always learn something new. Thank you for being you. :)

Dee Gallo
02-24-2009, 10:16 AM
Steve, I made the whole thing on CorelDraw, and I just drew the cursors and stuff freehand. I'm sure there is a way to copy them, with Grab or something, but it's easier for me to draw it straight off than to research weird ways to do stuff. I told you, I like to keep things simple. I think the whole thing took me under an hour to put together, most of that time was thinking about how much to include without making it too complex.

Belinda, thanks for the comment. I have always thought the same of you, looking forward to your posts and comments. This place is such a great atmosphere to share and learn it really encourages the best in all of us.

I really feel like I have some friends here, thanks, dee

Dave Johnson29
02-24-2009, 10:19 AM
I proofed the document and made a few changes and additions. Here's the newest version. Not much different, just more instructions for finishing the job.

Dee,

Thank you so much. I have been struggling with Trace for weeks. I keep going back to it hoping I would get it to work better but I never seemed to bump into the right method.

It has been bugging me as I hate to not understand something. I will devote my morning to your tutorial and practice.

Unlike Steve's statement, "You have no idea what I was doing before......"

*I* had no idea what I was doing before.... :D

Most generous of you to go to this effort.

Thank you.

Dee Gallo
02-24-2009, 10:52 AM
You're quite welcome, Dave, I hope you have good luck with it and it makes your life easier! Sometimes it's good to step away and see something from someone else's perspective and then it makes more sense.

cheers, dee

Lance Zimmerman
02-24-2009, 11:32 AM
Viewing this thread reminded me of a program I used with some success. It can be a subscription service or you can buy the program outright albeit somewhat expensive. You can see it at this web site http://vectormagic.com/home

George Brown
02-24-2009, 1:14 PM
I'm sure there is a way to copy them, with Grab or something, but it's easier for me to draw it straight off than to research weird ways to do stuff.

Have what you want to show on the screen and press the "Print Screen" button, it may be abbreviated "Prt Scr" on the keyboard, it is a shift key combination. That puts it onto the clipboard, then just paste it into any application you want, word, corel, etc.

James Jaragosky
02-24-2009, 1:53 PM
Viewing this thread reminded me of a program I used with some success. It can be a subscription service or you can buy the program outright albeit somewhat expensive. You can see it at this web site http://vectormagic.com/home
Lance: Although vectormagic is a awesome product; There just some projects that must be done by hand.
Vector magic has been extensively discussed here in previous threads.

Scott Shepherd
02-24-2009, 3:41 PM
You guys may want to considering those Advanced Artist DVD's. They cover all of this plus loads more.

jack Halley
02-24-2009, 3:51 PM
You guys may want to considering those Advanced Artist DVD's. They cover all of this plus loads more.

Scott I just received my copy and I agree it's got a lot in it.
It has an in depth tutorial on vector tracing.
A great resource!

Scott Shepherd
02-24-2009, 4:00 PM
His tracing of the plumbing logo is just insane. That lesson is outstanding.

jack Halley
02-24-2009, 4:07 PM
Thats the one I'm following now!

John W. Love
02-26-2009, 9:28 PM
Thanks Dee, that is just awesome that you did this. I know I don't give you and Belinda enough credit, but y'all are my two favorite gals on here and I learn tons from both of ya. ;)

~John

Belinda Barfield
02-27-2009, 8:01 AM
Thanks John. I don't feel like I really contribute much at all. Dee, on the otherhand, is a treasure trove of info!

Hey, Mrs. John (Alicia) needs to join us. We need some more galpals on here!

Dee Gallo
02-27-2009, 8:15 AM
Thanks John. I don't feel like I really contribute much at all. Dee, on the otherhand, is a treasure trove of info!

Hey, Mrs. John (Alicia) needs to join us. We need some more galpals on here!

Aw gee, Belinda, you're too modest. I think most of us get as much as we take from this forum, for the most part.

And John, some of the questions you've raised have been very interesting and inspirational in starting me thinking in different directions. Sometimes the help is not in the answer, but in the question. You are more than welcome to my tutorial, I hope to hear that someone found it useful!

cheers, dee

Jacob Hebert
02-27-2009, 10:44 AM
This inspires me, Dee! I'm tempted to do a tutorial on how I do traces now. :D

Steve Clarkson
02-27-2009, 1:00 PM
Cool....I love seeing how other people do things.

Steven Wallace
02-27-2009, 1:10 PM
Dee, Thanks so much for taking the time to share and help other creekers out. I know there is usually a software package or website to help out but nothing is as good as having a person share their real life procedures. I tried your suggested method and got great results. I try and share from time to time but just don't have the experience as some of you guys (even though I am as old or older than most). I, for one, really appreciate all of you that have tried to make mine and other's engraving journey a much smoother one.

Dee Gallo
02-27-2009, 4:01 PM
Dee, Thanks so much for taking the time to share and help other creekers out. I know there is usually a software package or website to help out but nothing is as good as having a person share their real life procedures. I tried your suggested method and got great results. I try and share from time to time but just don't have the experience as some of you guys (even though I am as old or older than most). I, for one, really appreciate all of you that have tried to make mine and other's engraving journey a much smoother one.

Steven, I'm so happy you got good results - you never know if your thing will work for someone else.

Jacob, we all look forward to seeing your tutorial. The more the merrier when it comes to techniques! Mine was simple simple for beginners, maybe you'd like to take it to the next level.

cheers, dee

Dave Johnson29
03-05-2009, 8:25 PM
I just threw together a simple small tutorial for anyone who wants to try my tracing technique. Dee,

Had to say another big thanks for this tutorial.

I had a logo to vector and all I got from the customer was a really bad 5 color BMP. I ran it through Corel Trace and finished up with a fairly good trace but 3,643 elements!!!

I decided to get serious with your method and in less than 20 minutes I had recreated it with 406 elements.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Dee Gallo
03-05-2009, 8:55 PM
Good going Dave! I'll bet yours engraved faster and cleaner than the autotrace, too. It only gets easier.

Congrats, dee

Dave Johnson29
03-06-2009, 10:19 AM
Good going Dave! I'll bet yours engraved faster and cleaner than the autotrace, too.

Hi Dee,

You got that right. I did a test burn of the autotrace and that's what got me using your method, quickly. :)

After 5 minutes it was about 1/4 done. With your method, it took just over a minute. I have a question but will start a new thread for it.

Thanks again.

Richard Rumancik
03-06-2009, 11:23 AM
Dee's tutorial is great; here's another one that may be helpful to some people when trying to recreate text for a logo that uses an unusual font or a distorted font.

http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/coreldraw/l/bltracelogo.htm

Chuck Burke
03-10-2009, 3:33 AM
Thanks for sharing that Dee.....It has been a long while since I have been on the forum.......what a great way to come back.

Thanks again.

Francis Kisner
03-10-2009, 8:44 AM
Dee,

I'm living in the ancient past using v.7. I've tried a few times and can't get your file to display anything but a blank page. Any possibility you might have a copy of the instructions in a different format? I've noticed that most of the features of the later versions are in v.7 in some way so I can usually find a work-around from instructions for modern programs.

Thanks,
Francis

Dee Gallo
03-10-2009, 9:32 AM
Dee,

I'm living in the ancient past using v.7. I've tried a few times and can't get your file to display anything but a blank page. Any possibility you might have a copy of the instructions in a different format? I've noticed that most of the features of the later versions are in v.7 in some way so I can usually find a work-around from instructions for modern programs.

Thanks,
Francis

Here it is in v7 - hope you can open it!

cheers, dee

Francis Kisner
03-10-2009, 5:12 PM
Dee,
I'm living in the past and using v.7. Usually I can find methods in v.7 to accomplish the same techniques available in later versions. When I try to open your attached file, all I get is a blank page.
Is there some other procedure I should be doing other than downloading? I have tried using both Firefox and Internet Explorer with the same result.
Is the document you created available in any other format?

Thanks,
Francis

Mike Null
03-10-2009, 6:26 PM
Francis

Have you tried saving the file to your download folder (or other folder) then opening it with Corel?

Welcome to Sawmill Creek by the way.

Dee Gallo
03-10-2009, 6:48 PM
Francis,

I have found I have to click on "save as", not "save" or I can't open any documents either. I don't change the name of the document either until after it's on my desktop, as I've lost a few that way.

cheers, dee

Francis Kisner
03-12-2009, 7:35 AM
Dee,
The v.7 file opened easily. Thanks for your help.

Francis