PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening a cabinet scraper (not a card scraper)

Kevin Blunt
02-23-2009, 7:54 PM
Hello,

I recently purchased a Veritas cabinet scraper and used it for the first time on my headboard project. Wow! Does it ever work great for removing glue lines and such.

My question is this, How far do you folks take it when it comes to sharpening you cabinet scraper blade. I would think that taking up into the 8000x waterstones and fully honing it would be a waste of time. I am thinking of refreshing the factory edge on my 1000x WS and that's it. Is there any need to put a hook on it, a microbevel on it?

Thanks for your help.

Kevin

Gary Herrmann
02-23-2009, 9:45 PM
They typically do have hooks (about 15 degrees). I'm sure there are people that could tell the difference between 8000 grit and 1000 grit performance, but I'm not one of them. IMHO, you're fine.

Chris Jackson
02-25-2009, 4:59 AM
I us an old Stanley No. 80 scraper, and usually bring the edge and back down from an 800 waterstone to a 1000x stone, then a put about a 5 degree hook (this is an estimate, I do it by eye) with a burnisher made from some weldable steel rod and a file handle...this approach has worked well for a number of years and I find that I can get through surfacing several hard maple panel glue ups before I need to address the edge again...hope this helps.