PDA

View Full Version : Discussion about wood use in casework...

Rick Cicciarelli
02-23-2009, 4:14 PM
So I consider myself a beginner in the grand scheme of things with woodworking. I've done a number of projects for my home, i.e. full wall bookcase, hanging shelves, banister, etc. I'd like to take it to the next level and begin some work in some nicer furniture quality projects. I have a particular style that interests me and I've been doing some research on the types of wood being used. Up to this point my medium has consisted of pine and cabinet grade plywood. Many of the old pieces I've been researching are made up of a number of different woods and I am curious why and how this is accomplished. For example...a high boy made by Christopher Townsend that I am looking at in a book is made up of walnut, mahogany, chestnut, white pine and poplar. I know in many cases the insides, drawers, back are made up of pine or some other less expensive wood. I am curious why so many other types would have been used for a single piece of furniture? Are certain woods better for glue blocks, drawer runners, or whatever??

Chris Padilla
02-23-2009, 6:34 PM
Often, the old timers built furniture with the wood that was readily available and easy to get and perhaps even cheap. Location may have a lot to do with what woods were chosen for their projects.

Josiah Bartlett
02-23-2009, 7:58 PM
I think most fine furniture pieces are made up of two woods, the primary expensive wood and the secondary wood used for structure or dimensional stability. Multiple primary woods can be used where contrast is desired, but it takes experience with stain/finish and aesthetics to get something that doesn't look overly busy. You could make an entire piece out of the primary wood, but the reason woods like poplar and pine are used as secondary woods is that they are easy to machine and inexpensive. Primary wood is usually expensive and/or rare, so you conserve the primary woods for use where it enhances the beauty of the piece.

glenn bradley
02-23-2009, 9:37 PM
Primary and secondary woods as mentioned by Josiah and probably regional influence as well like Chris noted. To your question "Are certain woods better for glue blocks, drawer runners, or whatever??". Glue blocks could probably be any decent secondary wood. I like maple for drawer runners. Dust panels and other non-show parts could be any good secondary wood; maple, alder, birch, poplar or whatever is (relatively) inexpensive in your area.