PDA

View Full Version : Ridgid Band Saw

Chuck Schultz
02-23-2009, 4:13 PM
Anybody own the Ridgid Band Saw 14002? I've been looking for a 14" band saw, and this one has come available in good condition for $250. I've read several reviews, a majority of them lean towards the negative.

Would you buy this particular saw for this price or hold out for something better?

Dave Sweeney
02-23-2009, 4:35 PM
Even if the price was $150, hold out for something better.

Angus Hines
02-23-2009, 4:55 PM
Where you at Chuck I've got one I'll give you

Chuck Schultz
02-23-2009, 10:07 PM
Hey Angus, I'm in the frozen tundra Minneapolis, MN.

Seems as though my initial thoughts on the saw are true...

Tony Bilello
02-23-2009, 10:41 PM
It's not as good as my old Delta, but it works for me. Actually it performs better than I expected. I dont use it all that often but when I do, it does the trick. I cut curved legs for tables, usually around 1 3/4" to 2 1/2" thick and usually red oak, purple heart and padouk. I also use it for much thicker stock when making bowl blanks.
I dont make bandsaw boxes but from some of the tight curves I made, I'm sure it will be OK.
For $250 you can always upgrade and keep as a spare. I would however talk him down to about $200 since you will probably need a new blade. Good blades cost around $20 to $30 dollars.
Just get good blades for it.

Lance Norris
02-23-2009, 11:34 PM
I have one, and after some tuning, its a fine saw. My biggest problem was the tires. After installing urethane tires and balancing the wheels, its as smooth as silk. Ridgid has a forum with lots of info on this saw and all the fixes. Remember, its a clone of the original Delta 14" saw, so all the aftermarket stuff fits it. There is no magic in making a bandsaw perform the way you want it to, but it does seem that the Ridgid bandsaw needs a little more fine tuning than the other Delta style saws. But it also is the cheapest of the clones, so its a good example of "you get what you pay for". Ive had this saw for several years now and have used it quite a bit, and have never had any trouble, after the initial "tuning".

Perry Underwood
02-23-2009, 11:55 PM
You might be interested in this review. It includes the Ridgid band saw, although not the 14002 model but the 1400 instead.

http://www.woodnet.net/plansnow/review-bandsaw.pdf

ROY DICK
02-24-2009, 8:27 AM
Chuck,
I have had one for several years. Tune it up, use the proper blade for the project you are doing. I have not tried resawing anything as yet, so I can not say if it is good or bad.
The dust collection is pretty fair. Just remeber to turn on the shop vac. Someone told me this, but I forgot who it was.:rolleyes:
Becareful.

Roy

Brett Robson
02-24-2009, 8:33 AM
I too own this saw. I agree that if you're willing to tinker with it to balance the wheels, stiffen up the stand and replace the tires, it's a solid saw. Read the review in Wood magazine a couple months back--they rated the saw well in most catagories although the wheel vibration was the one issue the testers continued to ding the saw for.

I use mine all the time, mostly for resawing. I have a riser block on it from Grizzly, Cool Blocks and a Jet fence. It was a tad underpowered when resawing when I had it on 110v, but I've since converted it to 220v, which has helped tremendously. On my last project, I resawed several 8" wide boards of Jatoba, which is hard as nails. The saw performed well, although I had to feed it slowly.

While there certainly are better saws available, for the price, the RIDGID is a solid tool that has always performed well for me.

lowell holmes
02-24-2009, 8:57 AM
Michael Fortune has one in his shop that he tuned up as does quite well with it. The saw has similarities to my Jet. I am completely satisfied with rhe Jet.

Tony Bilello
02-24-2009, 9:07 AM
I bought mine several months ago because I needed a bandsaw in a hurry.
I dont know where the writers came up with a noise issue. Mine does not make excesive noise.
Out of the box it will perform terribly. READ THE INSTRUCTIONS. Assembly make about 2 hours if you follow the instructions carefully but it will make a difference.
I removed all vibration from the wheels. I dont remember if I read about wheel balance by drilling a small hole to remove weight, in the instruction manuel or somewhere else but 2 small holes solved my vibration problems.
I am old enough to have enough experience to know that reviews are not always an accurate reflection of a product.
The rigid has lower HP than some of the other models and is not as well built, but it is about 1/3 less in cost. If you are going to use your bandsaw a lot - buy Delta or Powermatic. If only on rare occasions, buy the Rigid.

BTW, I am not a big fan of Rigid. I thought I might just throw that in.

Joe Von Kaenel
02-24-2009, 12:27 PM
Chuck,

My wife purchased one for me Christmas 2008. Mine runs well right out of the box. The only frustration I had was getting accessories. Lance who previously posted a reply helped me with that issue. I added a Grizzly Extension block Kit and miter Gauge. I purchased a Kreg Precision Band Saw Fence - #KMS7200 (http://www.kregtool.com/products/prs/product.php?PRODUCT_ID=38) for $105 because the $72 Ridgid fence was not available, it has been on backorder since Nov. 2008. The Kreg fence is far superior in quality and function. It is a nice band saw for a small size shop. Not made for a lot of resawing. Hope this helps.

Joe

mike holden
02-24-2009, 4:41 PM
Chuck,
Sounds like a fair price. If you can get a riser block, all the better.
I have one and with a timberwolf resaw blade cuts curly maple just fine.

I have no regrets buying mine (used).
Mike

cushing jim randall
02-24-2009, 6:10 PM
I bought a used one about a month ago. it came with a riser block and aftermarket rip fence. I just received 4 timberwolf blades for it yesterday. Mine is the all gray on made by emerson and it works great.

Loren Hedahl
02-24-2009, 6:47 PM
My neighbor bought one new when HD first opened here. He used it in a home shop woodworking business for several years until he became ill and unable to continue.

He sold it along with some other items to another neighbor who had just retired. That neighbor used it to make whirly gigs that he sold. I would guess he made thousands over several years. The Ridgid saw did great for him.

Mike Gager
02-24-2009, 8:50 PM
i have a 1400 and i have no complaints with it. im not sure what the difference between the 1400 and 14002 are though

Noah Levy
02-24-2009, 9:57 PM
I've had a couple pass through my hands. I'd hold out for an older (1990's vintage or earlier) Delta 14". THe Ridgids I had were really rough in terms of getting the guides aligned. Move the upper guide post a few inches in one direction or the other and you pretty much had to redo the whole set up. Lot's of vibrations too.

Chris Bruno
02-24-2009, 11:25 PM
I have one, and though mine has a few upgrades, I quite like it. I did upgrade to urethane tires and bought a couple of nice blades for it.

When I bought mine, the PO had already installed the Rigid fence, ceramic cool blocks and the rigid caster system. I'm not fond of the ceramic cool blocks, but the Rigid fence is -OK-, and I really like the caster system setup.

I had an extra Grizzly nearly new 1.5HP motor from a TS that I put on it, and though I don't think its required, it was a nice upgrade. When I installed that I used the link belt.

If you upgrade to urethane tires, a link-style belt and a good blade, I believe you'll be quite happy with the saw, and you'll still have spent well less than what some of the 'higher end' models cost.

Good luck!
-Chris

Douglas Brummett
02-25-2009, 11:24 AM
Anybody own the Ridgid Band Saw 14002? I've been looking for a 14" band saw, and this one has come available in good condition for $250. I've read several reviews, a majority of them lean towards the negative.

Would you buy this particular saw for this price or hold out for something better?

Here is a cut and paste of my thoughts on the saw. I posted this about 6mo back.

I have spent a bit of time wrestling with the Rigid bandsaw that I picked up. I have gone back and forth on the value vs. something from Grizzly. At this point the grizzly G0555 with shipping (just shy of $500) would have been about the same out of pocket. Overall the Rigid won out because of warranty and immediate availability. I also had a Lowe’s coupon that HD honored.
Okay, onto the setup. I knew out of the box that there could be some issue with vibration. Assembly was pretty straight forward. I got the saw up to the point that I could fire it up. Yep, pretty bad vibration. The whole frame chassis was flexing allowing the motor and saw to oscillate on it. The belt was the first suspect in the anti-vabration hunt. So I made a couple of calls and located a Gates v-belt.
Once installed the majority of the vibration was removed, but there was still the issue of flex in the stand allowing the motor and saw to pull towards each other. I had some scrap mdf laying around, so I quickly made a sub base and placed this between the stand and the motor/saw. I remounted everything. It did require some longer screws on the saw. I used the same motor screws, but removed the rubber band-aid bumpers they spec’d. I crossed my fingers and fired it up. Bingo, vibration gone. I ended up having to find a few longer screws to mount the belt shroud, but fortunately I had those on hand.
Everything went smooth from there. I got the table mounted and adjusted and finished adjusting the guides. Nothing major. So I was onto some sample cuts. Gotta say, the stock blade is garbage. Very rough cut, major drift, and too wide to do much curve work. I really don’t know what this blade’s purpose it. I will hang onto it for odd jobs, but only so I don’t damage my nicer blades.
Tonight my Kreg fence, cool blocks, and Olson blades came in. I installed each in turn. Wow, great improvements on all fronts. Kreg fence is a quality piece of equipment. Good instructions and straight forward install and adjustments. The cool blocks also bolted right on, reduced noise and most likely heat. The Olson brand blades seem good quality. Cut is much smoother and drift is only 1-2 degrees. I also noticed quieter running of the saw during cuts.
In the end I can’t say that these upgrades wouldn’t be necessary on the comparable Grizzly. For the Rigid these simply changes and additions make the difference between a saw that I would complain about and a saw that I would be happy to brag about.
short video review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr4oUluudKI

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr4oUluudKI)
Since then I have done several projects, some resawing of lumber, and little if any maintenance. It is a decent saw at a good price. I liked the fact that I could go down to the store and pick it up in person, on the spot. The Kreg fence is a very nice addition. At $250 it isn't that great of a deal if it is stock and ill-cared for. If it is well cared for and has extras like blades and a fence that is a good price. You gotta make that call though. Honestly I don't think any of the saws in the sub $500 range stand out as much better than the rest. If I had it to do over I would likely save up and get the Rikon 14in. It has more power and more capacity.

Chuck Schultz
02-26-2009, 10:17 PM
Thanks for all the info guys. Unfortunately, I lost the band saw to some other buyer, but I think I'll stick with the Ridgid Band Saw. It's relatively cheap, and it seems that with some tooling, it can be a really good saw.

Lance Norris
02-27-2009, 10:04 AM
Chuck... just a final post about this saw. I bought mine because I wanted a second bandsaw so I could keep one dedicated to resaw and one for curves. I had just bought a Grizzly G0457 and it is designed for resawing. I got tired of switching blades back and forth from large to small. Having a second saw, for my work, was a great option. I didnt want to spend a lot of money on a second saw, so the Ridgid seemed like a good idea. It was rough out of the box, but doesnt take a lot of expensive fixes to make it great. Like I posted above, Urethane tires and wheel balancing and a link belt will make all the difference in the world. There are other tricks if you still have vibration issues like stiffing the stand. I did this to mine by adding a plywood shelf where the cross braces are on the lower legs. This stiffened the stand and gave me some storage space for stuff. I have since added a mobile base, riser block, Carter Quick Tension Release, 4" dust port, Kreg fence and a Carter Bandsaw Stabilizer. There isnt anything about the way the saw is built thats says "cheap". Its in the same quality range as any of the current 14" bandsaws(Delta included). I think Ridgid has made a mistake by not taking the time to balance the wheels, because vibration is the biggest complaint about this saw. If you are not afraid to tinker a bit with this bandsaw, It will make a fine addition to your shop. Again, go to the Ridgid forum and read my posts and the others as well, and you will get a great tool for not a lot of cash. Get ahold of Louis Ittura and ask for his free bandsaw catalog. There are lots a high quality replacement parts should you ever have an issue with your bandsaw, as well as a lot of other info about bandsaws. 1-888-722-7078