PDA

View Full Version : Stanley 750ish chisels

Bill Houghton
02-23-2009, 2:58 PM
Are the Stanley 750 chisels all marked "750" on them? If I've got a 750ish socket type chisel marked "Stanley" on the socket, or "Stanley made in USA," is this something other than a 750?

Jim Koepke
02-23-2009, 3:59 PM
If it does not say 750 on it, most collectors and/or users would be a little upset buying them on eBay.

I think some of the 750s were not marked with any identifying marks other than Stanley. Does your chisel have the dark red handle? It looks like there was a 1750 series of chisels also. Stanley made so many chisels that looked pretty much alike in its attempt to capture all the areas of the market. The 750s are listed as 9-1/2 to 10-1/4 inches.

One of my Stanley chisels is clearly a 450 series from the knurling on the socket. It is marked Stanley in two places and also is marked Pat apply'd.

I have not seen another like it on the auction sites, but it is a very good tool.

My first thought, no mater what a trade mark says, is it a good user?

I have one 750 and it is a good chisel, but my Buck Brothers of the same size is used more, then the Karpenter (winsted tools) is next in line for the size.

jim

Alan DuBoff
02-23-2009, 5:15 PM
AFAIK, the chisels are the same. Some of mine do not have the 750 designation on them.

However, there is collector value in the stamp, and as Jim mentioned, if you sell one as a 750 make sure you note it as some folks will be upset.

I suspect the non-marked chisels were sold by another vendor, such as Sears or similar.