PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Accomplishments.........

Dennis Peacock
07-12-2004, 8:59 AM
Well, another weekend has come and gone.

I managed to get a little shop time in doing a little spinny work as well as some flat work. The rest of the time was spent with family, church and talking with Terry Hatfield on the phone. It's great having friends, even when they are 3 hours away!!!!

So what did you do this weekend?

I go oncall in 3 minutes and I am already having bad vibes about it.....

Best of weeks to you all.....

John Miliunas
07-12-2004, 9:35 AM
Nothing earth-shattering Fri. evening, outside of trying out the new pinner and digital camera. Both work GREAT! On the down side, LOML took my dog to the vet early Fri., 'cuz she wasn't eating, drinking or even moving a whole lot, plus throwing up whatever little was left in her system. Vet sent her back home after x-rays, IV fluids and some anitibiotics, suspecting some type of abdominal infection. Sat., we went to the fart...errrrrr art fair in Madison. In a word: BIG! LOML got a small piece of glassware and I bought my daughter a rather expensive print (numbered, etc...). It's some type of Oriental dragon, which is supposed to represent metal for strength. She fell in love with it on first sight and Dad's just an old softie. After the fair, it was grass mowing, loading/dumping mulch, etc... A buddy stopped over with a couple boards of Cedar for me to make up new racks for his outdoor grill. My dog (Mitsy) was actually drinking on her own and up and around a bit. Sunday, my pup was doing worse. LOML and daughter took her into the animal emergency hospital. She's still there, though they now suspect either, a real bad kidney infection or it's just failing. Prognosis doesn't look good, as they're leaning toward the latter. Managed to finish up my buddy's boards and milled up lumber and made a frame for my daughter's new picture. First time I've ever worked with Lacewood. I like it! It's just a frame, so probably not very picture-worthy. Have a great week, all! Dennis, try to make the best of your on-call duty. :cool:

Bob Hovde
07-12-2004, 9:48 AM
John,

Sorry to hear about your dog. I guess it's tough to figure out what's wrong with a patient that doesn't talk.

Bob

John Miliunas
07-12-2004, 10:08 AM
John,

Sorry to hear about your dog. I guess it's tough to figure out what's wrong with a patient that doesn't talk.

Bob

Thanks Bob. Yeah, a bit tough. Thursday she was running and jumping as usual. Not 12 hours later.... Then, anytime I went into the room where she normally beds down, she'd look up at me and *still* be waggin' her tail....The quintessential devotion, no matter what!

Dave Anderson NH
07-12-2004, 10:18 AM
This past weekend was the Martin Donelly Live Free or Die antique tool auction in Hillsboro NH on Friday and Saturday. On Friday, as usual, Roger Myers and I sat together and razzed each other though we were careful not to bid against each other for tools even though we occasionall had marked the same items as "interesting". Prices were abnormally high due to a large number of absentee bids. I ended up only with one lot of Bridge City tools, a joint makers square and a double square.

Saturday I donned my Chester Toolworks hat (figuratively) and set up a 10' x10' canopy and a table to sell my wares. Sales were small for the day, but the conversations with knowledgeable tool folks were great and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. With warm but not hot weather, sunny skies, a nice breeze, and a glass of wine after Noon, it was nice. Mid afternoon I packed things up and headed home. Oh yeah, I sold more than I spent, but not by any huge amount.

Sunday I installed a replacement motor in Delta 9" disc/ 6" x48" belt combo sander. The motor had started sparking and shorting out 3 weeks before. If any of you do any metal work on your Delta sander, be forewarned- the motor is not a TEFC and sooner or later it will die on you. The equivalent Jet would be a better choice since the motor is TEFC. Live and learn I guesss.

Phil Phelps
07-12-2004, 10:59 AM
..survival is enough :rolleyes:

Scott Coffelt
07-12-2004, 11:01 AM
Friday Night I took my son down to mom and dad's to spend the night. Had a nice evening. Saturday got to play in a 3-man golf tourney with my brother and dad. We didn't play very well, but still had fun.

Sunday I watched the races, removed and replaced 39 hinges on our interior doors. Gone with a brushed steel look, really dressed things up. Washed the truck and mowed the yard.

Nothing too much.

Tyler Howell
07-12-2004, 11:02 AM
PM is all wired up. Got a good colan clensing while doing some power panel house keeping and getting ready for out of town gests.
Did a little grill work that amazed all the visiting guests. :D .
So I'd say this is about a #9 out of possible 10 weekend.

John Miliunas
07-12-2004, 11:07 AM
..survival is enough :rolleyes:

Hey Phil, how's that "new" house coming?! :cool:

Kevin Arceneaux
07-12-2004, 11:38 AM
Got the computer finished and all the drivers updated. It is a screamer.

Steve Clardy
07-12-2004, 11:53 AM
Got some wiring done in the new shop addition. Did lots of piddling as the temp. has risen here in Missouri. Hot and sticky. Also been down with a pinched nerve in my back. Walking around like an old stooped over grandpa. Yea, I'm a grandpa, but not that old. lol
Steve

David Wilson
07-12-2004, 12:30 PM
Got the grain mill project coated with exterior poly (used poly because it was free)
and reassembled. The poly makes it look like it is wet. Really makes the cedar look nice. Will post a final pic when i get it moved outside and working. It was hot and muggy and realised I need a bigger AC for the shop.

Dennis Peacock
07-12-2004, 1:13 PM
Got some wiring done in the new shop addition. Did lots of piddling as the temp. has risen here in Missouri. Hot and sticky. Also been down with a pinched nerve in my back. Walking around like an old stooped over grandpa. Yea, I'm a grandpa, but not that old. lol
Steve

Hey Steve,

Sorry to hear about your back, buddy....That's a tough one to have troubles with. Just remember:

You're not getting old....just your body is getting old.!!!! ;) :p

keith zimmerman
07-12-2004, 1:28 PM
I was able to successfully finish the sanding on an ash bowl I finish-turned a couple of weeks ago. The bowl had been drying for almost a year and turned out quite nice. It is about 10" in diameter, 3" deep, and has 3/8" walls. The finish is 6 coats of Minwax Tung Oil Finish, sanding between each coat. It is from a tree that succombed to carpenter ants and has an ant channel in the wall. I also worked on a natural edged walnut bowl that needs just a bit more sanding before it is ready to be called done.

Also processed several photographs from a recent trip to LA, watched some turning videos, and slept...a lot.

I considered this a decent weekend.

keithz

Rich Konopka
07-12-2004, 1:32 PM
Weekend what Weekend. Where did it go? :(

Went on Friday to East Beach in Rhode Island to the FIL's. Beautiful beach. Beautiful weather!!

Saturday, I went to a saw mill I had seen in the previous weeks travels and got some prices on some Pine I will be using for an upcoming shed project. Also, took a ride to a couple of antique stores. Finally, I had a nice drive to Litchfield and picked up some plans for a shed I'll be building from BetterBarns.com.

Sunday was spent clearing out a section in the back yard for where the shed is going. I sure wish I had one of those Kubota's:(

Be good !!

Matt Woodworth
07-12-2004, 3:43 PM
I have a great woodworking weekend. Friday was spent making progress on hand cut dovetails for the nightstands (http://www.just4fun.org/woodworking/projects/cherry_nightstand/index.htm) I've been working on. I'm still pretty new to hand cut dovetails. They came out pretty well but I still take about 15-20 minutes per joint. I also applied the first coat of finish on the doll bed I'm making for my daughter. (more on that later)

Saturday morning I went to a flea market with a fellow woodworker. I found a stanley 750 for $2 and a pair of woodturner's calipers for $3. I was happy with my finds. The rest of Saturday was spent with that same woodworker on the nightstands. I finished the dovtails that day and he sanded all the surfaces.

On Sunday I cut out the drawer bottoms and assembled/glued up the drawers on the nightstand. I also added the final coat of finish on the doll bed which leads me to a small project completion gloat. :)

(click on the image for construction details)
http://www.just4fun.org/images/woodworking/doll_bed/DCP_2443_small.JPG (http://www.just4fun.org/woodworking/projects/doll_bed/index.htm)
http://www.just4fun.org/woodworking/projects/doll_bed/index.htm

Jim Becker
07-12-2004, 6:32 PM
The weekend went too fast! No "woodworking" per se, but I did use tools--this was a weekend for home improvement work getting the walls reconstituted around the new bay window in the kitchen eating area. So it was electrical, insulation, drywall, taping, wainscot, trim...you know the rub. (And I hate doing drywall, but it had to get done) Hopefully at the end of the week, I can get the additional two coats of mud on the exposed areas so I can paint next week when I take some vacation time. I'll post pics of the window installation, etc., later in the week.

The DVD of the week was SpiderMan.

Jerry Olexa
07-12-2004, 11:02 PM
John Sorry to hear about your dog. I've been through that a few times and its difficult!! I think one of toughest things in life is to lose your treasured pet esp if its a dog! I've already lost 3 over the past 20 years. Yout quote about your dog wagging its tail even though sick show its devotion! Somewhere I heard
"to every dog, his master is Napolean". Of course, you need a cat to provide balance. John hope all works out for you and your pet. They really are family members!! Sometimes even more important than our TOOLS!! Well, maybe...
Take care Jerry

Keith Starosta
07-13-2004, 8:07 AM
I was able to dig all ten footers for the new pool deck on Saturday. I went a lot quicker than I originally thought it would. My nextdoor neighbor came over about halfway through the job to help, plus the ground wasn't as solid as I thought it was going to be. I still wouldn't have been able to get a gas-powered auger through that clay, but I only had to use the pick-axe a couple of times ;) . Sunday was spent in the pool, pretty much all day. Nice end to a pretty good weekend.

Keith

Nathan Hoffman
07-13-2004, 8:28 AM
I did spend about an hour in the basement starting to organize what will be the woodshop, but no real woodworking this weekend. LOML and I, along with my brother, got another section of yard de-rocked, leveled, seeded, mulched, etc. We are doing the lawn oursleves since we ran out of money after building the house, and it is taking forever! If only there were a market for these rocks, I'd have enough to do some gloating around these parts.

Sunday afternoon I got to take my sweetie for a ride in my uncle's '57 Thunderbird with the top down! All in all, a great weekend.