PDA

View Full Version : "Sappy" wood help?

Kyle Iwamoto
02-23-2009, 2:03 PM
I was wondering if anyone here knows of a trick to keep the "sappy" wood sap off of your tools. I turned some earpod (monkeypod relative) and a Hong Kong Orchid yesterday, and noticed that a lot of sap built up on my tools, making it hard to cut. I scraped and honed quite a few times.

Now I have to clean the tools before I resharpen.... How do you get sap off? Other than scraping and WD-40.

TIA

Steve Schlumpf
02-23-2009, 3:16 PM
Kyle - on those few occasions that I have had to get rid of dried sap on tools, I have found white vinegar works quite well. Let the tool soak and you will be able to wipe the sap off. I do not know of anything that will prevent sap buildup in the first place. If you come across something - I am sure we would all like to know what it is!

Good luck!

charlie knighton
02-23-2009, 4:13 PM
try mineral spirts

Allen Neighbors
02-23-2009, 7:47 PM
Lacquer thinner also works.
There is a spray lubricant (can't remember the name, and I'm sitting with a sick wife at the moment, or I'd go to the shop and check) that has some teflon in it. You spray it on, let it dry, then wipe with a rag. It makes drill bits, and tool shafts almost repel sticky stuff.

Jarrod McGehee
02-23-2009, 11:37 PM
Orange oil probably would work.