PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis Peacock
02-23-2009, 9:27 AM
23 Feb 2009

Good Morning,
It is truly a good morning for me today as the LOML and the LOML Jr. have came back from Alabama and are back home now. They went to help take care of my mother who had knee replacement surgery 1 week ago today. It's a good thing they went because she said that the nurse staffing is very lacking now days (few workers and over-worked), so the LOML filled in as a nurse for my mom while in the hospital.

The kitchen table project is 99.99% finished as I just have to put the top on the table base and install the Z-fasteners. The table will be delivered today if the customer is at home. I'll make pics today and post them on next weeks weekend accomplishments.

The next project on my plate is to finish up the 2nd wine cabinet that I started about 1 year ago for a friend of mine and then on to making the LOML Jr her Hope Chest and a Blanket Chest. I already have people wanting some of my end-grain cutting boards, so I'll be on to making more of those.

That's it for me...so what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-23-2009, 9:50 AM
Up all night Friday night. Saturday drove to Spokane and finally after one canceled flight put granddaughter and great-granddaughter on an airlplace. After a short inexpensive shopping episode at Woodcraft, drove home and went to bed.

Sunday, turned one bottlestopper and had it stick to the mandrel. Ruined b/s using vicegrips to get it off the mandrel. Thanks to Creeker Martin Shupe, put a piece of mesquite crotchwood on the lathe and began turning my first winged bowl. It is about 98% finish turned. With those wings swinging by and my fingers flinching, I quit last night about 2145. If things go right, I'll take today off and finish it turning it today and get started on applying finish.

alex grams
02-23-2009, 10:28 AM
sitting on an oil rig in the gulf, playing with sketchup models of a bathroom remodel.

bleh...

Joe Jensen
02-23-2009, 10:39 AM
Entry door work this weekend. My wife wanted a dog door in the french door to the back yard. I was able to remove two panels of glass, move a mullon up, and fit the door into the new larger opening. (I hate this, but SWMBO insisted and she puts no constraints on my tool habit so what can you do).

Second, I sanded down the red oak front door and re-varnished it. The weather was perfect, 78 degrees and calm. :cool:

Jim O'Dell
02-23-2009, 10:53 AM
Both mornings started off pretty chilly, but sunny. Warmed to the 50s pretty quick. Sat took down all the electric fencing and re-did the stanchions. Re-wired the fence top and bottom and got it hooked up Sunday am. New rescue came Sunday afternoon and is reported to tear up fences to get out. Unfortunatly, it's not working, so now I have to trouble shoot the problem.
Sunday afternoon I finished felling the Pear tree that LOML wanted gone. I limbed it up about 20 feet last weekend. Double trunk, one side that grew toward the power line feeding the shop. Tied a pull rope on the tree to the riding lawn mower to pull it the direction I wanted. Went off without a hitch. Got it all the trunk parts cut up, but not stacked. I saved about a 4 foot section that included the crotch, not that I think it will be useable, but the ends are painted so I can play with it later.
Now I'm sore!! And it's busy on the drive this morning. :eek: Guess that will help work out the kinks!! :D
Have a great week everyone! Jim.

BOB OLINGER
02-23-2009, 11:06 AM
Saturday am and early pm went to a USDA food safety meeting in Des Moines. Stopped by Acme Tools and Woodsmith Store to check out a few things including jointers. I've been looking for a jointer, comparing new and used. A fellow creeker mentioned Woodsmith had the 6" Steel City long bed with built in mobile base on sale. I wouldn't have thought they'd be competitive, but low and behold, it was marked down from over $800 to $499. The salesman said Steel City was closing them out and coming out with a new model or changes. They'd sold dozens and only about 2 left. Having some left over Christmas gift money, I am now the proud owner of a good jointer - never had a good one in over 30 yrs. woodworking. Then on Sun we drove to Lawrence, KS for the IA State vs KS womens basketball game. The outcome wasn't as planned, but more games left. Everyone take care.

george wilson
02-23-2009, 11:21 AM
Why does everyone have to be a SMITH? Does Woodsmith beat out their wooden projects with a HAMMER? Wonder if the Bikesmith also beats on bikes with a hammer?

Michael Schumacher
02-23-2009, 11:35 AM
My weekend was a good one...

Friday night my wife had a Bunco party, so about a dozen women were coming over. Since my son is only 14 months old and no way to keep him in the shop, we went shopping for 2 hours. The party wasn't over, but came home and put him to bed, went to the shop and worked on the planter box and got a lot accomplished in the short amount of time I had.

Saturday I went to a wood/craft fair at Fort Calhoun, NE - wasn't quite what I was hoping for, but it was alright. Went to Midwest Woodworks to look around...went to a pawn shop to look at price for Stereo's since it would be nice to have one in the shop instead of the TV. In the afternoon I worked some more in the shop - started working on the router and turns out my son doesn't like it either, just like the planer. Cleaned shop after that since I was at a point that was all I could do, but the shop needed cleaning. After cleaning, I went ahead and did the routing - still bothered him, but he needed to be up anyway.

Sunday afternoon after the in-laws went home, I was able to sand all the pieces of the planter box and glued up two sides. They look really good. I'm hoping that with some time this week I'll be able to get really close to being done with it this week or this weekend. No high hopes there though since I need to do some routing and that bothers my son...maybe it's time to get him introduced to the concept...

Michael

Scott Wigginton
02-23-2009, 11:49 AM
Still working on my workshop.

Tore out molded drywall, hauled to landfill, replaced with OSB
Removed 16 boxes of LOML's stuff from shop, had her go through it (keepers only filled 4 boxes), stored those elsewhere
Installed another flourescent light fixture (3 more to go)
Trenched to carport/playground for future outdoor circuit
Completed half of 8/3 underground splice for new 40Amp subpanel (then it poured)
Made first draft for matching girls beds
A lot of work left, but some progress > none. Next big accopmlishment will be relocating my TS, install my new Shark Guard, Leecraft ZCI, and 50" Biesey Rails.

Matt Woessner
02-23-2009, 12:20 PM
A rough weekend to say the least. My nine month old daughter has not been feeling well (cutting teeth) and has had a cold as well. She did not sleep much at all during the night, and did not want to take any naps either. So a little bit trying, but we all made it through. I did find a little time to finish the assembly of my new table saw, and work out the details for the next project. Looking forward to a busy, but good week. Everyone be safe.

Rob Cunningham
02-23-2009, 12:21 PM
I enjoyed the 2 day wood turning class at PFW. Mario is a great teacher and had lots of good information to pass on. Now I just have to remember everything and find time to practice on the lathe.

Jerome Hanby
02-23-2009, 12:27 PM
Worked more on my daughters Maryville bed and book case. Just need to finish up with the drawers and do some touch-up painting and this beast will finally be done. Don't think I've ever been so tired of yellow flour (MDF dust) and the color pink:D.

Matt Meiser
02-23-2009, 8:30 PM
It snowed all day Saturday and I managed to spend the entire day in the shop. First, I finished up two mirrors, one for my daughter's bathroom and one for her bedroom that match previous projects. I also made a new sacrificial fence and a cut off fence that use some clamps from Rockler. I've been using the clamps with my router fence and have always been planning to build these. Both are exactly 1" thick to make it easier to set the fence. I also finally started on the restoration of my Parks planer by getting it torn down. Everything appears to be in great shape.

John Sanford
02-23-2009, 11:02 PM
Why does everyone have to be a SMITH? Does Woodsmith beat out their wooden projects with a HAMMER? Wonder if the Bikesmith also beats on bikes with a hammer?

Almost! Trust me, the BFH almost came out this weekend while working on the bike. It was electrical work, so you can imagine how things were going if the BFH was in the wings.... :eek:

Got the lathe stand finished up. Both the lathe and grinder have been mounted, picatures forthcoming.

Kent E. Matthew
02-23-2009, 11:57 PM
I fabricated a seven foot long straight railing (iron) for my sister-in-law. Painted it. While I had the welder going I put together my lumber rack. Painted it, and installed it. Finished my mobile base for my jointer. Painted that and dropped it right in.

Dewey Torres
02-24-2009, 12:37 AM
Well almost. I had hoped to post the finished product but this one was a quite a challenge ( not the work but getting it set) so will be next week:(.

Dennis,
I feel like I owe you on this one so you may have a sneak peek if you want.

Kevin Arceneaux
02-24-2009, 8:08 AM
This is actually the last few weekends, I usually get one box done each weekend.

LOML wanted to cover them with straw to keep the weeds down and the water in, so off we went. I tried to tell her that one would be enough, but no, had to have two. :)

Michael Schumacher
02-24-2009, 8:35 AM
This is actually the last few weekends, I usually get one box done each weekend.

Yep - I need to build some boxes for a garden this year...just need to find time to do it...

Michael

Al Willits
02-24-2009, 8:48 AM
Spent several hours getting the reel to reel up and runing only to find the appox 90 tapes I have are toast, just to many years gone by, lots of music lost there, but I figured the tapes wouldn't last the 30+ years...

Got a ton of music CD's burnt and see a bigger CD storage rack is in the future.

Got a bit of garage cleaned and started primering some of the kitchen cart.

Then spent 3.5 hours clearing the kitchen drain, O joy....:)

Al

Anthony Whitesell
02-24-2009, 9:45 AM
I did that last spring...finally. I use railroad ties stacked three high and staked from the outside to hold it together, plus a fence to keep out the varmits. Then the little one got big enough to be mobile and the LOML now wants a swing set. The perfect spot would be where I put the garden, of course. Last fall I built a "shed" evict some stuff from the basement to make room for more WW tools. I made a level spot large enough to move the garden. The garden is almost 8'x8' and 18" deep. ie., 4.5 cubic yards of loam and compost to move (roughly 13 garden tractor trailer fulls) to its new location this spring. Yippee. :o

Jim Becker
02-24-2009, 8:58 PM
No woodworking this past weekend...it turned out to be pretty much an all-equestrian weekend with lessons on Saturday (and some other running around) and a show on Sunday that Nastia and I rode in. I also stayed all day and shot about 487 pictures...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/a-j-adopt/j-02-21-09-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/a-j-adopt/j-02-21-09-2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/a-j-adopt/j-02-21-09-3.jpg

Ooh...and my best side...LOL

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/a-j-adopt/j-02-21-09-4.jpg

Nastia...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/a-j-adopt/n-02-21-09-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/a-j-adopt/n-02-21-09-2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/a-j-adopt/n-02-21-09-3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/a-j-adopt/n-02-21-09-4.jpg

Tyler Howell
02-24-2009, 9:41 PM