PDA

View Full Version : Ok, bug experts...what is this little beauty?

Jim Becker
07-11-2004, 10:08 PM
So we're sitting on the deck enjoying the breeze and shooting the same and we hear this "plop" sound and catch some motion out of the corner of our eyes. What you see below is the culprit. This insect is about an inch and a half long an sports some very nice "fake eyes" on its back. It was pretty docile and I was able to "herd" it away from where I needed to stand to cook the steaks at the grill--it walked away briskly when prodded by my finger, but did not attempt to gain flight in fright. :p Anybody have an idea just what it is?

Todd Burch
07-11-2004, 10:56 PM
Jim it kinda looks like a click beetle (http://www.ent.iastate.edu/imagegal/coleoptera/click/3936.12clickbeetle.html) of some sort.

Todd

Rob Littleton
07-11-2004, 11:41 PM
You must have that camera planted by your side no matter what you are doing. :-D

You always get these shots that, if it were me, that thing would have been long gone before I even found the camera. Then the batteries, then forget to open the lens cover.........

Nice shot anyways

Jack Wood
07-12-2004, 12:05 AM
Click Beetle-Family Elateridae
SciName: Alaus oculatus Linnaeus
Common Name: Eyed Elater

When held or turned over on their back they snap their body that will propel them upward. This motion produces an audible "Click" hence the name:)

Chris Padilla
07-12-2004, 12:45 AM
I hear they love air-dried walnut and poplar.... :D

Jack Wood
07-12-2004, 7:30 AM
Well actually they don't like hardwoods. These beetles are mostly found in rotting wood and or plant matter. Some are know to be very injuriuos to agricultural plantings and will feed on the newly planted seeds and roots of row crops. They are not wood borers as such and for the most part pose no harm to hardwoods that are not decaying.:)

Martin Shupe
07-14-2004, 2:51 AM
Jack and Todd are correct....Click beetle.

There are many more elateridae than just this species, but the way to tell them is to hold them in your hand and see if they "click" and try to propel themselves up into the air in the process.

Kevin Beck
07-14-2004, 9:26 AM
Yep, a click beetle. I played with them as a kid in North Florida. Of course in Florida cracker terms thats a popping bug.

Kevin