PDA

View Full Version : Downdraft sanding table and vacuum clamp

Brad Ridgway
02-23-2009, 8:19 AM
I've been looking for justifications to make Joe's EVS system ... Don't currently have a lathe, but think i could use the vacuum clamping and eventually vacuum press.

I was thinking about flush mounting a 6x12 hdpe clamp in the center of the pegboard for this purpose?

Anyone done this or have a recommendation on the idea size of a clamp ?

-brad

Paul Johnstone
02-23-2009, 1:09 PM
I've been looking for justifications to make Joe's EVS system ... Don't currently have a lathe, but think i could use the vacuum clamping and eventually vacuum press.

I was thinking about flush mounting a 6x12 hdpe clamp in the center of the pegboard for this purpose?

Anyone done this or have a recommendation on the idea size of a clamp ?

-brad

I bought a system from Joe Woodworker awhile ago.

He has great instructions, although I would change one bit of advice. Silicone all the PVC stuff from the start, instead of just gluing it and siliconing later to repair leaks.

I will be honest, I have not used my system a lot. Part of the reason is that I still have a small leak, and I just have not been motivated to take the thing apart and redo it.

I bought his kit which allowed you to vacuum clamp a board to the table.
Frankly, I was kind of disappointed in it. Again, it is difficut to get a good seal unless both surfaces are perfect. I think you are much better off running a piece of T track down your bench and using Kreg Klamps to hold things down (Google it, since I'm not allowed to put a direct link in here.. but they are the clamps used with their table). I use the Kreg Klamps to hold things to the bench, and IMO, it's much easier than dragging out the vacuum pump, making sure the bench is dust free and fiddling around with the vacuum clamp.

So, this is a long winded way of saying that it is worthwhile to buy one of Joe's systems if you plan on using bags for vaccuum clamps.. Maybe his lathe vaccuum chuck is worthwhile (Have not tried it).