PDA

View Full Version : Bowl 5

Greg Ketell
02-23-2009, 1:23 AM
Still needing to learn better tool control, especially on the inside curves. And how to do the bottom without mucking it up. 5th bowl, 5th "redesign" due to the bottom getting whacked at the last minute.

Critiques and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

It is Koa about 6" diameter and 4-1/2" tall with mineral oil finish. Originally it was planned to be a Guacamole bowl for my wife and it was going to be on feet but I couldn't figure out how to cut the rim and leave the feet and my spouse says it is too deep for a Guac bowl. :(

Robert McGowen
02-23-2009, 1:43 AM
Tell your wife it is a bowl for a LOT of guacamole! :eek:

Without going into form and design, I would say that I try to make every turning so that when someone picks it up, maybe even another turner, they are not able to tell how the piece was held and turned. I would take as much time to finish off the bottom as I would any other part of the turning. Just my 2 cents. It is a nice little bowl though and I like the down sloped rim on it.

Dewey Torres
02-23-2009, 2:14 AM
Sheesh what leap from bowl # 4:eek:!!!!

Like the Virginia slims...

"You've come a long way baby!"

alex carey
02-23-2009, 3:38 AM
I like the lip a lot. Well done on the whole thing. You are definitely growing fast.

Gary Max
02-23-2009, 6:41 AM
Greg I would guess that you could flip it over on the lathe so the base is at the other end.
This will give you more room to work on it---a vac chuck comes in handy at this point.
But you there are other ways to do that also---just jam it between centers---pad the drive spur so you don't leave marks.
Hope that makes sense.

Jeff Nicol
02-23-2009, 7:05 AM
Greg, Very pretty wood and we all begin somewhere. You will figure it all out and get better each turning. There is so much to learn from this forum so stick with it and if you have too much of that koa laying around we all would like some!!HA HA!!

Great bowl and can't wait to see more,

Jeff

Steve Schlumpf
02-23-2009, 8:32 AM
Greg - sure is some pretty wood! Love the tight grain and rich color! As far as suggestions - just keep experimenting with different forms and you'll find one that you really like. This particular form (steep side walls) is very difficult to turn without getting some type of tear out at the bottom inside transition. Try turning a bowl with more of a gentle curve to the form. You will find it is easier to turn and pleasing to the eye!

Hey - it's all turning! Just have fun with it!

David Christopher
02-23-2009, 9:04 AM
Greg, I think your bowl looks nice..and it has beautiful color..good job

Paul Douglass
02-23-2009, 11:22 AM
Very nice job. Makes for a beautiful bowl.

Thomas Canfield
02-23-2009, 12:49 PM
Greg,

Koa is great wood. The mineral oil finish does not do it justice to let the rays come out. A lot of the turners I have seen on The Big Island seem to be using a mixture of 1 part polyurethane to 4 parts of danish oil wiped on for finish, and buffing with red diamond between coats, about 5. The red diamond seems to both fill the small pores and level out the finish. I have not done a piece of Koa with the finish yet, but plan to soon. I know that the finish produces a hard coat that will polish up well when going on with the white diamond and final coat of crystalline wax (not carnuba). I am too protective of my Koa stock and need to start using it.

Greg Ketell
02-23-2009, 1:13 PM
Once set is the Poly/Danish food safe?

GK