PDA

View Full Version : Inlay Bushing Help

Jonathan Spool
02-23-2009, 12:27 AM
I am brand new to inlays, and recently purchased a Whiteside inlay bushing set after seeing one used (probably Norm). I wanted to inlay a heart on a small box for my wife. During my practice]I was successful in cutting a recess, but unsuccesful in cutting the insert. I couldn't successfully follow the template without being able to see the bit or bushing, especially at the top of the heart where the two sides meet.
All these bushings screw into the hole of the router base, so you have to operate blind. Is this just another skill that needs to be acquired, or am I missing something?
Jonathan

Dewey Torres
02-23-2009, 1:17 AM
You should be able to do this operation blind folded. Trick is to keep pressure on the outside of the template at all times and double stick the inlay to something to keep it from getting chewed up when it separates.

Post pics please.

Bill Huber
02-23-2009, 1:38 AM
Give this link a try, I have a bushing set and I have not used it yet but I want to just have not made the right project yet.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/rotrinlays.html

Guy Germaine
02-23-2009, 6:49 AM
You should be able to do this operation blind folded. Trick is to keep pressure on the outside of the template at all times and double stick the inlay to something to keep it from getting chewed up when it separates.

Post pics please.

What he said! When I use mine, I try to look ahead of the router to get an idea of which way I have to turn next, but you learn to do it by feel in pretty short order.

Gary McKown
02-23-2009, 10:12 AM
Our WW club did some practice inlays with these kits a couple months ago. First, practicing with softer curves like circles or ovals will help you get the feel for it. #2, one cannot get very sharp corners on the inlay. Finally, the larger the router the more difficult it is. A trim router would work best, IMO.

We did a heart, but it had somewhat rounded points at top and bottom.

Lee Schierer
02-23-2009, 12:39 PM
Having cut several inlays with a router bushing set, I can understand where a heart shape would prove difficult to follow at the top intersection. Just a thought, stop short of the tip of that area and when you slice the inlay from the mother piece, do the final portion of the cut by hand. Even with a clear base, it is nearly impossible to see what the cutter is doing and exactly where you are on the template.

A small router is easier to use than a large one for this type of work.

Jonathan Spool
02-23-2009, 5:09 PM
Thanks,
I am using a Festool Trim router so the size is OK. I just can't feel the end of the template when I'm moving toward the center of the heart. Typical of me to choose one of the more difficult shapes to begin with. Somehow, I get the feeling that A nice oval on the box just wouldn't convey the same message as a heart! I like the idea of finishing the final part of the heart with a good chisel. I'll do some practicing.
Sorry about no pics yet. I still have to figure out how to downsize them and post them here.
Jonathan