PDA

View Full Version : 18" Northfield jointer. Take a closer look or pass?

jeff begin
02-23-2009, 12:09 AM
I found an estate sale that includes a few pieces of antique iron. The one that stood out to me the most is an 18" Northfield jointer.

http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww265/jamieb_mich/northfield.jpg

Would this be worth restoring or at least looking into? What is something like this worth (since the seller has no clue and is asking for offers)? I've never restored a piece of machinery, but my father is a retired tool and die maker and something like this might make a good team project.

Mike Wellner
02-23-2009, 12:18 AM
You should go over to OWWM.com

Brian Kent
02-23-2009, 12:19 AM
If you like restoring tools, I think you stumbled on a true gem. I'll let others with more knowledge talk about costs.

jeff begin
02-23-2009, 12:37 AM
You should go over to OWWM.com
Thanks for the tip.

Frank Drew
02-23-2009, 12:37 AM
Jeff,

I'm not aware of an 18" jointer from Northfield, but they have made 8", 12", 16" and 24" models, and make both medium (formerly "light") duty and heavy duty versions. If I'm not mistaken, your photo shows a heavy duty model. Meaning that it's a top class, industrial quality jointer, among the best ever made in this country (not that the medium duty weren't also very serious pieces of business.)

But you'll have to find out more about this machine before deciding whether or not to make an offer; such as, is it direct drive or belt drive? Do you have access to three phase power, or are you willing to get either a replacement motor or a phase converter or VFD? Do you have room, and can you move an extremely heavy machine? Is the machine in good shape (i.e. nothing broken, no major flaws)?

The short answer, however, is yes, this would definitely be worth looking into. There was a very recent thread here on another (?) Northfield 16" jointer:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=103769

jeff begin
02-23-2009, 12:42 AM
It wouldn't be my first choice of a hobby, but it tangentially touches on my interest in woodworking enough that I'd be willing to give it a shot at least once. I'm fairly certain that my father would be all over the idea though. And it would be nice to find a shared interest with him. I'd have no clue where I'd fit something like this though once it's restored. lol

jeff begin
02-23-2009, 12:52 AM
Thanks for the info. Neither my father nor I have 3-phase, but he's occasionally talked about getting around to building a phase converter. Something like this could be enough of an excuse.

Moving it is likely to be a minor issue. I might be able to bribe my brother-in-law to let me use the solid steel trailer he uses to haul farm equipment. I have a half-ton pickup that should be able to handle the load, but a better choice would be hooking it up to my father's 3/4" ton truck. I'm sure either of us would have room in our garages to restore it. Long term storage might be another issue though...

What is the value in these older machines? I assume that the motors are occasionally replaced in addition to the consumables like belts and blades. Should the only thing I care about is the table flatness and the rack-and-pinion (or whatever) mechanism that allows for adjustment?

Rick Fisher
02-23-2009, 2:02 AM
That is likely one of the best jointers that has ever been made.

Probably worth $15K new.

Steve Rozmiarek
02-23-2009, 2:13 AM
Jeff, you've got to make sure that jointer dosen't end up in some scrap yard some place! Heck, buy it, and list it here, bet you'd make money. I agree with Rick's thoughts.

Rick Fisher
02-23-2009, 2:17 AM
Scrap yard !!! :eek:

That would be a mortal sin.

If you let that machine go to a dump... The woodworking gods will be angry with you. You know what that could mean?
That could be one of the great restoration projects you would ever do. You should check out the job Joe Jensen did on a 12" SCMI jointer as inspiration.

If that machine where within 100 miles of me, I would pay $1500 - $2000 for it sight unseen. Its likely a 16" machine. Its not uncommon for the bed to be an inch or two wider than the cutterhead. In practical terms, its an aircraft carrier. :)

Do the right thing :)

Shaun Wesley
02-23-2009, 6:44 AM
This was posted on another forum in reference to the estate sale posted on craigslist.

The seller advised he had already received an offer of 2000 for the jointer. So plan on spending more than that since you are estimating cost.

Alex Shanku
02-23-2009, 8:13 AM
If you dont know what its worth, and you have never restored an old machine like that, I would say pass that up.

Chip Lindley
02-23-2009, 10:46 AM
Restoration centers around the motor and cutter head bearings. Insuring the motor is in good working condition is crucial to restoration since it is intregal with the cutterhead on one shaft. IF the motor is shot, BIG BUCKS to have it rewound! The starter switch will have to be checked out and perhaps updated.

Other than that, restoration is just cleaning and painting. The in- and outfeed tables should still be flat if they have not been abused. The tables should be removed to clean the dovetail ways and lube them. That will be a big job for a lift ( or 2 or 3 enthusiastic friends) The jointer still has its bladeguard. Thats a big PLUS!

Decision is YOURS, but restorations of this sort are usually most profitable if you plan to use the big machine yourself. Making a *killing* by reselling may disappoint you! Especially if you invest $2000 !! An Identical Northfield 16" brought $805 at a GSA auction close to me earlier this month. Now thats a BARGAIN!