PDA

View Full Version : An Opportunity to build a cabin.(questions)

Jose Kilpatrick
02-22-2009, 11:53 PM
I was visiting my parents this weekend. I was in town for a wedding and stayed at their place. I took the opportunity to cut up a cedar log that I've had drying for a couple of years to do some bird house projects and Me and my dad were discussing a portable sawmill.

He has about 60 acres with lots of old growth trees that I've mentioned I want to cruise to claim a couple to have milled. He is going to buy a chainsaw mill soon for a couple of projects he wants to complete and to get me some boardfeet as well.

So... We were discussing a 'real' portable bandsawmill vs. a chansaw mill and he casually said "Well, if this dang ol' chain saw mill aint what its cracked up to be, then we may just have to go ahead and get one them real sawmills"

I told him that it's quite a bit of money to spend on equipment, unless he wants to get into sawyer work. (but not really considering what he just spent on getting 50 yards of blacktop driveway installed this weekend)

He said, "Well, then I guess you'd have to come down and cut up enough wood to build ya self a cabin down here"

After discussing the idea a bit, he told me that I could pick out a spot on the perimeter of his acerage and build a cabin or retreat or second home or whatever I Wanted.

I gave it some considerable thought. Either buying my own land and building or taking his offer and all the benefits lean toward building a retreat cabin there in the woods where I grew up.

Of course the first reason would be that I wouldn't have to buy any land to begin the project. Secondly, all the equipment I would need could be stored at his shop and what between both of us, we probably have all the tools and resources needed. He's a welder, so he has a welding truck, also has two tractors and knows most of the people that live within a 30 mile radius, so bartering for things will always be an option.

I suppose that one would argue the point of building a cabin so close to one's parents, however, I spend every holiday, including a week during Christmas, at my parents house anyway. So having my own place at my parents place would be a win win.

Then there's the argument of building a house on property one does not rightfully own. But, he told me to pick a spot on a location that wouldn't make it hard to split up the land when he was ready to deed it to me and my siblings. no problem there.

So, after giving it about 3 hours of thought on the drive back home, I realized I've been bitten by the cabin building bug.

So far I've ran into a few variables.
There's the idea of on the grid or off the grid or both.
There the choice on actual size.
Style and floor plan.
and Budget.

The initial idea began as free land, free lumber, and free time in which it would be built. But as I began to think, this and that would be nice, and maybe these things would be required, I came to realize that I may have to balance both necessity and luxury as well as thrift and price.

I do have a lot of questions, and I've got a few of them answered so far, but I'm curious about a couple of things.

Foremost, if we end up cutting and milling lumber to build a cabin, can I build with green lumber, or must I sacrifice the time to allow it to air dry?

Are there any cabin builders on the forum that can direct me to some good websites dedicated to DIY Cabin building?

John Shuk
02-23-2009, 7:42 AM
"The initial idea began as free land, free lumber, and free time in which it would be built. But as I began to think, this and that would be nice, and maybe these things would be required, I came to realize that I may have to balance both necessity and luxury as well as thrift and price."

Unfortunately with building codes and subdivision laws being what they are this could turn into a much bigger (and more expensive) project than just a small retreat.

It is a very generous offer and I would seriously look into it. You could build a small cabin that is very servicable for not much money. I wish you the very best with it. If you do move forward please update us on what you find to be involved since I myself would love to get a piece of land somewhere and do something similar.

Jose Kilpatrick
02-23-2009, 11:31 AM
I'm not worried about building permits really. I wouldn't need to bring the local gov into the picture unless I got electrical, sewer and water hookups. I looked at the city data for the area and there have only been 3 building permits filed in the past 12 years.

Ted Calver
02-23-2009, 11:51 AM
What a great opportunity!! Think solar panels or wind power, timber frame....WOW!! This would be a good time to sketch out a family subdivision with your dad so as not to rile the rest of the family....these things can get ugly.

Belinda Barfield
02-23-2009, 12:20 PM
Sounds like a great opportunity, but maybe that's because I've really gotten homesick for the country lately. Moving back so close to home can be a negative, but it sounds like you and your dad have a very good relationship. This could be a nice opportunity to learn from his wisdom as well, and spend some quality time with him outside of the hustle and bustle of holidays. Please keep us posted, with lots of pics. I'm seeing rough sawn boards for interior walls, big fireplace, lots of windows so I can watch nature do its thing, and lots of leather . . . oops, that's my dream, not yours. Is it by chance in an area that has lots of dramatic thunderstorms? If so, can your dad adopt me? ;) Good luck!

Jose Kilpatrick
02-23-2009, 1:12 PM
I like your vision, it's similar to mine.

I'm thinking something along the lines of 16 x 20, tall gable roof with room for a loft just big enough for a bed, nightstand and dressar positioned over the kitchen and a covered porch around the entire perimeter of the building built on pier and beam. Also thining peeled cedar poles for exterior banisters and vertical supports. My brother in law said he would provide me with some older solar panels removed from his oil well sites free of charge and I suspect I will power it via 12volts.
For heat, I already have a wood burning stove ready for a new home which would serve for heating and cooking. A/C for the summer is the only thing I've yet to determine a method for.
Of course, this is all still an idea in its' infancy.
After consulting with some people that know the area, they said "hell no" to requesting a building permit and said unless I expect to install a septic system, there is no reason to obtain any permit since there will be no accessible road to get to it, no electricity, no metered water.