PDA

View Full Version : Butcher block sealing or How not to start a fire at the fire station

Hank Moreman
02-22-2009, 10:37 PM
what is the best way to liquify perrafin wax and mineral oil together. My shop is on the backside of a firestation and I sure don't want to be the guy that started a fire there, I'll be using their kitchen so clean up needs to be a factor.

Dan Friedrichs
02-22-2009, 10:41 PM
I've never done it, but I would imagine a double-boiler on the stove would do it. Put your wax and oil in an old coffee can (or something), and sit that can in a pot of boiling water. You shouldn't have to worry about fire because the wax/oil will never get above 212*F.

Jerry White
02-22-2009, 11:30 PM
Here's how I have done it. Shred the paraffin ahead of time for ease of melting. Use a double boiler with water in the bottom pan to heat the mineral oil. Add the paraffin when the oil is hot enough to melt a test piece of the wax. When the paraffin is all melted, stir the mixture and pour into a container.

Cleanup can be done easily with hot soapy water.

Brian Effinger
02-22-2009, 11:55 PM
Definitely the double boiler. Don't - under any circumstances - melt it in a single pot over a heat source. You won't get a fire, but a whole lot of smoke. I can't say how I know this ;), but trust me on this.

Fred Pickering
02-23-2009, 12:59 AM
Just melt the wax in a double boiler. when it is melted just pore the wax into the oil or thinner. There is no need to heat the oil if it is room temp.

Fred P.............

Bill Huber
02-23-2009, 1:16 AM
The last time I did it I just used the Microwave and it worked fine.

I shaved the wax into the mineral oil and then put it in the Microwave, heated it up and stirred it up and then another min. and stirred it some more.

Jeff Clow
02-23-2009, 12:39 PM
I have not done the mix with mineral spirits, but use melted paraffin to seal fresh cut logs (for turning).
I picked up a crock pot from Good Will for $6.00. I cut up the blocks, to melt easier. It takes some time for the crock pot to melt the batch (2 or 3 boxes). There was no smoke, no smell, just melted wax. There is no open flame, or open heating element, so very little fire danger.
When done, I just turn it off & unplug, leaving the wax in the pot. Next time I use it, I just plug it in, turn it on & wait for it to melt again.