PDA

View Full Version : Mini Lathe for Beginner

Justin Green
02-22-2009, 10:37 PM
I'm looking into turning and was wondering what are the size limitations for projects on a mini lathe. I'm really wanting to make tool handles, drawer pulls, and other small items. I've really no ambitions to do bowls or long pieces like table legs or baseball bats or anything of that size (at this point :))...

Given a decent mini lathe, what would be the typical lengths and diameter of project one could do?

Ken Fitzgerald
02-22-2009, 10:42 PM
Justin,

I started with a Jet 1014 VS...variable speed. Today I'd recommend a Jet 1220 VS. The variable speed is handy.

Regardless of what mini you get...get the lowest possible "Low Speed" you can.

My Jet 1014 VS had a low speed of 500 rpm. That's too fast IMHO. You put a out of balance blank on there (Max diameter 10" if it's round to begin with) and when you turn it on at 500 rpm...it will definitely get your attention!

The Jet 1220 VS will turn 12" diameter , a length of 20" and has a low speed of 275 rpm IIRC.

There are a number of manufactures out there produce a good mini....Rikon, Jet, General International, and others.

Most of the minis...you can buy a bed extension for under $100 if you wanted to turn longer spindles.

Justin Green
02-22-2009, 10:44 PM
Thanks a lot, Ken. It sounds like a mini lathe would suit me and the work I'd like to do!

Dean Thomas
02-22-2009, 10:49 PM
Look at the specs on the mini/midi (Delta's name for a mini).

Jet & Delta are 10x14 lathes. 10" maximum diameter and 14" nominal between centers. Some really DO get 14", most don't. My 1236 gets like 34.5" between centers.

Rikon's mini is 12x16 and I think their measurements are actually honest, that you CAN get a 16" chunk between centers. Nice quality lathe, but not electronically variable speed control (evs). Same $$ or less than the Jet 1014 most days.

Jet's latest model is a 1220 and gives you 12" max diameter with 20" between centers and the ability to add an extension to get long enough for balusters and baseball bats. Available both in basic and evs models.

Does that help? Buy quality!!! Don't buy twice.

Neal Addy
02-22-2009, 10:54 PM
I agree with Ken. Minis are a great way to get started for little money. Don't let the name "mini" fool you. They're serious lathes.

I also started on a Jet 1014 and highly recommend it. But the 1220VS is even more lathe for the money. You'll love the VS and low-end speed as well as the extra 2" of swing.

There are quite a few minis on the market. See this page (http://www.nealaddy.org/pub/Lathe_List.html) for a listing. Turncrafter also gets decent reviews as does quite a few others. The things to look for are 1) decent low-end speed (500 or lower is best), 2) no huge gaps between speed ranges, 3) quality build and ergonomics, and 4) track record. IMHO, Jet is the yardstick by which to measure other minis. They know what turners need and their track record is very good.

HTH!

Gordon Seto
02-22-2009, 11:51 PM
Sound advice. Don't overlook the service and warranty. Some as short as 1 year, and some 5 years.
And let Google be your friend; do a search on "(insert brand) lathe service". A lengthy warranty but too much hassle to get support is not good either.
A quality mini is better than a mediocre full size lathe.

Dewey Torres
02-23-2009, 1:28 AM
I will say something others haven't yet...

I have the Jet 122O vs and it should not be called a mini. The thing rocks and I have only been turning for a few weeks.

Advice:

Get the best mini you can afford that will retain its sell value.

Reason:

You will either love turning so much you want a bigger lathe and will be able to sell it ... or

You hate turning and will still be able to sell it.

I doubt it will be the later...
Turning is very fun and addictive!

... oh and harder than it looks on TV:o

Scott Conners
02-23-2009, 1:39 AM
A Jet 1014(VS or not) with a bed extension is an impressively capable lathe. I've turned bowls, 4 poster beds, tool handles, bottle stoppers etc. I wish I'd gone for the 1220 when I first started, though as soon as I have space I'll be moving up to a 16"+ lathe.
I found the 14" length not quite enough for lathe tool handles after chucks and waste areas, though it might work for other tools.

alex carey
02-23-2009, 3:36 AM
I'd say start with the jet 12x20 VS model. Keep in mind tools and possible a chuck that you'll have to buy. You may want to do small stuff now but once you start turning I'm guessing you want to try some bowls and so on.

You might want to find a local turner perhaps at a local club and try to get some times on a lathe. Just try a bowl once and chances are you'll get hooked.

Alex

Wyatt Holm
02-23-2009, 1:45 PM
Jet mini lathe Is what I would say.

Benjamin Dahl
02-23-2009, 1:57 PM
Justin, my first lathe was the Rikon mini and it is solid. Does not have the variable speed but changing belts is easy. Not sure what the price difference for the Jet vs is but that could be worth it. for what you are talking about I don't think vs is needed but could be nice if you start to do bowls.
Ben

Kyle Iwamoto
02-23-2009, 3:31 PM
If I had to start again, I'd go for the Rikon Mini too. Cheaper than the Jet and bigger. Although Jet now has a 12" mini. More money though. It seemed to me that the Rikon had less power than my 1014 though. Any of these "minis" are a good start. If you can spring for variable speed, do it. There are so many times I wish I had. Not much of a problem to switch belts though.
I'd stay away from the Craf--mans though. I started on a Craf--man and the Jet is a huge improvement. Had lots of little problems and it had way less power.
Someday I'll upgrade to a big lathe. No room or money right now.

Allen Neighbors
02-23-2009, 7:52 PM
All the aforementioned lathes are bound to be worth the money, but, at the risk of being different... If you want to get one with an outstanding track record, and an outstanding resale value, you can't go wrong with the Vicmarc VL 100. Pricey, but you get what you pay for. :D

Barry Stratton
02-24-2009, 12:20 AM
Gotta toss my vote in for a mini as well.

Although Ken only turns real small stuff like pens and bottlestoppers on a PM3520b:p......so don't rule that out either.

You can turn tiny stuff on a big lath but you can't turn big stuff on a tiny lathe.........

Dewey Torres
02-24-2009, 12:32 AM
Gotta toss my vote in for a mini as well.

Although Ken only turns real small stuff like pens and bottlestoppers on a PM3520b:p......so don't rule that out either.

You can turn tiny stuff on a big lath but you can't turn big stuff on a tiny lathe.........

Hey now... Ken is my buddy and if he want's to turn minis on a monster that is up to him.

I am the reason he does that BTW! He used to have a mini:p

(post is all in fun ok:D:D:D)

Jeff Nicol
02-24-2009, 7:17 AM
I'm looking into turning and was wondering what are the size limitations for projects on a mini lathe. I'm really wanting to make tool handles, drawer pulls, and other small items. I've really no ambitions to do bowls or long pieces like table legs or baseball bats or anything of that size (at this point :))...

Given a decent mini lathe, what would be the typical lengths and diameter of project one could do?
Justin, The best answer and the one used the most is buy the biggest and best lathe you can afford right off. This gaurentees that when not if you decide to do larger and longer things you are ready for it. I turn 1" tall miniatures on ay 3520B and 10" bowls on my Steel City mini. Each lathe has it's abilities and place in the shop. I have 3 lathes and can't live without any of them! So decide what you want to spend and what you want to have when you spend the money; such as tools, rests, chucks, adapters, faceplates, sanding equipment etc. But for the money the Steel City mini is hard to beat, has VS and built solidly. The rikons are good but no VS. The jet Midi VS is the class act of the small lathes unless you go for an Australian made brand. Generals are good too. This type of question gets asked many times and we have posted the answers many times. The question is to open ended and there are lots and lots of answers. You may not like the color of a certain lathe and won't buy it for that reason alone, we really don't know.

Maybe Steve or Ken can make a sticky that lists all the lathes available and their pros and cons so new turners can click on that and see all the info that is available. Lots work but might be worth the effort.

I get long winded some days and have to much information bounceing around my head!! I better get out in the shop!!

Have fun and good luck with whichever lathe you choose!

Jeff

Keith Burns
02-24-2009, 8:28 AM
If you are not in a hurry, Delta has a new VS Midi coming out around the first of April. I don't know what the price is going to be but I have seen it and it looks super.

Bill Bulloch
02-24-2009, 9:38 AM
Justin, You may not have any ambition to do bowls or larger project now, but, you probably will when you get hooked on turning like the rest of us. So, I'd suggest you buy as much lathe as you can afford right now. On of the best value in small lathes that I have found is the General 25-200. It is a VS maxi lathe, with a swiveling head. It's a little pricey, around $550.00, but look at what you get.
http://www.general.ca/pagemach/machines/25200a.html

Neal Addy
02-24-2009, 10:17 AM
Maybe Steve or Ken can make a sticky that lists all the lathes available and their pros and cons so new turners can click on that and see all the info that is available. Lots work but might be worth the effort.
See my earlier post above for a lathe list or check here:

http://www.nealaddy.org/pub/Lathe_List.html (http://www.nealaddy.org/pub/Lathe_List.html)

This is a fairly complete list of all lathes currently available (new) on the North American market (there may be one or two missing - I've yet to add the "Excelsior" currently being offered by Rockler).

As far as pros and cons, any information I (or anyone else) could add would be purely subjective. One would have to have experience on multiple lathes to even offer a semi-valid comparison. The best that potential buyers can do is exactly what is being done here: ask for opinions and understand that opinions are exactly what they are getting. Enough good reports about a particular model probably means it's worth a look.

Brian McDermaid
02-24-2009, 11:08 AM
I guess I'm the outcast here... I have a cheap-o PSI non-VS midi lathe (http://www.pennstateind.com/store/TCLPRO.html)($180) and I'm very happy.

I've used the jet mini at woodcraft and IMHO my PSI is just as good. When (if) i decide to move to a larger lathe I'm quite sure I'll be able to sell it for about what i paid (Its easier to sell a $150 lathe then it is a $400 lathe on the local craigslist :))

Art Kelly
02-24-2009, 3:33 PM
I bought the Rikon the last time WC had it on sale. I was a little goosey about getting a non-VS, but was instantly surprised at how easy it is to change speeds. I can change belt position with one hand in about 30 seconds. I just haven't figured out how to do it without turning it off, yet.:eek:

Also, the lowest speed is OK. Much slower and turning out-of-round items gets harder because the tool will "fall into" the empty space every time it goes by. At a little faster speed, it's easier to keep that form happening so much. (My lathe is bolted to a several-hundred pound bench, so vibration from out-of-round is pretty well damped out.)

$0.02

Art