PDA

View Full Version : Permission to come aboard Capn!

Chris Thompson
07-11-2004, 8:10 PM
I thought I'd announce myself as a newly reborn neaderthal.

I began buying woodworking equipment four years ago, while working a high paid dotcom job. I was collecting gear with the intent of turning my two car garage into a woodworking shop. That got complicated when my scattered mind also decided that if one hobby was good, two was better, and a 1973 MGB in "almost running" condition took up residence in the right half of the garage. And so, I always had this stack of equipment in the garage doing nothing, disorganized, and stacked in a corner, unusable. Over the last four years, one kid became two, and two became three. Free time? What's that?

This year I decided enough was enough, and decided that I was going to reclaim my dreams of woodworking. I made myself a very rough but strong utility table out of 2x4 and 4x4. Not a workbench, but I had no other place in the garage to set stuff, other than the floor, or the trunk of said 73 MGB.

I learned something in making that bench. Many people talk about woodworking as therapy, and it's not just idle chatter. I was calm, contented and smiling, despite the fact that I'd been laid off from my job just the week before and was having trouble finding work. As I cut dados in 4x4 stock to lap in the 2x4 runners, I was almost giddy as the sawdust flew.

So I've spent the last few weeks reading everything I can about shops and woodworking. I've laid plans to sell the MGB hulk and reclaim my garage. And a chance random post on the forums over at bt3central.com by Don "Pappy" Griggs about refurbing old Stanley/Bailey metal planes really made the lightbulb above my head flicker to life.

And slowly I read the bulk of the Neanderthal forum here. Every time I'd see a brand name (Disston? Who's that?) I'd open another browser and find out everything I could. And so, I feel like I now have to come clean... I've become a neanderthal, albeit a very green rookie one.

In my dazed excitement of my conversion, I spent some time at ebay late last week and, well, kind of went overboard. Headed my way by US Post are ...

Bailey #5C
uh, another #5, this one not a C
Bailey #4
uh, another Bailey #4
Marples/Record #4
A nameless #4
A Nameless #5
And, thrown in with one of those Bailey #4's, for free, was yet another #5, and a no-name block plane of some sort.

So, I'm one of you now. Please be prepared for a barrage of newbie questions.

Carl Eyman
07-11-2004, 8:23 PM
Thw Neander answers will have to come from others. but welcome, I'll learn with you by reading the mail, and I know you'll enjoy.

Dick Parr
07-11-2004, 8:53 PM
Chris, Welcome to the SMC.

Tyler Howell
07-11-2004, 9:25 PM
Welcome aboard Sailor, Stow your gear and report to a comfortable posn. Great bunch here, Good source of valuable information. Glad to have you aboard.;)

Dave Anderson NH
07-12-2004, 5:21 AM
We're always glad to welcome a Neanderthal or a Neander wannabe. Your questions will always get answers here though sometimes it takes a bit of time before everyone shows up. I suspect you have some serious cleaning, tuning, and fettling work ahead of you and we'll be here for you.

Gary Whitt
07-12-2004, 8:51 AM
Welcome aboard!!! :)
Glad to have you with us...

Alan Turner
07-12-2004, 9:59 AM
Chris,
Welcome to the world where cordless can have an aerobic meaning.
Alan

Matthew Springer
07-12-2004, 1:28 PM
Yet another neander techie! Brother!

So, are you located in one of the perrennial dotcom havens (SFBay, Austin) or someplace more condusive to neader pursuits?

Marc Hills
07-12-2004, 3:31 PM
Welcome to the group, Chris. There are lots of great folks here to answer your questions.

"Many people talk about woodworking as therapy, and it's not just idle chatter. I was calm, contented and smiling, despite the fact that I'd been laid off from my job just the week before and was having trouble finding work."

I hear you. I think on one level or another most of us recognize that the time we spend working wood is something more than just a craft. My personal theory has something to do with the very complicated role men occupy in modern society, one that isn't nearly as well defined as it was even a single generation ago. Working with our hands answers a very basic need; for at least as long as I am in my shop, life is reduced to very simple terms: the wood, the tools and my creative impulses. I guess you can say that as I'm not quite ready to don a loin cloth, run into the woods and bang on a drum, woodworking satisfies something I'm not getting in my work/social life (apologies to Robert Bly).

Ken Fitzgerald
07-12-2004, 3:41 PM
Welcome to the 'Creek Chris. Leave or take infor as you deem necessary!

Aaron Kline
07-12-2004, 10:07 PM
Welcome! I also just joined the neander side and so far it is great. What convinced you to go with non-electric tools? What got me was a combo of a near broken nose experience with tablesaw kickback, routers that have two very sharp blades spinning at 20,000 rpm making all kinds of noise and just a yearn to experience what history was like.

Richard Gillespie
07-13-2004, 7:44 AM
Welcome Chris! I started the slide into hand tools years ago. It has accelerated into a free fall in the past year. However, I still retain and use the shop full of power equipment I have. I use the power tools for speed and initial stock preparation and then refine it with hand tools. Working as a handyman I had to duplicate some antique baseboard and a hand beader was the only tool that would come close to matching the profile.

Chris Thompson
07-14-2004, 1:05 AM
Thanks for the kind words all. I've since updated my profile with a bit more information. I'm here in dreary Cincinnati, Ohio, for example.

As for what made me find the neander-religion, well, money, honestly. I'm laying plans to build a wall mounted tool case, and wanted to dovetail the top and sides together. I thought "I need a dovetail router bit and some sort of dovetail jig..." and realized how much cash that is.

However, a Stanley dovetail saw and a set of Marples Blue Chip chisels cost me $35 at the local Lowes. I'm not fond of the Stanley, and am watching ebay for something old, and with an open tote though :)

And I was wondering how to true up the edges of these 1x6 boards I have, as I need to join them together to make wider stock. A jointer is expensive, I guess I could buy a straight cutting bit and a long straightedge for my router...

Or I can drop $15 on an old Stanley #5 and spend a few days refurbing it.

Really, that just got me in the door. Once I allowed myself to think that way, I realized that I was way overthinking everything.

I'm not sure I'll ever use a moulding plane to cut a crown molding, and I'm still looking for a big bandsaw, but the fact that older-is-better with planes now has me looking at old Rockwell 23" bandsaws for $500 instead of Laguna's for $1500. Call me pseudoneander :)

And Marc, I realized years ago that as an old school computer geek who spends most of his days "Digital", I needed to find an "Analog" pursuit. For me historically, it's been cooking. I love to cook and think nothing of spending HOURS in the kitchen. It's the same with woodworking, though I'm just a mere rookie in that area.

I had never thought of it in your terms, but it's an interesting prospect. I wouldn't want to go off topic too far here, but I agree with you. I think that there are many facets of our lives that derive from the sociological changes in the last 50 years. And I'll leave it at that.

My first #5 was supposed to arrive today, and didn't. Hopefully tomorrow!!

Tom Stovell
07-15-2004, 9:36 AM
Chris,
I am up north of you near Dayton. There is a whole world of knowledge here about the proper care and use of tools....I wouldn't be surprised if you wind up making some tools eventually. All kinds of inspiration for that as well. Cincinnati should be a pretty good place to find some older tools, good luck in your pursuits.

Tom