PDA

View Full Version : mallee burl

Robert McGowen
02-22-2009, 6:55 PM
I purchased some mallee burl from Double Dog Burl off of the internet. It was my first purchase from them. Customer service was great and turn around from when I actually placed my order was just one day. (No affiliation with company.) I purchased several burls and started with one of the smaller ones to see what I was getting myself into. Plus, this was my first time to turn something since my total knee replacement a few months ago, so it has been a while since the last time I turned.

I started it between centers, moving the tail stock around until I got the wood in the best orientation. I then smoothed off the front a few inches from the middle so that there was a flat surface for a face plate at a 90 degree angle to the tail stock, attached the face plate, and basically turned it like a regular bowl from there. This stuff is hard! I broke 2 screws removing the face plate and you don't really make shavings, so much as small chips, even with a sharp gouge.

10.5" x 7.5" x 1.5" tall. Red mallee with 2 coats of danish oil and buffed.
Thanks for looking.

Bernie Weishapl
02-22-2009, 7:30 PM
Robert that is a beautiful piece. Really nice wood and color.

Toney Robertson
02-22-2009, 7:56 PM
Now that is flat out gorgeous.

Beautiful wood and wonderful form.

Toney

PS. Did you ever do anything with that piece of spalted maple?

David Christopher
02-22-2009, 8:17 PM
Beautiful bowl Robert, glad to hear youre back turning

Steve Schlumpf
02-22-2009, 8:34 PM
Beautiful bowl/platter Robert! Love the wood! Amazing color! Hope all the standing at the lathe wasn't to painful for you! Good to have you turning again!

Steve Campbell
02-22-2009, 9:32 PM
Beautiful bowl Robert. Just love the color and texture.

Steve

Barry Stratton
02-22-2009, 10:18 PM
AWESOME!!!! and it didn't involve gluing 4 bajillion little pieces of wood together.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-22-2009, 10:22 PM
Robert...absolutely gorgeous in every way....form...finish and wood! Absolutely gorgeous!

Richard Madison
02-22-2009, 11:38 PM
Beautiful piece Robert. Glad to see you are getting "back in the saddle" again.

Jeff Nicol
02-23-2009, 7:11 AM
Robert, Beautiful bowl! I turned one piece of red mallee burl and you are right it is hard! The piece I had was much smaller only 8x5x2 and I left most of the outside bumps on the top. The blank cost me $40 and I sold the completed piece for $135 so did O.K. Wish I had some friends in Australia that could get some from cheap!

Great job,

Jeff

Tony De Masi
02-23-2009, 7:38 AM
Beautiful work Robert. I may have to try one some day.

So how did the rehab on the knee go? I'll assume it was somewhat successful since you were able to stand at your lathe.

Tony

Paul Douglass
02-23-2009, 11:30 AM
Beautiful piece. Looks so delicate and fragile.

Jim Becker
02-23-2009, 11:33 AM
Spectacular piece!

Robert McGowen
02-23-2009, 9:44 PM
Thanks for the comments. I have several more burls to work on, including some in the 15"-16" range. At a $100 each for the bigger burls with shipping, I really don't want to make any expensive mistakes!

Toney - I have not turned the maple yet. I received it about the time I had surgery, so it is actually still sitting in the post office box out in the shop.

Everyone that asked - total knee replacement surgery would have to be the most painful surgery and rehab ever. Being fairly young and active for a knee replacement has not helped at all. I was told that it would probably be a year before I was completely healed, but I am getting there. Thanks for all the PM's and kind words. And for the it-did-not-happen-without-photos people, here you go. :D

Barry Stratton
02-23-2009, 10:03 PM
Dang Robert, you'd have thought they'd have used a slimmer knee cap!:D

Heal quick!

Toney Robertson
02-23-2009, 10:19 PM
Well, as Kenau Reeves said in The Replacements

"Chicks dig scars"

:D

Toney

alex carey
02-24-2009, 4:10 AM
pretty piece of wood and nice job with it, and this is a gnarly scar.

Keith Burns
02-24-2009, 8:31 AM
Nice job on the burl Robert. Nice job on the knee too.